Liam Millar

Northvansteve

Aside from being impressed generally with his game out wide, I was even more impressed he looked good upfront. Could be a great option behind Cavallini/Larin/Haber. 

Hoilett and I think Davies could also go through the centre too. We have some really nice options with everyone available and fit.

He is pretty much at the bottom of the depth chart for me. Barring one good performance I have been frustrated and underwhelmed watching him. But that is for another thread. 

Cavallini, Larin, AJH, Ricketts and Tesho are all ahead at which point you also have to look at blooding younglings like Hamilton, Zanatta and hopefully David.

Millar definitely looked good. Nice speed and footwork.  Wasn't afraid to take the defenders on and left the them guessing if he was driving to the goal line or cutting back inside.  The more time he gets playing with the guys, the better recognition and understanding they will have with each other.

He seemed to have a high "soccer IQ" and an ability to read what play is available to him.  This is the first time I've seen him play, but hoping that he continues to develop.

BTW, he looks like a Klopp style of player. 

4 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

Any media / LFC comments about his debut out there today or might we see something early this week when he arrives back to UK? Would be interesting to hear club perspective or a comment from Gerrard or the U23 manger there.

Not anything from the club, but here’s an article from the Liverpool Echo news paper

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-teenager-liam-millar-another-14455234

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, spitfire said:

Wanted to share these photos of Liam's shirt that his family had framed for him from his senior debut!

He's a proper proud Canadian!! It's up in his room in Liverpool!!

liam shirt.jpg

liam plake.jpg

Totally feckin awesome!!!!!

5 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

This is so cool and love it - between Liam, Alphonso and others, love seeing the passion development for our wonderful country and the program too.

Very excited for the future with players of this caliber and also the love for the country as well

#nofencesitters

It just takes a clutch of these types of players committing to slowly turn the tide. 

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

It just takes a clutch of these types of players committing to slowly turn the tide. 

Yeah, you can talk about the need for squad depth all you want - and it is important and an indicator of overall program health - but at the end of the day there are 11 guys on the field.  And in important games, it tends to be a pretty similar starting 11 when the squad is healthy.  Assuming the coaching is decent, it doesn't take that many individual quality players to elevate our team.  And that quality is materializing.  Cav is showing some great quality up front.  If Davies fulfils even part of his potential, he will be a beast.  Millar looks like the real deal for sure - albeit still early days.  Piette is looking really solid at CDM.  Even Kaye seems to be stepping into that level of play.  

That is a really good core of potentially pretty high quality for years to come.  The gaps are obvious - defence is still unsettled, and it isn't clear that their is a natural heir to Borjan - but the future looks decent.  

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

Article today from James Pearce  in the Liverpool Echo about Liam.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/next-academy-star-perfect-jurgen-14537365

Handed a Premier League squad number by Klopp ! Does that mean he will make his debut before the seasons' end? This is very positive news

Edited by Kadenge
Edit

This is AMAZING news! I wish the Canadian media would follow him more, it’s kinda sad. Nothing against Davies or Piette but Millar  deserves  the same or maybe more coverage as these guys are getting. Everyone in Canada should know who Millar is and his story. It’s pretty  incredible, killing it in Canada as a kid and going over to England( taking a huge chance ) and working his way up to Liverpool 23’s, now maybe the senior team and being called up for the national team. he should be a huge  inspiration for young Canadian players. 

Maybe I’m wrong but I feel there is abit of MLS bias here. I wish our European based player would get more coverage, we have some talented young  players over there who are playing well and at some pretty big clubs. 

Edited by SpecialK

28 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Handed a Premier League squad number by Klopp ! Does that mean he will make his debut before the seasons' end? This is very positive news

He may see some game time closer to the end of the season, once Liverpool has secured Champions League for next season. 

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Maybe I’m wrong but I feel there is abit of MLS bias here. I wish our European based player would get more coverage, we have some talented young  players over there who are playing well and at some pretty big clubs. 

MLS bias? I don't think most of Canada really cares about MLS. I am sure most Canadians do not know who Alphonso Davies is.

45 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

MLS bias? I don't think most of Canada really cares about MLS. I am sure most Canadians do not know who Alphonso Davies is.

MLS  bias  by our small soccer media. Again I don’t mean anything against Davies and what he has  accomplished and how talented he is but when he choice Canada, everyone went crazy and mini docs were made on his family and his story, sportsnet, TSN did interviews, even his  citizenship  ceremony was flim, which is totally awesome and it was amazing too see! I want more of that! When Piette went to Montreal, the media went crazy and kinda still are crazy about it.  Laramee tries to talk about him ever chance he gets, it’s alittle much sometimes haha. 

Millar a Canadian kid, played soccer in Canada, took a chance and went over to England and worked his ass off through two  academies and now he could playing in the  Premiership for  one of the top teams in Europe, Liverpool ! I can only think of person to achieve this  accomplishment ( I won’t  mention his name, it’s still a sore spot haha joking ). There has only been one or two articles from Canadian media that I have seen from sportsnet and I think one from MLS written about him and  that was after he kick New Zealand’s ass! Where’s his mini doc ? Why he is not talked about all the time from Canada’s media? Liverpool seems like they put a article about him almost once a month. 

Edited by SpecialK