Liam Millar

Northvansteve

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Millar is a '99, not sure he's even age eligible anymore for the U18's.

If the rules in England are the same as in Germany, he is eligible to play with the u18s until the winter break as his birthday isn't until after the season starts. Usually players that would need to move up at the halfway point are just moved up in age, however.

13 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

If the rules in England are the same as in Germany, he is eligible to play with the u18s until the winter break as his birthday isn't until after the season starts. Usually players that would need to move up at the halfway point are just moved up in age, however.

That's not how it works. There is a birth date cut-off point and i'm not sure if it's sometime in September for English academies.

liam #9 Scored the winning goal(2nd) and assisted the third in the 3rd place match in a U19 tournament game versus Juventus Final score 3-1. In Basel Switzerland good quality opposition... sorry for the ad is anyone can post without it feel free.  http://u19-turnier.ch/?page_id=22

Edited by spitfire

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

Someone who has actually played the position Millar plays would probably be a better mentor, but hopefully Gerarrd will be beneficial too.

I meant Gerrard as a mentor, as someone who has been where he has been come through the LFC academy and gone on to play for and captain his country, to win a champions league medal. To convey to him the winning mentality and prepare him for a possible professional career... Liam gets to work with him every day at the moment...

As for his current specific positional advise and guidance, Liam plays anywhere across the front three... so he currently has a few mentors working with him and the other strikers and wingers at the moment at Kirkby as part of the coaching staff at Liverpool...

Steve Heighway, Steve Mcmanaman  and possibly the best finisher to play for LFC Robbie fowler routinely mentor and run finishing sessions with Liam and the other forward players. Stevie G and Dalglish work with mids and currently Rob Jones is working with the defenders... the scholars also get paired with a first team player to watch observe and mimic...

there is an amazing culture of players returning to the club to help... 

1 hour ago, maccaliam said:

Someone who has actually played the position Millar plays would probably be a better mentor, but hopefully Gerarrd will be beneficial too.

I think you missed the point

^ No, I don't think I did but it is all perspective I guess. I agree with spitfire saying how all of those different coaches (Gerarrd included) are providing Liam with a fantastic opportunity to grow in many areas as a player. I just disagreed with the statement that in Gerarrd, Millar "couldn't have a better mentor". Unless after that photo Liam slipped, because then he is clearly learning everything Stevie knows ?

13 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

^ No, I don't think I did but it is all perspective I guess. I agree with spitfire saying how all of those different coaches (Gerarrd included) are providing Liam with a fantastic opportunity to grow in many areas as a player. I just disagreed with the statement that in Gerarrd, Millar "couldn't have a better mentor". Unless after that photo Liam slipped, because then he is clearly learning everything Stevie knows ?

"couldn't have a better mentor" was obviously just a hyperbole

11 hours ago, canta15 said:

"couldn't have a better mentor" was obviously just a hyperbole

I wrote my comments in a Valium induced state last night just after arriving home after a minor medical procedure, so I think the fact I was so coherent was a win for me. 

Regarding the hyperbole, no doubt it was and Liam is in a fantastic place to improve. Agreed about the great pic too. Good for him!

As I have seen this up close (in the Barça Masia structure), I can honestly say that there is no reason to think a youth coach has to have been a great star. There are superb coaches who maybe never made a high pro level, but really know their stuff and are excellent mentors, respected by the kids, and maybe more patient, understanding teachers than guys who had outstanding natural talent and were successful almost always.

I am sure this is true around the world, the real hard knocks training of future pros is being done by guys who may have been lower tier journeymen, with maybe a few years close to the top, or guys who had their careers ended early by injury. Guys who actually did need to find work after playing, not like your top level, top flight players who could basically retire. Or guys who started training kids in their 20s instead of at 35.

That said, proximity to a legend is priceless. It is the way a legendary club can link their players to the club's values and winning spirit. It is also an extra plus when the kids get a bit older, to have someone they have to listen to because they really have been there. Kids by late teens begin to seriously dream of glory, and can get arrogant, so having someone you are in awe of can settle that down a bit. From what I saw Gerrard was never highly articulate, he was understated and always seemed a bit shy to me, but you can see even by that gesture with Millar that when you have that status it can be very powerful.

BTW, that was Steven Gerrard's first match as Liverpool u-18 manager.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 1 month later...

I can't tell about Liam. He strikes me as being in a similar spot to the our youngster Brooks Lennon, who was at LFC and I guess is still their property. Lennon was on a tear for LFC youth teams before he got loaned to RSL. I doubt Lennon will ever make it to that top level. We'll see what happens with Liam.