Liam Millar

Northvansteve

47 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Obviously people were exaggerating but you have to admit, the skill sets for wingers and defensive midfielders are drastically different. Aside from being a hard worker, there’s nothing we’ve seen from Millar that shows he’d be better at CDM than on the wing.

Exactly, he has never been that player with a 360 vision transitioning the ball forward and holding when not in possession. 

Anyways, if you just want to ignore what League One salaries are then this is fine. Let's pretend that the average League One salary is not over 2000 pounds a week, and that Liam is not making far more than any player in CPL. 

Let's also pretend that in function of how the year goes, Liverpool will not ask him to train first team this summer, they won't loan him again if he agrees, nor will they receive a transfer offer.

Ignore this, then you can dream up some scenario where he does not continue with Charlton as they fight to get into the promotion playoff. That will keep Liam "alive" as a prospect into late spring.

I personally think that, barring Charlton promoting and asking to purchase him (if they have an option), transfer offers will come in from a Championship side. I would not think that would be more than 2 million pounds.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, gator said:

Have you actually watched his matches or are you basing that on his goal tally?

Somewhere in between watching every minute and looking solely at goal tally. How about you?

Edited by Aird25

18 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Somewhere in between watching every minute and looking solely at goal tally. How about you?

I haven't watched much of Charlton, they are usually playing at the same time as QPR who I subscribe to, it was an honest question!

3 minutes ago, gator said:

I haven't watched much of Charlton, they are usually playing at the same time as QPR who I subscribe to, it was an honest question!

It’s not a league I typically watch but I’ve made an effort out of interest in Millar. I just feel talk of him being at least a championship player is premature. I don’t think he’s been able to maintain a good enough level yet. The potential is there though 

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

It’s not a league I typically watch but I’ve made an effort out of interest in Millar. I just feel talk of him being at least a championship player is premature. I don’t think he’s been able to maintain a good enough level yet. The potential is there though 

Will be interesting to see what happens next. From an unbiased perspective, it’s not like he has lit the league on fire. He’s been a solid contributor based on Charlton message board but I don’t see the “he’s too good for this league!” sentiment there that I see here. Hopefully he turns it on in the next month to really push for a move up.

16 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I think Charlton being a bit shoddy since he's there doesn't help. At least lately they are tougher defending, they weren't giving their attack a chance before. Now they are a bit tighter on the pitch, its a matter of having to scrap out the wins. Yesterday, against 10 men, they should have won. 

Charlton wins two in a row and watch his ratings come up automatically. If they swing the playoffs as well, though with the extra matches they've had I think the odds aren't great. 

Just to chime in. So 15 starts in 16 games, a game every 4 days(Saturday/Tuesday) not a lot of recovery between games.  5 goal involvements in those 16 games good but not great(needs to improve) in-his first month at Charlton he got two team of the week nods...

The last 8 games he has played  left wing once in a 433) 3 games at right mid,(442) 2 games at top of a diamond in a 442 and 2 games left mid(442) not an excuse Just stating facts ... 

Charlton hit a slump about a month ago (coinciding with his dip)that they have now turned around and stopped leaking goals. This means that they have tightened up defensively which means Liam is tracking back and defending a lot more. 

Lastly his form has slipped a bit but I think as teams switched on to what he is good at opposing coaches now double and triple team him every time he gets the ball... which he needs to adjust and work through.

But like i said he’s played a lot of football his defensive game has improved leaps and bounds but needs to find his offensive edge...But he has started almost every game which is what we wanted more professional games in a tough competitive league.

It’s all part of the journey he needs to up his numbers and hope he does in the push to get in the playoff and help Charlton to get promoted...

Edited by spitfire

@spitfire Thanks for that! It sounds like he is getting good pro experience in a variety of formations and positions, League One is a tough slog with all of the fixtures, bad winter weather and horrendous pitches! As fans we will usually rate players highly influenced by how the team is doing, I sense a fair bit of frustration amongst the Addicks supporters as the team lingers outside of the play offs and drop points to sides they feel they should be beating!

8 hours ago, spitfire said:

Just to chime in. So 15 starts in 16 games, a game every 4 days(Saturday/Tuesday) not a lot of recovery between games.  5 goal involvements in those 16 games good but not great(needs to improve) in-his first month at Charlton he got two team of the week nods...

The last 8 games he has played  left wing once in a 433) 3 games at right mid,(442) 2 games at top of a diamond in a 442 and 2 games left mid(442) not an excuse Just stating facts ... 

Charlton hit a slump about a month ago (coinciding with his dip)that they have now turned around and stopped leaking goals. This means that they have tightened up defensively which means Liam is tracking back and defending a lot more. 

Lastly his form has slipped a bit but I think as teams switched on to what he is good at opposing coaches now double and triple team him every time he gets the ball... which he needs to adjust and work through.

But like i said he’s played a lot of football his defensive game has improved leaps and bounds but needs to find his offensive edge...But he has started almost every game which is what we wanted more professional games in a tough competitive league.

It’s all part of the journey he needs to up his numbers and hope he does in the push to get in the playoff and help Charlton to get promoted...

I must admit that I really 100% appreciate your insight here and more than anything, your balanced assessment of your son.  I am sure as a parent you are 100% behind him but its nice to see someone who is so close to the player being able to constructively critique him and his situation.  I can only wish other parents were so balanced.  I haven't watched much of Charlton since Liam has been there but I figured that when people said his form was dipping a bit it was probably down to the fact that other sides have scouted him and his importance to Charlton and have adjusted.  Now as you say, he plus Charlton as a side need to adjust to that.

Edited by An Observer

9 hours ago, spitfire said:

I wanna add to this:

a game every 4 days at the pro level is brutal, is a huge grind, don’t forget his training stints in there. I’d imagine is a more frequent pace (games) than u-23 and thats going to affect form and performance. And to anyone who’s been good enough to get double teamed we know it’s a good thing and it’s gruelling to play against.

all positives, sounds like he’s finding his way and is a step closer to his goal.

I am slightly saddened by this as Bowyer did as good of a job as he could the past few seasons in spite of awful ownership.  But Charlton should be in the Championship and not League One and it looks unlikely that will happen.  Like Gator said, will be interesting to see who comes in.

EDIT: rumour has it that it is Aitor Karanka formerly of Middlesbrough and Birmingham.

Not all that surprising, when you consider what Spitfire said about playing your new signing at 4 different positions in two different formations in a span of 8 matches when fighting for promotion.  You'd figure at this point of the season you'd have your plan, not still trying to figure it out.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I am slightly saddened by this as Bowyer did as good of a job as he could the past few seasons in spite of awful ownership.  But Charlton should be in the Championship and not League One and it looks unlikely that will happen.  Like Gator said, will be interesting to see who comes in.

EDIT: rumour has it that it is Aitor Karanka formerly of Middlesbrough and Birmingham.

Karanka was just let go by Birmingham City. They are just above relegation but with extra games played. He's still a solid coach.

Something I don't get about England: they often report a manager has resigned, instead of saying fired. Is this just a lexical thing? If a coach is under contract and is fired, he is paid what is left of it, or close, acc to most contracts. If he resigns he leaves of his own will, and breaks the contract, renouncing pending remuneration. So what is it? 

dont see many clubs saying fired but more like relieved of his duties..will pay him..now if he resigns and doesnt take the rest of the money he probably has an opportunity somewhere else so wanted to get free or he just really wanted to get out of that situation

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Something I don't get about England: they often report a manager has resigned, instead of saying fired. Is this just a lexical thing? If a coach is under contract and is fired, he is paid what is left of it, or close, acc to most contracts. If he resigns he leaves of his own will, and breaks the contract, renouncing pending remuneration. So what is it? 

There is likely a difference between what is presented to the public vs what the legal ramifications are behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of managers that resigned were still compensated by the club, at least until they take a new job elsewhere.