Liam Millar

Northvansteve

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping he's one of our stars in 2022 and we qualify! Talented kid. Hopefully he'll be playing first team football at a strong club by then. To see him as a regular at Liverpool would absolutely be immense - but the more realistic forecast by 2022 is that he's a regular at a Championship or smaller EPL club, such as a Cardiff. I would also be pleased if he was a top player for a club like Rangers, who people have been dreaming of due to the Stevie G connection. Perhaps he will even make his way to MLS and evolve into one of the top young players in the league. I'd be happy with any of those senarios, tbh. Anything less would be a disappointment considering where he is at now with his development.

Guest Tg11
10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I'm hoping he's one of our stars in 2022 and we qualify! Talented kid. Hopefully he'll be playing first team football at a strong club by then. To see him as a regular at Liverpool would absolutely be immense - but the more realistic forecast by 2022 is that he's a regular at a Championship or smaller EPL club, such as a Cardiff. I would also be pleased if he was a top player for a club like Rangers, who people have been dreaming of due to the Stevie G connection. Perhaps he will even make his way to MLS and evolve into one of the top young players in the league. I'd be happy with any of those senarios, tbh. Anything less would be a disappointment considering where he is at now with his development.

Exactly and being in the Liverpool developmental system should only help him as far as eventually breaking into the first team. However, if that doesn't happen if it doesn't work out at Liverpool it would make more sense for him to jump to MLS playing for either TFC, Impact or the Whitecaps.

1 minute ago, Tg11 said:

Exactly and being in the Liverpool developmental system should only help him as far as eventually breaking into the first team. However, if that doesn't happen if it doesn't work out at Liverpool it would make more sense for him to jump to MLS playing for either TFC, Impact or the Whitecaps.

Spoiler

giphy.gif         In my opinion :)

If he doesn't get through to the Liverpool first team, there might still be options in the premier league, Championship, Scotland, any of the major leagues in mainland Europe... then if all else fails MLS might not be that bad a place to end up.  

Guest Tg11

Other Premier league options such as? Well if that doesn't work out could you really see Millar in the Bundesliga? French Ligue 1? Dutch Eredivisie? La Liga or Italian Serie A? Or Portuguese SuperLiga?

Guest Tg11

Why? Because in the MLS he would get a lot more playing time and it isn't so bad because just look at the stars who already play in the league for certain teams. Now do I want to see him stay in England for Liverpool? Then yes I do but let's be realistic and practical here, will he be able to break into the first team with the loaded star power they already have within their squad?

39 minutes ago, Tg11 said:

Other Premier league options such as? Well if that doesn't work out could you really see Millar in the Bundesliga? French Ligue 1? Dutch Eredivisie? La Liga or Italian Serie A? Or Portuguese SuperLiga?

Why? IF he didn't break through and hold down a place in one of the top 10 teams in the whole of Europe, where seasoned professionals can't get a game, he wouldn't be capable of doing so at another team in that league?

He is already close to breaking through to the bench, I am sure there is no shortage of people waiting to get him on loan. 

I don't necessarily see him in any of those leagues in particular but they would absolutely be better options than going to the MLS, which even with a higher standard than previous years would still be defined as backwards step. Being touted as one of the best academy products at one of the top clubs in the world is likely to get you a) noticed b) offers if it "didn't work out". 

While the MLS would be an option in the case of him being released and not working out at Liverpool it would be far from his only option and further from his best choice.

1 hour ago, Tg11 said:

You’re a troll or you have no idea what you’re talking about. Millar is one of the top young players from our country and according to your expert opinion, his ceiling is to play in the MLS if he can’t play first team for Liverpool?  C’mon man, stop with the trolling. 

i think he's gonna spend the first part of the season with LFC U23 and training lots with the first team. In the winter transfer window, I'll bet he goes out on loan to Rangers with Garrard (and Arfield) to mentor him or to a lower half championship side. The last place any of us should want to see him is in MLS.

1 hour ago, Strait Red said:

You’re a troll or you have no idea what you’re talking about. Millar is one of the top young players from our country and according to your expert opinion, his ceiling is to play in the MLS if he can’t play first team for Liverpool?  C’mon man, stop with the trolling. 

He didn't say MLS is his ceiling you are just insinuating that, but I do agree that MLS is perhaps less desirable than the aforementioned destinations.

2 hours ago, Tg11 said:

Why not?

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

While the MLS would be an option in the case of him being released and not working out at Liverpool it would be far from his only option and further from his best choice.

This.

4 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

Would be a good move if it is a first team deal. The Sunderland U23's were relegated last season and will play in the second division of Premier League 2.

Seems like he’ll start with the u23s which makes sense considering he just started at that level.  But then he’ll surely have a great shot with Sunderland in League One.. of course it’s always a worry joining a free falling club as well and in Sunderland of all places. 

26 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

If he plays first team for Sunderland then that's great because at least then he will be playing regularly against the world's best players in the Premier League and it will definitely help him to grow more as a player.

Just now, SuperCanuck said:

He'll be playing in League One against Accrington Stanley, Burton Albion and Wycombe Wanderers.  I seem to be the only one who isn't thrilled with this move.

It’s standard for prospects in England to to on loan in League One/Two, I don’t think it is worrying. 

Just to compare, Ryan Kent, another similar Liverpool youth player did go on loan in league One in Coventry City, after that Barnsley in the Championship and then last year he spent half the season in the Bundesliga with Freiburg and the other half with Bristol City (Championship). 

My point is that it’s a standard pathway and nothing worrying. He just have to produce at Sunderland and another loan in a better league will come. It proves that Liverpool thinks that he can step up to play with men in a professional league.

What could be worrying is that it’s not directly with Sunderland first team. I mean what’s the point in playing with they’re U23 team when he would play with Liverpool’s one anyway?

These two articles makes it seem like a permanent move and not a loan. https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/striker-liam-millars-expected-move-14898231 and https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-afc-round-up-cats-target-liverpool-forward-for-youth-set-up-as-ex-coach-hails-youngsters-1-9246938.

The articles position Millar's move as a rebuilding of the Sunderland academy and a view to the future.  Also a reference to LFC's depth in their academy as a block for Millar.  Doesn't sound like this would be a loan move.

I am with others being unconvinced that a transfer, not a loan, is best for Millar.  Many youngsters flounder out of top club academies, but Millar was showing much promise last year.  There would be a great upshot, and risk, to staying with LFC. Maybe Sunderland is on the verge of rebounding, but they have been a mess for so long.  Also, teams's on their way up the pyramid usually bring in new faces at each level to bring in more experience from that level - thereby pushing down current player's regardless of that players past performance for club.  All to say, a move to a League One club now will be the harder road to follow if his goal is to play in the PL.