Tristan Borges

SCF08

1 hour ago, TFC2017 said:

That's a little unfair. McDavid, Messi and Ronaldo have always played at the highest levels possible. To relate them to Borges and the levels they played at to the Canadian Premier League are so different they shouldn't even be in the same conversation. Also although Borges is probably the best players in the league, I and most people who watch will probably agree that he isnt dominating the league on a Messi/Ronaldo level. I think you may be hyping him up a little too much. Great prospect and he should definitely move to a higher league but you seem to be exaggerating too much 

He wasn’t over hyping, I think maybe you misunderstood his intent. He was saying Messi, Ronaldo etc are better than their competition and managed to continue to improve despite that. So he was saying that Borges should also be able to improve against competition that he is better than, especially since the gap between Borges and the players defending him isn’t as big as the gap between Messi and the players defending him.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 5:09 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

I'm not relating the levels.  I'm relating skill proportionate to level.  I.e. McDavid is a lot more skilled than the average NHL player than Borges is more skilled than the average CPL player.

I'm unsure what you mean when you say I'm "hyping him up a little too much" by saying that it's okay to stay in CPL?  Do you mean I'm not hyping him enough?  

I'll try to make my point as simple as possible:  Borges is not THAT far above CPL level that it's a big deal that he's staying, in fact it could be positive based on his developmental trajectory of last year.

On 12/18/2019 at 5:15 PM, Kent said:

He wasn’t over hyping, I think maybe you misunderstood his intent. He was saying Messi, Ronaldo etc are better than their competition and managed to continue to improve despite that. So he was saying that Borges should also be able to improve against competition that he is better than, especially since the gap between Borges and the players defending him isn’t as big as the gap between Messi and the players defending him.

I'm sorry I must have misunderstood. 

Good news is he was recently called up to a camp which I think is a huge positive. 

• 3 weeks later...

I know I'll get a lot of hate but in my opinion it seems like Joel Waterman, a part time starter, got the better move with a move to Montreal Impact than the league MVP who led his team to the first CPL Championship did. A sale to a European side is a significant event for CPL as a league but Oud-Heverlee Leuven FC is a step down from any MLS move even if by chance they do get promoted to the first division.

9 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I know I'll get a lot of hate but in my opinion it seems like Joel Waterman, a part time starter, got the better move with a move to Montreal Impact than the league MVP who led his team to the first CPL Championship did. A sale to a European side is a significant event for CPL as a league but Oud-Heverlee Leuven FC is a step down from any MLS move even if by chance they do get promoted to the first division.

We don’t know the terms of the deal though.  It’s 300k plus escalators that can make it be worth 500k.  I’m sure one of the  escalators is promotion and the other is around performance.

So it may be a good transfer.  Either way it’s good for Borges and the league.  If he really performs then future transfers will be larger.  This is a benchmark setting deal.  

2 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

We don’t know the terms of the deal though.  It’s 300k plus escalators that can make it be worth 500k.  I’m sure one of the  escalators is promotion and the other is around performance.

So it may be a good transfer.  Either way it’s good for Borges and the league.  If he really performs then future transfers will be larger.  This is a benchmark setting deal.  

The transfer fee is a good deal for the CPL and likely Forge FC. What Borges may have gotten is a higher salary from Leuven than he would have gotten from a Canadian MLS team who may have low balled him. So if that is the case then a good financial deal for Borges too.

King Power owning them makes it interesting. I suppose thats why the transfer fee is higher than expected. Huge for Forge who will have half next years wages covered by this single transfer, and great for Borges who I suspect is going to come in and be handed minutes, as thats a lot of cash in the second division of belgium for a Bench player. 

59 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Borges will probably start while waterman is likely to be a bench player. 

OHL are in the playoffs so they have a good chance to move up next season which would put Borges in a better place than MLS. 

20 minutes ago, Obinna said:

While I prefer this move to an MLS move, does this possibly rule him out for the Olympic qualifiers?

Clubs must release players for the fifa window, but the qualifiers don't perfectly fit into it, right? Might make things complicated.

If I just paid that much money for a player and I have promotion at stake, there is no way in hell he gets released except in a FIFA window.  

And imagine if he got injured during the qualifiers????  Someone’s head in Leuven would roll.

Edited by JamboAl