Liam Millar

Northvansteve

Which is why it makes more sense for Millar to be in our World Cup squad especially since he's playing for a top team in Switzerland in the Swiss league but also he has been in top form for his club. Liam at best yes he wouldn't be in our starting 11 in Qatar but you still have to take him to Qatar even if that means you bring him off the bench as a substitute.

Edited by TGAA_Star

8 hours ago, ECW said:

It would be weird to leave off Millar if he’s fit. What would be the point of that? 

Maybe with a 26 man roster but he hasn’t seized his opportunities from what I have seen when called upon. I don’t buy the argument he hasn’t been given the chance. He has been given chances. Unlimited? No. There’s other guys who have been called up at times and don’t even get a sniff. I compare him to Adekugbe in terms of breaking in to the top 15 with our rotation. Wasn’t given a lot of opportunity but when given the chance seized it and is now an instrumental part to our success. Any suggestion between him and Buchanan as a comparison because of their league performances is nonsense. Buchanan has been so clutch for us the last year and integral to qualification. The eye test will tell that to anyone. If the World Cup started today and Millar was in the 26 man roster I’d be surprised if he saw the pitch. Maybe November will tell a different story 

Edited by EJsens1

1 hour ago, EJsens1 said:

Maybe with a 26 man roster but he hasn’t seized his opportunities from what I have seen when called upon. I don’t buy the argument he hasn’t been given the chance. He has been given chances. Unlimited? No. There’s other guys who have been called up at times and don’t even get a sniff. I compare him to Adekugbe in terms of breaking in to the top 15 with our rotation. Wasn’t given a lot of opportunity but when given the chance seized it and is now an instrumental part to our success. Any suggestion between him and Buchanan as a comparison because of their league performances is nonsense. Buchanan has been so clutch for us the last year and integral to qualification. The eye test will tell that to anyone. If the World Cup started today and Millar was in the 26 man roster I’d be surprised if he saw the pitch. Maybe November will tell a different story 

He got basically two chances of any quality. Against Jamaica, in a game that seemed built for a draw, with him on the right which is not his usual side. 

Of course everyone talks about that one "miss", ignoring so many others.

Then Costa Rica, where he was seriously hacked and closed in from the first minutes, then we got a red and that stalled us. 

I agree, however, that he has to find a way to sometimes play outside of the box, he is very disciplined, orderly and "classical" and many ways, but he could do with a bit more hubris. Because sometimes teams need hubris, and it is good to find it from unexpected places. Think of Johnston on the left side of the midfield (!!) vs. Mexico snatching that misplaced pass and taking a long shot for Larin to pick up the rebound. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He got basically two chances of any quality. Against Jamaica, in a game that seemed built for a draw, with him on the right which is not his usual side. 

Of course everyone talks about that one "miss", ignoring so many others.

Then Costa Rica, where he was seriously hacked and closed in from the first minutes, then we got a red and that stalled us. 

I agree, however, that he has to find a way to sometimes play outside of the box, he is very disciplined, orderly and "classical" and many ways, but he could do with a bit more hubris. Because sometimes teams need hubris, and it is good to find it from unexpected places. Think of Johnston on the left side of the midfield (!!) vs. Mexico snatching that misplaced pass and taking a long shot for Larin to pick up the rebound. 

For starters, you’re mixing up your games. He played in the Costa Rica match in Edmonton, not the one in San Jose in March where Kaye got the red card. He didn’t see the pitch there. IIRC, the only subs that game were Hoilett, Kone and Ugbo, but maybe I’m wrong. That being said, he was alright that game in Edmonton. Couple decent runs. Nothing where you were like wow.

Second, maybe you forgot, but he also started the game in El Salvador. He was not good. Very indecisive with the ball and lost his man a couple times in that game. Was taken off pretty quick in the second half for Larin. The Jamaica game was blah for everyone.

Obviously we could dissect mistakes everyone makes. I fully admit I don’t watch Basel games. I’ll see the replays that people post here and he looks good. He comes to play for Canada and I just don’t see the excitement others have. He’s still young and growing, so of course he could go to another level. I hope he does and I’ll happily eat crow, but in the last year or so he’s been passed by a few in the depth chart.

56 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

Second, maybe you forgot, but he also started the game in El Salvador. He was not good. Very indecisive with the ball and lost his man a couple times in that game. Was taken off pretty quick in the second half for Larin.

Ah yes, the infamous "too caucasian for central america"game

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Shway said:

This is actually so sick. You get to travel (outside of your work) to all these beautiful countries to watch your son play ball.

What a joy that brings eh.

Cheers for the kind words. I really do feel very fortunate and I really do try to get to as many games as I can. It is a bit easier in Europe for sure…

my job (as a gaffer) gives me some freedom to travel for games … that being said I start a 7 Month TV series Aug 1st and won’t get to see many games the rest of this year(maybe a sneaky one on the weekend!!) 

last time I was in Belfast was when I was on Game of Thrones…amazing city…

27 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Cheers for the kind words. I really do feel very fortunate and I really do try to get to as many games as I can. It is a bit easier in Europe for sure…

my job (as a gaffer) gives me some freedom to travel for games … that being said I start a 7 Month TV series Aug 1st and won’t get to see many games the rest of this year(maybe a sneaky one on the weekend!!) 

last time I was in Belfast was when I was on Game of Thrones…amazing city…

Belfast is a great city. I have a soft spot for it as my wife is from there, we were married there, and my son was born there. Still have family and friends there too. Funnily enough I was called to be an extra in GOT in the titanic quarter back in 2012-2014. I’ve got a few funny stories there. Would have been funny if we came across each other. 

I also worked on shore road, right across from the Crus stadium. Too bad we weren’t back visiting family this summer as I would definitely have taken in the game with my son.

I can’t imagine how great it must be to watch your son doing so well playing footy while getting to experience Europe. My son dreams of playing for the usual big teams, so who knows, maybe one day I will be in your shoes! Enjoy the match and the city.

5 hours ago, maccaliam said:

Belfast is a great city. I have a soft spot for it as my wife is from there, we were married there, and my son was born there. Still have family and friends there too. Funnily enough I was called to be an extra in GOT in the titanic quarter back in 2012-2014. I’ve got a few funny stories there. Would have been funny if we came across each other. 

I also worked on shore road, right across from the Crus stadium. Too bad we weren’t back visiting family this summer as I would definitely have taken in the game with my son.

I can’t imagine how great it must be to watch your son doing so well playing footy while getting to experience Europe. My son dreams of playing for the usual big teams, so who knows, maybe one day I will be in your shoes! Enjoy the match and the city.

Does your son play CB?  CANMNT needs CB's, just saying.

Finished 1-1 against the newly promoted team( Basels coach left them after getting promoted) scrappy game. Liam not seeing enough of the ball but had an average game came off after 66 mins still not fully match fit yet… something to build on…

Europa conference league Thursday … 

Edited by spitfire