Liam Millar

Northvansteve

59 minutes ago, spitfire said:

There was a player with a similar goal scoring problem a few years ago… he now has 24 goals for Canada … who also got a lot of stick from this board too… his initials are CL…

in the El Salvador game Liam made 2/3 great runs to the back post and the ball just didn’t come …

Liams time will come with Canada… once he gets one I think it will all change  

I tend to agree he needs space and the ball all of which in recent games he hasn’t had. 

But We have faith in the process. His time will come patience is key… he need to just keep doing his job at club level and the national team stuff will sort itself out. …

And just for the record he does have 4 assists for Canada…

I think he’s been very unlucky for Canada, he’s always impressed me and I think with one of 2 more bounces he would have started and featured more with Canada, we all talk about Buchanan, but Liam deserves to be up there. Too many are sleeping on him.

39 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

…we all talk about Buchanan, but Liam deserves to be up there. Too many are sleeping on him.

I’m sorry, but I hate how Tajon and Liam are brought into comparison conversations. As currently they are at different levels of importance for Canada. That was a conversation for two years ago, when it was said to be disrespectful to compare the two, as one was just starting out his professional career. 

They are not like-for-like comparisons at the moment.

I was hoping he was going to get more minutes then he did, due to him being in form for his club. But in the El Salvador game what I wanted to see from him was making attacking runs with the ball. Be more direct. Utilize that top speed he has.  Several times he would receive the ball and immediately cut inside on his right foot vs just push and go into space like we see Tajon do. He did that effectively at Charlton last year, reason why he was a big chance creator there. I just want more directness, more looking for 1v1 confidence which he has displayed at club level. 

@SoccManbrings up a very great point. Concacaf is a different beast, and club performances don’t always translate to play in our region. Case and point is Panamas players.

I think expectations of him being a goal scorer for Canada might be a stretch. I think he becomes key by his ability to create chances, and growing his current 2 assists tally. 

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

And just for the record he does have 4 assists for Canada…

image.png.0940d9b5de70c3283d117d5bec7e434f.png

transfermarket above, Canada soccer below.

image.thumb.png.bb48273e2305b3d40d4df466de5d01a9.png

Assuming this is a mistake, who were the other two teams against?

Edited by Shway

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

I was hoping he was going to get more minutes then he did, due to him being in form for his club. But in the El Salvador game what I wanted to see from him was making attacking runs with the ball. Be more direct. Utilize that top speed he has.  Several times he would receive the ball and immediately cut inside on his right foot vs just push and go into space like we see Tajon do.

I promise you all Liam wanted to do was get the ball and run at players. There just wasn’t space to do so as Tajon saw when he came on for the last 30 mins  The low block defensive shape made it very difficult. No one was able to get at anyone in that game. Even Sam and Ritchie couldn’t get forward much.

Larin made a real difference when he came on as we went to two strikers. 

3 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I knew you were going to quote the oh so accurate TM I think he said Martique and Cayman Islands but I’m happy to follow up…

no malice, was just looking for clarity. I know TM is sometimes inaccurate but Canada soccer has that listed as well. (Edited after you quoted)

Maybe a hockey assist he’s counting? Which I think should be considered globally. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Shway said:

massive draw. Will be a big game for Liam to show out.
This is basically a regular Europa League game.

While it is clear Conference League is a step down, you look at the final 16 and it's pretty strong, three Champions League winners. There is also a decent chance for a club to win their first European trophy, has to be an incentive for Basel or Leicester. 

Since Conference League is new and lacking a bit of prestige, they should add incentives. I think the winner qualifies for Europa League, but it will probably have done at least that anyways. Like some version of a European Super-Cup or the like. 

FC Basel came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 the team showed real character …

Liam has had a 7.0 rating or better 4 out of the last 5 games. He’s on really good form even if the team isn’t.

The team is struggling not to concede goals atm but looked better 2nd half

Another 90 minutes under his belt. 

Edited by spitfire
Grammar sorry UT 🤦🏻‍♂️

4 minutes ago, spitfire said:

FC Basel came from 2-0 now to draw 2-3 the team showed real character … Liam has had a 7.0 or better 4 out of the last 5 games. He’s on really good form even if the team isn’t. The team is struggling not to concede goals atm but look better 2nd half

Another 90mims u see his belt  

Geez, you made me go check what the hell happened with that post ;)

18 hours ago, spitfire said:

FC Basel came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 the team showed real character …

Liam has had a 7.0 rating or better 4 out of the last 5 games. He’s on really good form even if the team isn’t.

The team is struggling not to concede goals atm but looked better 2nd half

Another 90mims u see his belt  

Haven't seen it but I'm sure it was a nice belt!

22 minutes ago, Shway said:

Immediately thought of Liam's club play when I heard this.

I think that's the strong difference between club and international ball - especially as an attacker.

I have kinda stopped caring about stats, I feel the eye test is still more important in soccer. Having a striker who can bang in goals all the time is still important but I’m not concerned if they’re not scoring but doing other things well. For example, David played one of his best games against the US but didn’t score. 

41 minutes ago, lenny said:

I agree it was one of his best, and it was captured by the stats.

Fotmob gave him an 8.1 - the only higher rating on the field was Adekugbe's 8.6.

https://www.fotmob.com/match/3613455/matchfacts/canada-vs-usa

Yes Jonny did amazing by the match stats(and in the game) but no goals and assists which unfortunately most attackers are judged by…

Stats bomb and wyescout have a new expanded metrics called “XG assists” and “On Ball Value” they are great for tracking players impact even if the don’t score. 
In XG assists you get value of the xg goal even if the player doesn’t score form the pass this means a player can have 2 assists in a season but have an XG assist of 10 Meaning with better finishing he would have had 10 assists(so in turn the player with better players does better very important for scouting)

The “On ball Value” represents what you do with the ball. Do you make the right decision and is the team in a better position when u have the ball.
Analytic and stats rule the day but the pros are getting more detailed and smarter. ..

Just some insight from my angle.. I agree one of Jonny best game sun a Canada shirt…

https://statsbomb.com/articles/soccer/metrics-and-explainers/

Edited by spitfire

2 hours ago, Bdog said:

I have kinda stopped caring about stats, I feel the eye test is still more important in soccer. Having a striker who can bang in goals all the time is still important but I’m not concerned if they’re not scoring but doing other things well. For example, David played one of his best games against the US but didn’t score. 

The kind of expanded statistics Spitfire is referring to helps quantify the so called 'eye test'. I don't know if we'll ever be able to fully quantify the quality we see with our eyes, but such metrics get us closer to that.