Liam Millar

Northvansteve

12 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Liam scores a hatrick again his 3rd in a year since joining Liverpool in   The FA youth cup 

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/284186-millar-nets-a-treble-as-u18s-hit-five-at-hartlepool-united

As a guy who I imagine understands the Liverpool system far better than I ever would I have a question...

How does this end?

Does he get a sniff from the first team? Does he go on loan to a lower level team while they monitor him? Does he leave the system and go somewhere else completely?

Just curious what your take is on this sort of prospect in the liverpool academy.

17 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

As a guy who I imagine understands the Liverpool system far better than I ever would I have a question...

How does this end?

Does he get a sniff from the first team? Does he go on loan to a lower level team while they monitor him? Does he leave the system and go somewhere else completely?

Just curious what your take is on this sort of prospect in the liverpool academy.

Brewster who plays by his side has been called into the Reserve squad (as posted here), but not permanently. The golden boot for the winners at the u17 WC, btw, and clearly not considered by Liverpool a superior player to Liam. Brewster and Liam are a deadly combination, Brewster more target, Liam a second striker playing off him.

I think we have to trust that with Gerrard as the coach, they can guide them up properly. Most likely you have to let him finish the UEFA Youth League, where by winning their group they are into the final 16, draw early Feb, knockout match later that month. Then you work him into reserve games and see how he does, like with other top u-17s. Another thing you do is occasionaly have him train with the first team, like if internationals are away and you need extra bodies, to get him used to it.

But all this is only if you think he has promise and you want to keep him, if you are going to cut him after this year you dont bother with all that. The problem is that only rarely can an 18 year old help a top flight team in a major league, it's been done (Milner started early, Bojan Krkcic very early, way back when Kluivert won a Champions League scoring a winner as a teen) but it is the exception.

3 minutes ago, matty said:

I'd say the rationale would be he's not playing at the proper level yet and they want to see him play with a senior team first which is fair

Legit question, not being a dick at all, but what did Alphonso do with Vancouver that'd warrant a call up? Not downplaying his achievements at all, but if memory serves he came off the bench a handful of times and scored a goal in a CCL game.

Just now, Oranje said:

Legit question, not being a dick at all, but what did Alphonso do with Vancouver that'd warrant a call up? Not downplaying his achievements at all, but if memory serves he came off the bench a handful of times and scored a goal in a CCL game.

He played in USL and MLS for like a year prior he's first senior cap. Both are senior leagues.

2 minutes ago, matty said:

He played in USL and MLS for like a year prior he's first senior cap. Both are senior leagues.

Age aside, I find it hard to say 11 appearances in the USL and 8 appearances (2 starts) in MLS warrants a MNT call where consistently starting (and producing) under Gerrard for Liverpools U18 doesn't simply because it's not a "senior league". 

Just now, Oranje said:

Age aside, I find it hard to say 11 appearances in the USL and 8 appearances (2 starts) in MLS warrants a MNT call where consistently starting (and producing) under Gerrard for Liverpools U18 doesn't simply because it's not a "senior league". 

Prior to his first cap Davies had played 11 USL and 19 MLS games under his belt not 11 and 8. Also playing and proving yourself against men is more valuable than playing and proving yourself against boys.

1 minute ago, Oranje said:

You honestly never really know how good a youth player is until they are forced to produce at the pro level. Look at Julian Green the German-American that was called up to their 2014 World Cup team. He set scoring and assist records in the Bayern u18 team and had 25 goals in 50 games with the Bayern u23s by age 20. Still hasn't shown anything at the pro level. 

6 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

You honestly never really know how good a youth player is until they are forced to produce at the pro level. Look at Julian Green the German-American that was called up to their 2014 World Cup team. He set scoring and assist records in the Bayern u18 team and had 25 goals in 50 games with the Bayern u23s by age 20. Still hasn't shown anything at the pro level. 

I agree, you really don't, but to be fair Green got a USMNT cap when he was at BMII, which plays in the Regionalliga. To @matty's point the Regionalliga is a "senior league" which is the be-all, but the average age of the Bayern division is 23, so it's practically a youth league with a few over-agers.

A long way to go for Liam but he  on the right track. Like I said before slow and steady...no rush just happy with his performance.

the message is to keep working hard everyday,  focusing on the details and concentrate on a complete.90 min performance every time u play. The goals are good but Steven is more interested in performance... 

Steven had some nice words to say about him... 

https://amp.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/12/14/16-goals-already-this-season-steven-gerrard-praises-electric-liv/?utm_medium=share%2Bbutton&utm_campaign=social%2Bmedia&utm_content=%2Fen-gb%2F2017%2F12%2F14%2F16-goals-already-this-season-steven-gerrard-praises-electric-liv%2F&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

6 hours ago, Oranje said:

I agree, you really don't, but to be fair Green got a USMNT cap when he was at BMII, which plays in the Regionalliga. To @matty's point the Regionalliga is a "senior league" which is the be-all, but the average age of the Bayern division is 23, so it's practically a youth league with a few over-agers.

Fair points but an average age of 23 is way different than an average age of 17/18.

Remember, Miller isn't even playing with Liverpool's reserves yet - just the U18 side.

13 hours ago, Obinna said:

Fair points but an average age of 23 is way different than an average age of 17/18.

Remember, Miller isn't even playing with Liverpool's reserves yet - just the U18 side.

He was also called up to Liverpool's U23 team but I don't think he started any matches, just on as a sub. 

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:59 PM, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

So just to be clear Liam is #9 and had a goal and assist.. wish there was the commentary...him and the #10 Curtis Jones have a really understanding.. Curtis assisted on all Liam's goals and scored the 5th... btw there was a crowd of 1000 watching this game a great atmosphere!!

thx for putting the highlights up!

Edited by spitfire
more info