Liam Millar

Northvansteve

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He's always been a reasonable poster here but some people have gone hyper aggressive on him so he's pushing back. It's banter. 

I remember not too long ago when I use to believe this.

He's followed along enough to know the sort of player Liam Millar is, but even if he was just ignorant the CanPL comment is a dead give-away.

You don't interrupt your good form, being a top player at League One Charlton (on loan from Liverpool, no less), so that you can go to the Canadian Premier League and play an unfamiliar position.

I tried to give the benefit of the doubt, perhaps longer than I should have....

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

You don't interrupt your good form, being a top player at League One Charlton (on loan from Liverpool, no less), so that you can go to the Canadian Premier League and play an unfamiliar position.

Or even in a familiar position. The only reason why I can see 21 year old player on the books of Liverpool who is starting regularly at the moment at League 1 level would come to play in the CPL for what must be a tiny fraction of the salary he can get paid in League 1 would be if the player in question was possessed by witchcraft. I'm willing to accept other forms of possession (deep hypnosis, alien possession, etc.), as possible reasons, but that's about all.  I don't even think blackmail would be strong enough of an incentive. (And I say this as someone who has defended this poster a fair amount on what I see as silly anti-American gripes, but this post does have a large trolling whiff about it given the level of suggested ignorance is not in keeping with how knowledgeable his other posts indicate).

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

I remember not too long ago when I use to believe this.

He's followed along enough to know the sort of player Liam Millar is, but even if he was just ignorant the CanPL comment is a dead give-away.

I tried to give the benefit of the doubt, perhaps longer than I should have....

The disappointment is unreal...literally had me laughing. 
You know when you stick up for someone, only for them to make a mockery of it. Yea this is it.
Hopefully you stop fending for him lol, and no more thread derails as we all should collective ignore it. 

Moving the convo back to actual happenings, I'm really excited to see him play in this coming window. 
Where other camps, it wouldn't be certain that he would get substantial minutes...but this window and the form and shape he's in. I expect, and think we'll really see a different Liam Millar.

For one thing, League One isn't a very good league. 

For another thing, one reason to have a domestic league is so that guys who can't quite make the first team of a European first division can come back, retool his game, find the right position if he needs to, and possibly get sold back overseas. Maybe he plays in MLS instead of the CanPL. Whatever. 

4 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

I've often thought given growing US depth on the wing plus his injury issues it would probably be the best longterm career option for Pulisic to come to MLS and retrain as a left back.

Christian Pulisic was a sometimes starter in a big Euro league when he was 17. Miller isn't. Stuart Holden and Sebastian Lletget are better comparisons. 

1 minute ago, One American said:

For another thing, one reason to have a domestic league is so that guys who can't quite make the first team of a European first division can come back, retool his game, find the right position if he needs to, and possibly get sold back overseas. Maybe he plays in MLS instead of the CanPL. Whatever. 

The best league 1 teams would do more than fine in MLS.

3 minutes ago, One American said:

If you are actually serious (and you seem to be doubling down on the idea) it is a ridiculous suggestion.   given his success so far at Charlton, Liam is showing he is a championship level player.  Those guys are light years ahead of CPL guys.  Plus he would be making some good coin in England. Plus he is still on the books at Liverpool. Plus he is an attacking winger and has been forever.  Plus we are already strong at defensive midfield in the national team.  

The main point is that winger seems like a pretty loaded position at youth levels - Rutty, Assi, Corbeanu, Dias, with David, Davies, Larin and Buchanan - whereas, in CM/DM, it's Priso, the Freiburg kid .... ? If I were a League One winger with 3 or 4 goals in 50ish professional games (and 0 goals in 8 international (mostly youth, I assume) matches), I'd think about moving into CM or DM. 

Edited by One American

10 minutes ago, One American said:

The main point is that winger seems like a pretty loaded position at youth levels - Rutty, Assi, Corbeanu, Dias, with David, Davies, Larin and Buchanan - whereas, in CM/DM, it's Priso, the Freiburg kid .... ? If I were a League One winger with 3 or 4 goals in 50ish professional games (and 0 goals in 8 international (mostly youth, I assume) matches), I'd think about moving into CM or DM. 

You're clearly an imbecile, so what you may or may not do is irrelevant to anybody with an actual brain. 🙄

59 minutes ago, One American said:

At CM/DM:

24 and younger: Eustaquio, Baldisimo, Fraser, Okello, Priso

25-30: Kaye, Osorio, Piette, Teibert

30+: Arfield, Hutchinson 

I know Americans are ignorant but you're nearing Pulisic liking Adam Jahn's instagram post level of ignorance.

Edited by sebdeserio

25 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

At CM/DM:

24 and younger: Eustaquio, Baldisimo, Fraser, Okello, Priso

You would expect Eustaquio to have one of those on lockdown for the next 8 or 9 years. Priso seems to be well-rated by TFC. The others aren't particularly insurmountable  competition. Piette and Kaye will be on the edge of old by 2026, although not necessarily too old. I'm not sure a Eustaquio-Kaye pairing would have enough bite. 

The wingers and attacking mids are more speculative, due to age, but also seem more well regarded. 

Edited by One American

12 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Even better, our future goalkeeping is pretty unsettled.  I think Liam should move back to League 1 (not Ligue 1) and work on being a goalkeeper.  Think of all the things he has picked up training with Alisson and Adrian.  He can put his speed and footwork to good use going from post to post.

This is equally as plausible/likely.  

52 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Has anyone been watching his matches recently. It sounds like his form has really dropped over the last handful of games

My read is that he has been a solid contributor to a mid table league one team. 1 goal + 3 assists...solid scores on Fotmob and WhoScored. All decent indicators.

where that would take him from here is an interesting question.

4 hours ago, One American said:

So, moving from wing to a central midfield position is like moving to goalkeeper or switching to baseball. 

Got it. 

Obviously people were exaggerating but you have to admit, the skill sets for wingers and defensive midfielders are drastically different. Aside from being a hard worker, there’s nothing we’ve seen from Millar that shows he’d be better at CDM than on the wing.