Liam Millar

Northvansteve

http://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2018/7/13/17567210/liam-millar-is-talented-young-liverpool-forward-an-astute-piece-of-business-for-sunderland

Interesting interview with writer from Liverpool fanzine 'This is Anfield'.

Notes Millar's talent and promise but not 100% sure if he is ready for League 1 yet.  Doesn't say he isn't ready either, just that it is hard to tell even with good prospects at that age.  Also notes Millar was talented but quite raw when he arrived and steadily refined his game on his time at Anfield.

Says Liverpool probably did not keep Millar simply because they have so many young talented wing options in front of him.  They really liked him but his path to playing time was in all likelihood blocked.

Makes it sound like Sunderland might be buying but who knows if this is accurate.  Sounds like plan would be to start him out with Sunderland u23s while giving him chance to force his way into full squad.  

From what we've all seen of Liam I'm guessing he does exactly that.

Edited by Shortdutchcanuck

Just now, Keegan said:

These guys are saying he’s leaving Liverpool but from what we’ve heard it’s a loan?  Not sure how’s accurate the fanzine article is but interesting.

Yeah wondering how accurate their info is and if they have any more concrete sources than us.  @spitfire seemed pretty positive it was a loan.

Just though it gave an interesting perspective on his situation and development as a player from someone who has likely followed his progress closely.

Trust me when I say It would only be a loan Liam is going no where permanently anytime soon.(I would know) He is very happy at Liverpool and very highly rated, he is being developed as a back up in the Firmino mould... but understands the need for first team football to help develop his game. Last thing we want is for him to be a just in case player it would stifle his development...

ATM it seems he is going to stay at LFC playing in the Premier league 2 with Liverpool FC u23s and pushing for fist team opportunities in the Caribou Cup. With him likely to go out on loan in January.

He is gutted to have not gone on the first team tour to the USA but LFC had 6 players return from loan Origi. Ojo Wilson, Sturridge, Kent and Markovic... Wilson has gone to Derby Kent to Rangers...once more players go out on loan he should be in training with the first team. He is right on the fringe of the first team atm..

The one thing I never really got as a player(I played for a short time for Charlton 25 years ago...)was the mental side and how important it is..in my day u just got on with it... Liam has a mental skills coach through the club, that deals with set backs(like not going on tour, or being dropped back down) and dealing with ups and downs of the game, and injuries...it has really helped him... at the level Liam is at now that is the difference maker and the thing we lack in Canada.. the players that can deal and push through are the ones that go on to make it. The journey is a real rollercoaster ride of success and failure... 

sorry long post... 

Glad to hear he has a mental coach at LFC.  Very much needed for most, if not all youth players, especially high level ones to help them become successful pros. Also very glad that at MNT level Herdman seems to intend to fully integrate mental performance concepts and training in the international environment. Major gap in the program for years badly needing to be addressed. Here's hoping Liam does well the next few months and earns another call to the senior team.

• 3 weeks later...

He made 7 appearances in the UEFA youth league (u19)scoring 2 goals and 2 assists at the u19 level. He made 11 appearances (6 starts and 5 sub)for the U23s and had 5 assists. He has had 5 clubs including Sunderland Leeds Villa And a few others I can’t name come in for him on loan but Liverpool want to hang on to him until January 

As an 18 year old playing for Liverpool FC reserves in the PL2 at one of the top 10 clubs in the world. I think he’s done pretty well.. but what do I know... 

Edited by spitfire

5 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Very positive that Sunderland are interested in him, we shall see if a deal is in place in the coming weeks or not

I think it’s even more positive that Leeds and Aston Villa are interested in him. That means clubs from the Championship thinks he’s ready for that league. If he can avoid a loan in League One it would mean he is closer to the first team than just being perpetually loaned out.

Edited by HochelagaFC

On the basis of how they've handled Woodburn, Solanke, Wilson, Brewster, Ojo, etc...I get the strong impression that Klopp likes to keep his young prospects close for a year, or two, training with the first team players, learning the system, and getting games in the underage teams, with the odd appearance in the cups or lesser league matches. Loans to lower teams only come once he's sure that the player is sufficiently schooled in Kloppball that the system is firmly embedded. Then they can go get games.

44 minutes ago, spitfire said:

He made 7 appearances in the UEFA youth league (u19)scoring 2 goals and 2 assists at the u19 level. He made 11 appearances (6 starts and 5 sub)for the U23s and had 5 assists. He has had 5 clubs including Sunderland Leeds Villa And a few others I can’t name come in for him on loan but Liverpool want to hang on to him until January 

As an 18 year old playing for Liverpool FC reserves in the PL2 at one of the top 10 clubs in the world. I think he’s done pretty well.. but what do I know... 

Can you comment on why Liverpool want to hold on to him until January, rather than send him on loan right now?

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Can you comment on why Liverpool want to hold on to him until January, rather than send him on loan right now?

Obviously you’re not asking me but just knowing the English schedule it would put him in a prime spot to get league cup minutes as guys like Adekugbe and Twardek have benefited from more recently. 

Hoping at least!  Or even better, a big lead in Europe so he can get some group stage matches. 

12 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Obviously you’re not asking me but just knowing the English schedule it would put him in a prime spot to get league cup minutes as guys like Adekugbe and Twardek have benefited from more recently. 

Hoping at least!  Or even better, a big lead in Europe so he can get some group stage matches. 

Good points!

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

TBH they said there were a few reasons.

This is their process, they are happy for the interest in Liam. But they said it is rare for a 18 year old pro(first full year as one) to go out on loan. Woodburn, Herbie Kane, Ojaria, and Kent all waited until their second year. The first loan is very important. It has to be the right fit for the player and club. He has to go and do well and play, a bad first loan can be much worse then no loan at all. so it has to be the right fit. 

2ndly They say they want him to play u23s get a good run of games under his belt, train with the first team and have opportunities to possibly play in the Carabou cup with the first team. Again he is very highly rated and take the development very seriously. It is on their timeline and I trust it. Sure I want him to play 1st team football but what they are saying seems to make sense...

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

On the basis of how they've handled Woodburn, Solanke, Wilson, Brewster, Ojo, etc...I get the strong impression that Klopp likes to keep his young prospects close for a year, or two, training with the first team players, learning the system, and getting games in the underage teams, with the odd appearance in the cups or lesser league matches. Loans to lower teams only come once he's sure that the player is sufficiently schooled in Kloppball that the system is firmly embedded. Then they can go get games.

That sounds like a better system to me, frankly. If a kid gets a good loan situation, then great, but there is no saying he would have to play on loan either, and then you are not seeing him play or train, that's even worse. At least if he is close to home, you can watch him and bring him up. And as said, get him into some selective first team minutes.