Tristan Borges

SCF08

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Exclusive 1 on 1 Video Interview with Tristan Borges - on the golden boot race with Campbell, if we could see more Canadians come back from Youth European Academies, U23 Qualifiers - Tokyo 2020, CanMNT possibilities & what the future holds ⬇️

That boys too cool man, and he's pure quality. I'm excited to watch his bright future. Keep it up young man! 

3 hours ago, Blackjack15 said:

Exclusive 1 on 1 Video Interview with Tristan Borges - on the golden boot race with Campbell, if we could see more Canadians come back from Youth European Academies, U23 Qualifiers - Tokyo 2020, CanMNT possibilities & what the future holds ⬇️

First time I have heard him in interview. 

Am I the only one who sees a resemblance to DeRosario?

• 1 month later...

Anymore rumours of where he might be playing next year? Even as a fan of forge, I will be disappointed if he plays for us next season. He is the epitome of what this league is about and won every award he could. So if anyone is going to take a step up it would be him.

Believe there was a rumour that he could go to Belgium and another that had him linked to the Impact (prior to Henry's arrival). Since then it has gone quiet.

5 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Anymore rumours of where he might be playing next year? Even as a fan of forge, I will be disappointed if he plays for us next season. He is the epitome of what this league is about and won every award he could. So if anyone is going to take a step up it would be him.

Believe there was a rumour that he could go to Belgium and another that had him linked to the Impact (prior to Henry's arrival). Since then it has gone quiet.

I agree with this. As much as we like having talent in Our League, the ultimate goal should be to get young Canadians playing and moving up the pyramid. 

On 11/27/2019 at 9:37 AM, Stryker911 said:

Yup just Belgium and the Impact so far from what I have seen. I would image the Impact are at least still interested as usually the team reporters say when a rumor was false or they aren't follow a player any more. 

Edited by Chad_Impact

6 hours ago, johnyb said:

I agree with this. As much as we like having talent in Our League, the ultimate goal should be to get young Canadians playing and moving up the pyramid. 

The ultimate goal for who? There are plenty of perspectives here. If I was a Forge fan I’d only want to see him leave if he brought in a transfer fee that could help improve the club. 

If the team and league get a reputation as being a showcase for talent and a track record for moving guys on to bigger leagues it can only help bring in the next wave of kids.  This first year with (rumored) mostly only one year contracts, getting transfer fees isnt too likely.  If you can goto kids stagnating at the MLS academies and show them a pathway, they'll come, and eventually with multiyear contracts and trnasfer fees.  Better for them to star in CPL than be buried in USL-1 or a traveling developmental squad.  

• 3 weeks later...

I want to see him advance too.. but lost in all of this is the simple fact that he continued to improve all year long.  He himself said it was the best year of football for him in his career and he loved it.  Now should he risk it all and leave now? OR should he try to see if he can continue that trajectory?

It's really not a confusing decision if you look it at that way.  Then come the summer window he'll have played half a season of CPL and some Voyageurs Cup games.. he and suitors will have a better idea of his game then.  I'm hoping wherever he goes he's someone that team sees slotting in, similar to Kaye with LAFC.

42 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I want to see him advance too.. but lost in all of this is the simple fact that he continued to improve all year long.  He himself said it was the best year of football for him in his career and he loved it.  Now should he risk it all and leave now? OR should he try to see if he can continue that trajectory?

It's really not a confusing decision if you look it at that way.  Then come the summer window he'll have played half a season of CPL and some Voyageurs Cup games.. he and suitors will have a better idea of his game then.  I'm hoping wherever he goes he's someone that team sees slotting in, similar to Kaye with LAFC.

The way I see it is, his stock is at an all time high right now. There is no where he could go (by staying in the CPL) that will continue the upward trajectory. He's won everything already, he can only match it or go down. 

Some clubs will still be thinking he has had one good year...not enough to convince them.  I think Canadafan123 has a good point, if he can have a strong start to the season it'll prove it was no fluke, and Forge could move him along and get a better payday.  

1 hour ago, TFC2017 said:

The way I see it is, his stock is at an all time high right now. There is no where he could go (by staying in the CPL) that will continue the upward trajectory. He's won everything already, he can only match it or go down. 

We're talking about different things.  You're talking about stock/value and I'm talking about his development.  I agree his stock likely can't go much higher on the basis of awards but his development can certainly continue.  

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We're talking about different things.  You're talking about stock/value and I'm talking about his development.  I agree his stock likely can't go much higher on the basis of awards but his development can certainly continue.  

I understand what you mean but how much more can he develop when he's playing against players below his ability? It'll cap his potential in my opinion. 

24 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

I understand what you mean but how much more can he develop when he's playing against players below his ability? It'll cap his potential in my opinion. 

You could ask the same question of guys like McDavid, Messi, Ronaldo etc. who have no other choice.  Yet they still improve and ascend.  Let's not pretend that Borges is dominating CPL on a Messi/Ronaldo level... if he was scoring a goal per game then for sure it's time to go but he still has some wiggle room to truly dominate this league.

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

You could ask the same question of guys like McDavid, Messi, Ronaldo etc. who have no other choice.  Yet they still improve and ascend.  Let's not pretend that Borges is dominating CPL on a Messi/Ronaldo level... if he was scoring a goal per game then for sure it's time to go but he still has some wiggle room to truly dominate this league.

That's a little unfair. McDavid, Messi and Ronaldo have always played at the highest levels possible. To relate them to Borges and the levels they played at to the Canadian Premier League are so different they shouldn't even be in the same conversation. Also although Borges is probably the best players in the league, I and most people who watch will probably agree that he isnt dominating the league on a Messi/Ronaldo level. I think you may be hyping him up a little too much. Great prospect and he should definitely move to a higher league but you seem to be exaggerating too much 

Edited by TFC2017

1 hour ago, TFC2017 said:

That's a little unfair. McDavid, Messi and Ronaldo have always played at the highest levels possible. To relate them to Borges and the levels they played at to the Canadian Premier League are so different they shouldn't even be in the same conversation. Also although Borges is probably the best players in the league, I and most people who watch will probably agree that he isnt dominating the league on a Messi/Ronaldo level. I think you may be hyping him up a little too much. Great prospect and he should definitely move to a higher league but you seem to be exaggerating too much 

I'm not relating the levels.  I'm relating skill proportionate to level.  I.e. McDavid is a lot more skilled than the average NHL player than Borges is more skilled than the average CPL player.

I'm unsure what you mean when you say I'm "hyping him up a little too much" by saying that it's okay to stay in CPL?  Do you mean I'm not hyping him enough?  

I'll try to make my point as simple as possible:  Borges is not THAT far above CPL level that it's a big deal that he's staying, in fact it could be positive based on his developmental trajectory of last year.