Liam Millar

Northvansteve

Some good news regarding Millar. Dont think he is our 3rd most valuable player, but good to see him so highly valued.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/05/04/liverpool-let-electric-ace-go-last-year-hes-now-the-3rd-most-valuable-player-in-his-country/?fbclid=IwAR2pFxwYws5gAs2TbHCgKp-OYLd6x0qZagkQAc6E2mMQqjRTQf8ASGoY9Yw

Edited by Stryker911

10 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I think what they are trying to say is that Millar is the 3rd most valuable player in Switzerland and not the 3rd most valuable Canadian in the world.  I did not know that.  Good for him!  Hard to argue with how this season has gone.

19 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I think what they are trying to say is that Millar is the 3rd most valuable player in Switzerland and not the 3rd most valuable Canadian in the world.  I did not know that.  Good for him!  Hard to argue with how this season has gone.

Swiss league has done wonders for Liam Millar and honestly he should stay there 

• 1 month later...

A little bit of positivity after last night Liam is back in full team training for preseason today with FC Basel and ready to get to work ( he worked really hard in the off season to get trim and fit…)

Here’s to a great start to the season

(I wouldn’t write him off the WC squad quite yet, as some have …)

Just now, spitfire said:

Preseason started yesterday for FC Basel … 

Weird. I swear I saw them with a friendly on Fotmob a few days ago, must of been thinking of a different team.

But looking now their first friendly is June 18.

26 minutes ago, spitfire said:

A little bit of positivity after last night Liam is back in full team training for preseason today with FC Basel and ready to get to work ( he worked really hard in the off season to get trim and fit…)

Here’s to a great start to the season

(I wouldn’t write him off the WC squad quite yet, as some have …)

Just to be clear - I haven’t written him off the WC squad.  In the exchange with Shwaay in the other thread I was just noting the factors that I think influence the decision.  He has lots of supporters here.  

4 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just to be clear - I haven’t written him off the WC squad.  In the exchange with Shwaay in the other thread I was just noting the factors that I think influence the decision.  He has lots of supporters here.  

You haven't written him off, but last night on One Soccer, Oliver and KJ were presenting their 26 for Qatar, and they had both Koleosho and Kone listed, but no Millar.   😫  I was like, is this a joke or a twin case of early onset dementia?  Weird.

5 minutes ago, GasPed said:

You haven't written him off, but last night on One Soccer, Oliver and KJ were presenting their 26 for Qatar, and they had both Koleosho and Kone listed, but no Millar.   😫  I was like, is this a joke or a twin case of early onset dementia?  Weird.

Yeah it stuck out to me like a sore thumb. I took it with a grain of salt though, considering they had Koleosho on it, who technically isn't even committed to us yet.

And even if he were, I still think Millar finds a way on if he's performing well at Basel. Kone and Fraser are two players who I would put on the chopping block first. 

It was interesting how they seemed to address Cornelius specifically as an omission, while they barely touched on Millar. I recall they mentioned him with a few other names that could have been considered. That was strange to me.

To be fair, both seem to be on the fringes of the core (if that makes sense), but to me Millar is more in the picture than Cornelius is. Not only has Millar been part of more selections (correct me if I am wrong), but Cornelius is basically the 3rd string for a single spot (LCB), while Millar can play on both flanks and probably up top as well.

For a few minutes last night we saw Tajon up top with David underneath. That could actually be a good role for Millar, no?

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not you, or I stated anything that wrote him off. I actually called it stupid.

Side note because the response he made warrants this.(...oh no here goes annoying Shway again)
I find it funny that no one rarely ever gives an honest/or reasonable opinion about Liam.
It's always yippee ki yay, kumbya  or stepping on eggshells for one obvious reason.

Everyone wants to see him, and other Canadian players achieve and succeed. So I find it weird when regular posters make strong opinions about other key guys, and leave Liam out that firing line because they don't want to be spit on with fire. 

31 minutes ago, Shway said:

Not you, or I stated anything that wrote him off. I actually called it stupid.

Side note because the response he made warrants this.(...oh no here goes annoying Shway again)
I find it funny that no one rarely ever gives an honest/or reasonable opinion about Liam.
It's always yippee ki yay, kumbya  or stepping on eggshells for one obvious reason.

Everyone wants to see him, and other Canadian players achieve and succeed. So I find it weird when regular posters make strong opinions about other key guys, and leave Liam out that firing line because they don't want to be spit on with fire. 

You could maybe argue this in the past but based on current form there really shouldn't be too many hot takes on Liam this past season.  He was great in Switzerland all season.  One of the most in form attackers we had.  Unfortunately for Millar, our attacking options are deep and even if David, Larin are out of form and Davies could be injured leading up to the World Cup, but these players are never getting dropped.  So yes, Liam has a far more difficult reality to break into the squad.  I don't disagree with your opinion that Liam is on the bubble for Qatar based on the sole fact he plays in a position that we are very deep at.  But on form, he had a very good season.

15 minutes ago, Corazon said:

You could maybe argue this in the past but based on current form there really shouldn't be too many hot takes on Liam this past season.  He was great in Switzerland all season.  One of the most in form attackers we had.

This is a fact.

15 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Unfortunately for Millar, our attacking options are deep and even if David, Larin are out of form and Davies could be injured leading up to the World Cup, but these players are never getting dropped.  So yes, Liam has a far more difficult reality to break into the squad.  I don't disagree with your opinion that Liam is on the bubble for Qatar based on the sole fact he plays in a position that we are very deep at.  But on form, he had a very good season.

I don't thinks he's on the bubble, nor do I think it's difficult for him to break into the squad because he's already in it.
For example, his ticket is booked but there has to be guys who are on the bubble who have strong starts or finishes to their season for his flight arrangements to be possibly changed.

Liam's part of the brotherhood, so I would be surprised if he wasn't in Cutter come the winter.

49 minutes ago, Shway said:

This is a fact.

I don't thinks he's on the bubble, nor do I think it's difficult for him to break into the squad because he's already in it.
For example, his ticket is booked but there has to be guys who are on the bubble who have strong starts or finishes to their season for his flight arrangements to be possibly changed.

Liam's part of the brotherhood, so I would be surprised if he wasn't in Cutter come the winter.

Sounds like we both agree he should be there based on current form.  Even if he is further down in the depth chart as an attacker, I'd take him in my 26 right now.

I, for one, am certainly hoping Liam is part of the final team going to Qatar. He plays that Junior Hoilett-type role for the team: versatile forward, beats defenders on the dribble, playmaker in tight spaces in the final third. If nothing else, he is insurance for Hoilett and if he is in top form going into the final stretch of games in October, it would be hard to not include him.

16 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

I, for one, am certainly hoping Liam is part of the final team going to Qatar. He plays that Junior Hoilett-type role for the team: versatile forward, beats defenders on the dribble, playmaker in tight spaces in the final third. If nothing else, he is insurance for Hoilett and if he is in top form going into the final stretch of games in October, it would be hard to not include him.

Yeah too bad he can’t hit open cages though 

4 hours ago, spitfire said:

Europa Conference league using Liams goal to promotion of the upcoming season…

and then gets voted to Swiss Super League Team of the Season…

7772F1EF-D79C-47A1-B52C-DD92962BCB35.jpeg

Interesting that he was the only Basel player. Cabrel would have been if he hadn't transferred. 

I think that Millar was actually hurt playing for the senior team over going to Olympic qualifying. Buchanan has off games, but he has had many opportunities to show himself, while Millars opportunities it's are very limited.

I would like to see them both play a game together on opposite wings.