Liam Millar

Northvansteve

They ended 2-4, good result. They can't win the league, or very hard, but can end 2nd, which I think gives them entry into a Conference League qualifying round. I have no idea why a league winner gets into a CL qualifying round, but 2nd place does not get into Europa League qualifying. What's the logic?

I see in a few years they may adjust and have the Cup winner go to Europa League, but I don't think that is the case yet.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

21 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They ended 2-4, good result. They can't win the league, or very hard, but can end 2nd, which I think gives them entry into a Conference League qualifying round. I have no idea why a league winner gets into a CL qualifying round, but 2nd place does not get into Europa League qualifying. What's the logic?

I see in a few years they may adjust and have the Cup winner go to Europa League, but I don't think that is the case yet.

Basically it's because UEFA has doctored the allocation of spots to ensure more teams from the bigger leagues get into Champions League directly (and to a lesser extent Europa League)

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Basically it's because UEFA has doctored the allocation of spots to ensure more teams from the bigger leagues get into Champions League directly (and to a lesser extent Europa League)

Is that it? I respect that the Swiss league is 20th in Europe, which is not very good; I also guess that since Young Boys have won the last four leagues and have done little in Europe, that does¡n't help. But still: if your best goes into a qualifying CL round, the next should go into a qualifying Europa League round, at least, that is how I see it. 

I see that in 23-24, the Swiss Cup champion goes into Europa League. But until then, the Cup champ also goes into early previous rounds of Conference.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Is that it? I respect that the Swiss league is 20th in Europe, which is not very good; I also guess that since Young Boys have won the last four leagues and have done little in Europe, that does¡n't help. But still: if your best goes into a qualifying CL round, the next should go into a qualifying Europa League round, at least, that is how I see it. 

I see that in 23-24, the Swiss Cup champion goes into Europa League. But until then, the Cup champ also goes into early previous rounds of Conference.

I have to go look. But in the past the top 4 leagues would get 4 UCL berths. 2 would qualify for the Group Stage automatically and 2 would go to the qualifying stages. That's now all 4 go directly to the Group Stage

It basically snowballs from there

Edited by narduch

53 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

For some morning good news.

Millar was nominated for player of the month in the Swiss league along with 4 other players.

Needs to get an opportunity on Sunday. I wasn't overly impressed with Tajon yesterday, but to be fair to him, he was in space alot on the right and the ball wasn't played to him.

I am cheering Liam on and want him to get minutes - but definitely disagree about Tajon.  He was involved in a ton of our offence, hit the crossbar for what could have been the tying goal, and generally had a very strong match in my opinion. 

I think Tajon had a really good game when he got on the ball was really a handful running at players. (needed to see more of the ball imho)

But if I'm being honest should have scored the header...Navas made the save before and was on the ground in no mans land.. anything on target is in(he hit the crossbar) pretty much an open net...(I rewatched to hi lights...)

32 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am cheering Liam on and want him to get minutes - but definitely disagree about Tajon.  He was involved in a ton of our offence, hit the crossbar for what could have been the tying goal, and generally had a very strong match in my opinion. 

To steal the hockey phrase, Tajon was all Swedish no Finnish

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

Millar was nominated for player of the month in the Swiss league along with 4 other players.

Awesome news, is there a fan vote component or no?

• 2 weeks later...