Tristan Borges

SCF08

In context - MLS Year 1*

*Before I hear "but it was 1996", Europe was still Europe in 96.

MVP was Carlos Valderrama

image.png.6ea248f9cf3a1fe1ba91fc3330b6c414.png

Best scorer was Roy Lassiter

image.png.f0cf5f3cb05d0809be7b91a2e561da11.png

Best rookie was Steve Ralston

image.png.d0e4e06cb06f9190f662db6d42ddc2c0.png

Talks about Borges being a bad look on CPL is ridiculous. CPL will produce better talent as time goes by just like everyone else. Our year 1 was Borges. It gets better from here.

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

In context - MLS Year 1*

*Before I hear "but it was 1996", Europe was still Europe in 96.

MVP was Carlos Valderrama

image.png.6ea248f9cf3a1fe1ba91fc3330b6c414.png

Best scorer was Roy Lassiter

image.png.f0cf5f3cb05d0809be7b91a2e561da11.png

Best rookie was Steve Ralston

image.png.d0e4e06cb06f9190f662db6d42ddc2c0.png

Talks about Borges being a bad look on CPL is ridiculous. CPL will produce better talent as time goes by just like everyone else. Our year 1 was Borges. It gets better from here.

Not that I disagree with your overall premise, because I do not. I think it is way too early to paint the Borges transfer as negative. 

However, just want to point out that Valderrama and Lassiter were established professionals. Borges was far from that in 2019 (and still is). I guess the Steve Ralston comparison is fair though. He went on to have a solid career. Hopefully Borges can as well.

BTW...look at Lassiter, USMNT player spending time lighting up the Costa Rican Primera division! What an era eh? I kind of wish the Central American leagues were stronger. It would give CCL more depth. 

At least the CanPL can hopefully be a viable no. 3 one day (same for the CanMNT).

8 hours ago, Ansem said:

Yes, he was the best of "year 1 CPL" and was brought in to play in D2 - no D1 teams took him.

From the analysis I posted earlier, D2 looks like the level where he belongs and was brought to play there - not D1. Can he potentially improve enough to get 1st club minutes in D1? Maybe, but that's up to him to impress his coach and prove that he can.

I don't see it as a failure just yet. Had the club remained in D2 and he still could not crack the 1st team than yes, that would have been a fail in my book

Yes and no.  He signed for a D2 club that was in a very good spot promotion and there was a lot of posts on here about that's why he signed for them and how great it would be for him to get to D1.  So I think it's a bit misleading to say he was "brought in to play D2".  He got some minutes in D2 and didn't make much of an impact, but of course the switch in managers also plays a factor.  I don't think anyone has said it's a failure yet, just that it hasn't worked out the way anyone had hopped and to get back on track is going to be a bit tricky (given the new manager and volume of players at the current club).

4 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

It’s only a pipe-dream, but I’d love it if Canada soccer had a goal for the 3 Canadian MLS teams to break away from MLS for the season after the 2026 World Cup and join the CPL.

I kinda like our current situation. It is unique. I love the CanPL, but I do not see a scenario where those 3 clubs join and get stronger as a result. They will get only weaker. Plus we lose access to a rising league in MLS. I see the sentimental value in it however. To each their own!

Edited by Obinna

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I kinda like our current situation. It is unique. I love the CanPL, but I do not see a scenario where those 3 clubs join and get stronger as a result. They will get only weaker. Plus we lose access to a rising league in MLS. I see the sentimental value in it however. To each their own!

I see positives in both scenarios but overall I lean towards status quo.  

Migration of the big 3 would definitely elevate the CPL.  It would make the league more commercially viable by adding the 3 biggest markets (and not divided attention like if we add CPL teams in those markets while MLS is there).  The three teams themselves would get weaker but it is debatable whether or not that would be a net loss due to the significant boost that would give to our domestic league.  It would inject a lot of funds and could set up the league to launch a D2 for smaller markets.   The downside of course (and it isn’t a small one) is that we lose access to MLS.  

The other scenario - and the one I lean towards (though not that strongly) is to maintain all 3 teams in MLS while the CPL grows on its current trajectory.    Access to MLS will continue to matter more and more as the league’s quality grows.  And it is growing.  People can say what they want about it but the level of play is rising steadily and it is at the point where we can have guys not only making a very good living there, but also staying at the top of their game (at a very respectable ceiling).  Oso, Piette, Laryea, etc - they are all solid players for us who are at home in MLS.  That speaks to the league quality.   Losing those three markets would be significant because I think they will be even more important in 20 years.  Not saying MLS will ever be the world’s top soccer league but the US is home to the richest leagues in every other sport so it would be foolish to be against MLS’s continued growth. The one thing I would like to see - and this has been beaten to death on here - is a slightly more prominent role for the CSA to mandate better player development opportunities for continued sanctioning.  Not sure if this is requiring more activity at the academy level, player quotas, etc - but I think they could be doing more.   

Like I said - status quo is my preference because as much as I criticize MLS for the asymmetrical treatment if Canadian and US players, it is still a big benefit for Canadian footy.  But if Ansem’s wet dreams comes to pass and they are forced into CPL, it’s not like all is lost.  

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Italo-CanadianFootyFan said:

Borges got the start and went the full 90 by some Canada soccer God Christmas Miracle today...at LB to boot! By all accounts played pretty well. Hopefully this is the start of a turn around for him in Europe 👍🏼🇨🇦

Funny that you said he played well.. he actually didn’t even make the 18. Check the abroad thread!

12 hours ago, top cheese said:

It’s taken mls like 25 years to get to the point we’re it’s to now. That’s with dp and internationals making 6 figures. Cpl won’t get near that without paying players decent salary

Surely you mean 7 figures.

• 1 month later...

Well they did bring him and if the coaches thought he was good on the training ground you would think they would have given him more of a shot.  What did he get..a handful of games?  Maybe it was just too big of a jump.  Maybe another year in CPL wouldnt have hurt him.  

8 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Absolute nightmare of a transfer. His options are probably very limited at this point. Think he’s likely to be back in CPL this season

The good news there is that there is that fall back. While it would be a bit of a depressing outcome it is at least one of the bonus's and point of the existence of the league. I do wonder if there might be some MLS interest though. 

22 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Well they did bring him and if the coaches thought he was good on the training ground you would think they would have given him more of a shot.  What did he get..a handful of games?  Maybe it was just too big of a jump.  Maybe another year in CPL wouldnt have hurt him.  

I believe that the coach was replaced after gaining promotion.

The coach that brought him in, gave him a bit of playing time here and there as they were in a promotion race, however once the new coach came in he was never heard from again