Tristan Borges

SCF08

I'd love it If Borges starts to see regular minutes in the Belgian First division, not only will he be making a strong argument to be called up legitimately play for the CMNT, it would be the, IMO, the first concrete case of the CanPL serving it's purpose, giving Canadian players a chance when no one else will. It would be quite the accomplishment story if Borges finds himself back in the CMNT mix with a revived club career due to his decision to go back to CPL. He is still only 21 and has so much room to grow and improve still, and I'm confident that even during these times, just training with OH Leuven has possibly done more to further move along his development.

Edited by LeoH037

OH Leuven lose 4-1 to Beerschot and 5-1 on aggregate in a series that means little since they both go up.  Borges did not make the bench and I haven't seen his name pop up at all in their friendlies leading up to this.  Not sure if he is injured or just having a tough time breaking into the 18.  Hoping he puts his head dowb and keeps working hard and manages to impress enough to win some minutes in the top flight next year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The frustrating part of this saga is Peter Galindo had an article looking at Borges #s and stats for Leuven and they were pretty good considering his minutes. New coach though has frozen him out. So it's not even a case of him being underwhelming prior to the coaching change.

Edited by VinceA

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

The frustrating part of this saga is Peter Galindo had an article looking at Borges #s and stats for Leuven and they were pretty good considering his minutes. New coach though has frozen him out. So it's not even a case of him being underwhelming prior to the coaching change.

We don't know what's happening in training or his current fitness level...

7 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Did Leuvin sign a bunch of better players during the offseason in his position or something? Seems weird that he’d be brought in, see minutes almost right away, then completely vanish. 

Coaching change i believe 

• 2 weeks later...

The U23 team should be his coming out party/put up or shut up moment for me. He should be the one of the top runners for that RW side, also he can play all over. Unless someone like Dominik Yankov or Ferdi Kadioglu comes over. The top three should be ( no particular order) - Twardek, Buchanan, Borges. 

7CA7DB33-4BE2-4A00-BB20-FF6A03FA67B2.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Ansem said:

News about Borges

According to the article, OH Leuven ended up with 38 first-team players after a busy transfer window and only one departure from last season, so they've sent 12 players, including Borges, to train separate from the main squad.

Unfortunate, but it seemed very possible that at an ambitious and well-monied club like Leuven that Borges might get pushed out with promotion. Hopefully he can get a loan back to the second division or another European league.

The exiled group contains two new signings, weirdly. The manager did emphasize that players in the second group could make their way back into the first team over the course of the season.

Edited by Zem

28 minutes ago, Zem said:

According to the article, OH Leuven ended up with 38 first-team players after a busy transfer window and only one departure from last season, so they've sent 12 players, including Borges, to train separate from the main squad.

Unfortunate, but it seemed very possible that at an ambitious and well-monied club like Leuven that Borges might get pushed out with promotion. Hopefully he can get a loan back to the second division or another European league.

The exiled group contains two new signings, weirdly. The manager did emphasize that players in the second group could make their way back into the first team over the course of the season.

Interesting. I think he needs a loan elsewhere. Maybe to the First Division B.

The article does add this though - He needs to work harder to earn his 1st team spot. 

OHL does not say goodbye to the players who have now ended up in the second group. The idea is that those who impress training in the second group still have a chance of being recaptured, and that players from the first group who fail can also be sent to the second group.

11 hours ago, Zem said:

38 first-team players!!! It’s silly that clubs are allowed to carry as many players as they want.  I feel bad for Borges if he’s “trapped” in this situation.

48 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

38 first-team players!!! It’s silly that clubs are allowed to carry as many players as they want.  I feel bad for Borges if he’s “trapped” in this situation.

Not even the richest Premier League clubs are 'allowed' to carry more than 25 senior, professional players. They are required to submit 25-man lists for both the Premier League and Champions League or Europa League. If a player doesn't appear on either of those lists, unless they're classified as a youth player, they're effectively fucked. For example, Liverpool were more or less forced to grant Marko Grujic a season-long loan, with no obligations, to Porto because they couldn't fit him on either list. 

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

The article does add this though - He needs to work harder to earn his 1st team spot. 

OHL does not say goodbye to the players who have now ended up in the second group. The idea is that those who impress training in the second group still have a chance of being recaptured, and that players from the first group who fail can also be sent to the second group.

Bullsh#t. If you're not training with the head coach, he will never see anyone improve. I don't understand they didn't work on loan deals. This is a waste.