Liam Millar

Northvansteve

1 hour ago, Norrin Radd said:

I believe that was his seventh goal for Basel which makes him the second highest scoring Canadian in Europe this season after David. Larin and Mitrovic have six each and Ugbo has five. Is there someone I'm overlooking?

How many does Jebbie have for Burton?

8 hours ago, Macksam said:

That was quite the goal. We all talk about Davies, Tajon and Theo when it comes to raw athleticism but Liam Miller is right up there. He can really put it into fifth gear like the aforementioned three.

We just haven't seen it with the national team. Which is where my scrutiny lies. 

27 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I feel like it's a matter of getting his first before the floodgates open. It was the same with Basel. Now that he's off the mark the goals are starting to flow. 

He's a streaky guy. So it's tough when he cant get a run of games in the national team - he doesn't have that luxury as he would at the club level.

Im also waiting for the floodgates to open. The other tough thing, is there's other contributors joining the program.

52 minutes ago, Shway said:

He's a streaky guy. So it's tough when he cant get a run of games in the national team - he doesn't have that luxury as he would at the club level.

Im also waiting for the floodgates to open. The other tough thing, is there's other contributors joining the program.

He also has this reputation of "not very good, no end product" because he has been apart of the national team for so long.

He is still young, he is just now thriving basically at the same time as Tajon did (right after their 22nd birthday).

Edited by Xavier.

16 hours ago, Xavier. said:

He also has this reputation of "not very good, no end product" because he has been apart of the national team for so long.

He is still young, he is just now thriving basically at the same time as Tajon did (right after their 22nd birthday).

Yea I’ve been guilty of this sentiment.
But for contrast, Corbeanu has 2g in 6 apps - scoring his first at 18. 

When Tajon came on the scene I was heavily advocating him but then was being tempered because he was fresh outta Syracuse and Liam was at Liverpool. Albeit younger, but look at them now.

What I realize with football, especially the international game it’s always about “what have you done for me lately” and less of the potential because it’s always played in the now. 

Liams benefit is that he’s been consistently performing at his club since his Charlton loan, whether it’s been streaky or not, he’s overall contributing. I like his game, as I’ve always liked guys who can create goals for others vs being just a goal scorer reason why I’ve watched him so much…but again, I’m just waiting to see it translate to the national team. 

Edited by Shway

I call hogwash that Millar has a reputation of being a poor finisher. I don't think that's the case at all.

Remember all the goals he scored for the Liverpool reserve teams? Yeah it's youth soccer, but he's a natural goal scorer, I really believe that.

I just think he's been unfortunate not to score for the national team and it may be weighing on him in the back of his mind. I firmly believe that once he gets one, he'll get another one quickly, and so forth. He's doing it at Basel right now.

The only difference between him and Buchanan/Corbeanu is that they broke their duck egg first, that's all.

Soccer is a game of bounces and moments. His will come soon.

Can they all improve? Obviously, but I believe all 3 of these guys instinctively know where the goal is.   

Edited by Obinna

I’m kind of sick of people always saying Liam can’t finish as well. I always took his scoring record in Scotland with a grain of salt. Any player that relies on speed and dribbling is going to struggle there because of the style of play. Rough muddy pitches with guys coming at you with leg breaking tackles but he was still getting a lot of successful dribbles and always looked like one of the more dangerous players when ever I watched a game. I think it was important for his development to get those pro minutes and learn to adapt but Basel is a much better fit for him and I’m stoked to see him starting to translate his youth scoring to the professional level. I think we will be seeing Liam in a top 5 league sooner or later… also his FIFA 22 rating way too low at 66 overall IMO! 

Let’s face it, a lot of the view that he isn’t a “natural finisher” comes from one chance that he didn’t bury in Jamaica.  And it isn’t even like he completely screwed up and missed the net - the keeper just saved a shot that would have been the difference-maker.  If he puts it a foot or two on either side of him, we wouldn’t have this idea floating around.  That is a pretty tiny margin to judge the guy on.  He is banging then in for Basel and has done it an elsewhere as well.  He will have all sorts of games to fill the net for Canada over the next decade.  

17 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Let’s face it, a lot of the view that he isn’t a “natural finisher” comes from one chance that he didn’t bury in Jamaica.  And it isn’t even like he completely screwed up and missed the net - the keeper just saved a shot that would have been the difference-maker.  If he puts it a foot or two on either side of him, we wouldn’t have this idea floating around.  That is a pretty tiny margin to judge the guy on.  He is banging then in for Basel and has done it an elsewhere as well.  He will have all sorts of games to fill the net for Canada over the next decade.  

I don’t think it’s just the miss against Jamaica. Fairly or unfairly he gets compared to the other attackers on Canada .. Davies, David, Larin, Cavallini, Hoilett, Buchanan have been filling the net. Since Millar’s debut those 6 have a combined 73 goals. 

23 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I don’t think it’s just the miss against Jamaica. Fairly or unfairly he gets compared to the other attackers on Canada .. Davies, David, Larin, Cavallini, Hoilett, Buchanan have been filling the net. Since Millar’s debut those 6 have a combined 73 goals. 

Yeah, it's this. I've been hopeful for improvement while not yet convinced of him as a goal scorer. It's not because of the Jamaica game. He has played in games with scorelines of 8-0, 5-0, 4-0, 7-0, 6-0, 5-1, 11-0, and 7-0 (as well as some closer games of course). Only one of those games was a full 90 (and if I'm not mistaken, it might have been at right back) but he played at least 20 minutes in each of those games. Throw in his limited goal scoring in Scotland (I have never watched him play a club game, just highlights that make it here) and he wasn't exactly screaming goal scorer.

It's fantastic though what he is doing at Basel though. It makes it hard for Herdman to ignore him!

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Yeah, it's this. I've been hopeful for improvement while not yet convinced of him as a goal scorer. It's not because of the Jamaica game. He has played in games with scorelines of 8-0, 5-0, 4-0, 7-0, 6-0, 5-1, 11-0, and 7-0 (as well as some closer games of course). Only one of those games was a full 90 (and if I'm not mistaken, it might have been at right back) but he played at least 20 minutes in each of those games. Throw in his limited goal scoring in Scotland (I have never watched him play a club game, just highlights that make it here) and he wasn't exactly screaming goal scorer.

It's fantastic though what he is doing at Basel though. It makes it hard for Herdman to ignore him!

This. I don’t want to sound condescending but I’ve seen a common trend of negating his stats for Canada, and then subsequently validating his potential with CMNT because of his club progress - two separate animals. 

Ive watched him consistently at Kilmarnock (felt sorry for him in that rash league), and at Charlton (even paid for the Valley pass when my IPTV didn’t have the games on Ifollow), so I can say I’m not talking out of my ass. And basing things on transfer market or highlights. A lot of you can’t say that.  Thats to say I’m a fan, because you don’t watch SPFL and League  One for a player your not a fan of. 

In reference to the games he played in and didn’t score. Theo Corbeanu has played in half the games Liam has, and has contributed in the attack with 2 goals and has created several opportunities in like games/competition…I think with more opportunities, I’m banking on him becoming an important piece sooner rather than later. I personally rate his ability and tenacity highly. 

However Liams not an out and out goal scorer, anybody saying so is just being hopeful based on the potential. Because 77 games and 8 goals definitely doesn’t say so regardless of age. But like I said before, that’s fine, not everybody has to be goalscorers - especially as a winger..he’s a player that creates goals and chances a lot and those are important players that’s the stats may not always tell the story. 

Just dont call him a goal scorer at the moment. Referencing youth play is foolish @ObinnaFederico Macheda was a youth stalwart at Man Utd.

Edited by Shway

Away from all the covid talk and stuff some different news… Liams mom has officially been Shortlisted  for an Academy Award as Makeup Designer for nightmare Alley!! Yes I know not soccer related but amazing news for another Canadian doing well!!

https://www.oscars.org/news/94th-oscarsr-shortlists-10-award-categories-announced

• 2 weeks later...

News reports from Switzerland say Dubai canellation is due to covid diagnosies:

"at 1:35 p.m., the FCB entourage should actually have jet out from Zurich in the direction of Dubai, but now the trip to the United Arab Emirates is canceled at short notice. Several people have tested positive for the coronavirus.

Back in the old year, the two possible opponents from Basel, Zamalek from Egypt and Belgium’s top club Anderlecht, had canceled their participation in the training camp in Dubai. Also due to the pandemic.

The desert trip is not completely off the table for the Bebbi. Alternatives are being examined. Maybe the red-blue entourage will travel to Dubai later. (skr)"

https://news.in-24.com/sports/news/274120.html

On 1/2/2022 at 2:41 PM, spitfire said:

A short story of the last 9 years ….

9 years ago TODAY Liam and I stepped off the plane in London on this crazy journey. Liam began a 6 week trial at Fulham FC Jan 6th 2013 and after 5 days signed a 3 year contract. He was the first player in 18 months of trials to sign( 31 players had been on trial in that time at Fulham prior to his arrival) 

He spent the next 3 years lighting up south London winning two National Premier League Youth Championships scoring 65 goals in his U16 year leading the entire UK cat 1 scoring. That lead him to a England U16 call up which he turned down (people forget he was a dual national…)

instead opting to go to the Montague tournament at14(turning 15) with Canada’s U16 team coached by Sean Fleming…

He made a move to Liverpool FC at 16 signing a scholarship followed by a pro contract a few weeks later. He scored a Hatrick on his debut vs Blackburn Rovers!! 

He played for LFC U18s u19 UEFA youth league and Captained the U23s before going on Three loans before finally moving to FC Basel this year where he has 7 goals and 3 assists in 27 games …

And I believe the best is yet to come…

Thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of all the details.  Nice to have to full picture.

37 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Been reading these Cabral to West Ham rumours, anything to them? That'd really hurt Basel in all competitions, and put even more pressure to score on Liam. 

If the club struggle a bit more, but Liam picks up the offensive slack left in Cabral's wake, I would take that trade off.