Liam Millar

Northvansteve

49 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

MLS bias? I don't think most of Canada really cares about MLS. I am sure most Canadians do not know who Alphonso Davies is.

I’m sure a lot of Canadians know who Davies is 

Edited by SpecialK

29 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

MLS  bias  by our small soccer media. Again I don’t mean anything against Davies and what he has  accomplished and how talented he is but when he choice Canada, everyone went crazy and mini docs were made on his family and his story, sportsnet, TSN did interviews, even his  citizenship  ceremony was flim, which is totally awesome and it was amazing too see! I want more of that! When Piette went to Montreal, the media went crazy and kinda still are crazy about it.  Laramee tries to talk about him ever chance he gets, it’s alittle much sometimes haha. 

Millar a Canadian kid, played soccer in Canada, took a chance and went over to England and worked his ass off through two  academies and now he could playing in the  Premiership for  one of the top teams in Europe, Liverpool ! I can only think of person to achieve this  accomplishment ( I won’t  mention his name, it’s still a sore spot haha joking ). There has only been one or two articles from Canadian media that I have seen from sportsnet and I think one from MLS written about him and  that was after he kick New Zealand’s ass! Where’s his mini doc ? Why he is not talked about all the time from Canada’s media? Liverpool seems like they put a article about him almost once a month. 

I agree with everything in your post but bottom line he still hasn't accomplished much in the eyes of the mainstream media. When he steps on the field for the senior team and starts earning 7 figures a year the attention will come. Until then he's just another kid with a ton of potential.

Edited by johnyb

28 minutes ago, johnyb said:

I agree with everything in your post but bottom line he still hasn't accomplished much in the eyes of the mainstream media. When he steps on the field for the senior team and starts earning 7 figures a year the attention will come. Until then he's just another kid with a ton of potential.

Yup. Brooks Lennon was a Liverpool u18 star winger three years ago and made the Liverpool bench three or four times. Now he's a left back at RSL. Until they are producing at the pro level, nothing is guaranteed.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

I’m sure a lot of Canadians know who Davies is 

I don’t know about the rest of Canada but here in BC most of my friends that aren’t even soccer fans know who Alphonso is. They definitely don’t know who Liam is though. My one friend who cheers for liver pool but doesn’t pay attention to our national team (cheers for England) didn’t even know they had a Canadian in their Academy. 

If there was a reason for people knowing the MLS guys more than Millar, it is because Millar is still on the youth teams. Once Millar breaks into that squad (knocka on wood furiously) he will be well known by the plenty of Canadians that follow Europe more than MLS

The reality is that there is an MLS bias of coverage, but it is perfectly understandable since they broadcast the MLS games that the Canadians are playing in.  Of course they talk about them more than they do about the Euro players - it is in the cohtext of them broadcasting and promoting their own content.  Plus, Millar is really just getting the exposure now.  If he continues on his current trajectory, we will absolutely be hearing about him in the context of Canadian soccer media.

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

And he is in Europe.  Even in our digital social media world there is something to be said for being local.  If he was tearing it up in Van, Toronto, Montreal or even Ottawa, he would be getting the star treatment.  

He also has 0 pro minutes. Yes he is at Liverpool, but in their youth setup. Tearing it up at the youth level is not the same as someone doing the same at TFC or Whitecaps, simply because those are first team games and will get televised with more media coverage, etc.

If Millar tears it up with the Liverpool first team I guarantee he will get a lot more attention.

Just now, Bertuzzi44 said:

He also has 0 pro minutes. Yes he is at Liverpool, but in their youth setup. Tearing it up at the youth level is not the same as someone doing the same at TFC or Whitecaps, simply because those are first team games and will get televised with more media coverage, etc.

If Millar tears it up with the Liverpool first team I guarantee he will get a lot more attention.

Compare him to a guy like Foden at Man City, and I think they could be comparable (I admire Foden, I think he's very good). Man City can play a guy like that, give him first team minutes, because they are far ahead in the league, and they have also been way ahead in a lot of games. Liverpool has been in the fight the whole season, and still is. Obviously there is no clear time on the first team for Liam, not yet. 

I am not sure if Foden is definitively going to be a first team player next season.

In any case, since Gerrard is his coach and is in close contact with Klopp, I think they probably have a coherent plan for their better younger players, I trust them. Liam will play in u-23 reserves next season and have chances training with the first team, likely. They may take him to a few pre-season matches, to fill roster and considering that quite a few players will be on holiday after the WC. It makes sense to me to work a youth player in gradually, and only if it makes sense, not forcing it. 

7 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I really hope that's true, but unfortunately it remains to be seen. We don't have a sterling record of our media covering guys like Junior Hoilett when he was tearing it up for Blackburn and a target of Liverpool, or Atiba Hutchinson I am reminded of watching Champions League highlights on TSN of a game where he played well and even scored a penalty in a shootout, and his name wasn't even mentioned. Guys that have played in the Bundesliga have gotten no attention at all as well. It would be great to see Millar do well and change the trends, but we have to wait and see.

3 hours ago, honestseveran said:

My hope is that he gets loaned out next season. Even if he makes the 18, he's not going to displace Mane or lol Salah any time soon.

PL2 is still quite a good level. He is having success right now and we don't really want to mess up any chemistry he has with LFC U23's. If they genuinely think that he is ready, then sure a Championship loan would be great. But if not, PL2 us still quite good.

Of course Millar is not getting as much coverage playing on the U23 team as a young player who is becoming one of the best players on a MLS first team. However, if Millar makes any sort of break through with the Liverpool first team, his coverage will dwarf that of Alphonso and we will be taking about EPL bias. A Canadian being a starter or even a regular sub for a huge team like Liverpool would be a massive story.

Of course Davies is getting more coverage, he's a year younger, playing in Canada since 15 and has broken in effectively at the pro level and set some records.  Millar hasn't played a pro match yet so of course he's not getting coverage - but when he plays and scores it will be huge news, like Edgar in 2007 v Manchester United.  

I don't see him being loaned out and hope he doesn't.  The style and way Liverpool play, I love the fact we have a Canadian attacking option developing in that program.  Even if it is with the reserves or the U23, we can be sure he will see regular minutes, why? because Liverpool will make sure of it.  Just have to hope he has no major set-backs(injury) etc. "knock on wood", and stays on his current trajectory.  He does seem very modest and have an incredible work ethic along with the full support of Gerrard, these are all great things.

Agree with @Unnamed Trialist , after the WC and maybe during the pre-season tours, I could see a back and forth integration with some of the first team, including some training session..... with guys like Salah and Firminio.... what more could we ask for as a Canadian fan with one of our prospects!? 

Of course, he is not going to overtake one of their top 3 forwards anytime soon, but a few injuries to some first team players, or who knows perhaps a team asks for a HUGE amount of transfer $ for a player in a few years, the footy world can change quickly and fast. With the attitude we've seen from Millar's I am sure he will be ready to take his opprotunity.

My two dream scenario's: 1) 30-50% chance, 2) 1%-10% chance

1) Liverpool goes all the way in the CL, while creating some separation for a top 3 spot in the BPL.  He gets called to the first team before the season ends and gets a 10 minute run out. :)

2) Davies signs with Liverpool and in 3-7 years.....Davies and Millar are starting in Liverpool's 11 every week!

Disclaimer *** It is hard not getting crazy excited,  and he is in an excellent spot.  In reality, he still has a long waysssss to gooooooo, so for now, as a fan and supporter, I am just hoping he stays on his current trajectory. *****

Edited by apbsmith

Somehow I get the feeling the quality of training and development Millar is getting at Liverpool is better than Davies is getting at Whitecaps. Although Davies is playing 1st team minutes, and seems to be the more promising player...

So it is the age old Vs question: Go to a smaller club and get 1st team minutes, or go to a big club and have a harder time breaking through, but possibly get world-class coaching, etc. But I've usually felt that going to big clubs was not necessarily a bad idea. I think I was one of the only people here that wanted Peters to go to Chelsea instead of Ipswich (for example).

5 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Somehow I get the feeling the quality of training and development Millar is getting at Liverpool is better than Davies is getting at Whitecaps. Although Davies is playing 1st team minutes, and seems to be the more promising player...

So it is the age old Vs question: Go to a smaller club and get 1st team minutes, or go to a big club and have a harder time breaking through, but possibly get world-class coaching, etc. But I've usually felt that going to big clubs was not necessarily a bad idea. I think I was one of the only people here that wanted Peters to go to Chelsea instead of Ipswich (for example).

Tough to say how Chelsea would have worked out for Jamie Peters, but have to admit first team minutes at a young age didn't necessarily translate into career success in his case.

Minutes are everything for a young player. So a loan to a smaller club would be preferable to another year training in a really good environment. In the U18' and even the U21's there's no audience, no grown men, barely any pressure. Go to League 2 or 1 and all of that will be there. I really don't see the downside to this cause if he's really good there Liverpool will bring him back. Most players developed in England went on loans or were developed at lower level teams anyway.