Tristan Borges

SCF08

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Would be a good sign for league quality and respect if he is sold onto a half decent club in say Belgium or Netherlands. The transfer fee would also help the league in the financial sustainability department. 

Same agent as David & Larin so Belgium seems like a possible destination.

For me he is one of maybe a half dozen players who deserve to move on to a stronger league. Of those who should probably not be kept with a better contract. 

I'd put Carducci on that list, though I think he won't move, not yet. For keepers it is tougher.

Teran Campbell, as a goal scorer, should probably be picked up as well, though he too would be fine as the starter for Pacific next year if the team gets rid of some of their more pricey veterans. He's young enough to hang on for now. 

Other than that there are not too many more cut and dry transfers up out of CPL.

I would like to see Bustos transfer on from the cpl. He is having a good season personally, but perhaps he doesn’t get noticed with Valour’s struggles. It seems like he has been around for a while, and he has 6 NT caps, but the reality is he is only 2 years older than Borges. 

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would like to see Bustos transfer on from the cpl. He is having a good season personally, but perhaps he doesn’t get noticed with Valour’s struggles. It seems like he has been around for a while, and he has 6 NT caps, but the reality is he is only 2 years older than Borges. 

What do you think Bustos ceiling is and where is best fit?

(Sorry - realized off topic, feel free to delete)

Edited by hamiltonfan

I still think his ceiling is MLS or a similar level in Europe or Latin America, excluding the big clubs those leagues.

I don't ever think he'll play for an Ajax or Celtic or Benfica, but I think he has the potential to play for a Herenveen or Aberdeen or Nacional. 

Like Borges, I think his technique is way above the others in the CPL.

Never considered his one-footedness being an issue at a higher level, though it could be. I think a bigger issue could be his lack of strength and size. I can see him getting pushed around higher up the food chain.

14 hours ago, hamiltonfan said:

What do you think Bustos ceiling is and where is best fit?

(Sorry - realized off topic, feel free to delete)

I think Bustos is at a good level for him right now.  He’s doing pretty good but not dominating.  He has good skills and motor but his size and one footed ply limits him.

At 23 he has some development left but as a top end he’s an MLS reserve or fringy starter at this point.  He can be a good CPL player.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ok so not entirely on topic but related to Borges.

He is one, for sure: who are the other CPL players who would be best bets for transfers up to clearly superior leagues?

I honestly think there are not that many out there. Most of the better guys in CPL are pretty solid CPL material, as I see it.

Depends by what you mean by "clearly superior leagues". That excludes MLS I'm guessing and focus on Europe top tiers?

If so, hard to see outside of Borges as of now...the league just started after all

4 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Depends by what you mean by "clearly superior leagues". That excludes MLS I'm guessing and focus on Europe top tiers?

f so, hard to see outside of Borges as of now...the league just started after all

MLS is a clearly superior league, thought that was obvious. From CPL to MLS is a step up.

I am sorry but IMO there is not a single CPL player who clearly rivals for a starting spot on an MLS team. I am not pro MLS or want to be disparaging towards CPL or anything, I just think this is a fair assessment.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

MLS is a clearly superior league, thought that was obvious. From CPL to MLS is a step up.

I am sorry but IMO there is not a single CPL player who clearly rivals for a starting spot on an MLS team. I am not pro MLS or want to be disparaging towards CPL or anything, I just think this is a fair assessment.

A few teams could use Borges in MLS, I'd say the same for Gasparatto and Zator.

Not wanting to hate on Evan Bush but Carducci would do a better job in my opinion at a fraction of the price

Edited by Ansem

MLS is a a lot better league.  Period.  More money, DP, TAM GAM etc allow them to build rosters that are clearly superior.  But top to bottom??  HAHA, there are some shit teams and plenty of shit players getting starts in MLS.  I am sure if you took a top 11 of the CPL at the end of the year, you could fit a couple of them into a MLS starting job somewhere depending on need.  The same way a few USL guys move up and a small % win spots.      

17 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

MLS is a a lot better league.  Period.  More money, DP, TAM GAM etc allow them to build rosters that are clearly superior.  But top to bottom??  HAHA, there are some **** teams and plenty of **** players getting starts in MLS.  I am sure if you took a top 11 of the CPL at the end of the year, you could fit a couple of them into a MLS starting job somewhere depending on need.  The same way a few USL guys move up and a small % win spots.      

Some teams in MLS have really good starting XI...however, the main reason why I haven't fully bought in the hype is that they are 1 or 2 injuries away for a drastic drop in quality.

Montreal without Piatti or Piette was atrocious. We remember TFC when they lose 1 or 2 DPs. Vancouver not replacing Davies and I could go on. That's why I die laughing when some die hard claims a top MLS team would qualify to the UEFA Champions League. It takes roster depth to do that which is why they still can't win CCL. Liga MX teams have more depth and can perform at a similar level when they have injuries and red cards, not MLS.

Edited by Ansem

Borges for sure can play another level higher and I fully expect him to leave the CPL sooner than later.

Bustos and Petrasso, I think, can play a level higher, but I can also see them playing the majority of their careers in the CPL and becoming that first generation of record setters for goals, assists, etc.

If you are Petrasso, do you really want to go back to the UK and try (again) to climb up the ranks of English football?

If you are Bustos, literally playing at home, are you going to want to play more ball in the USL or Mexican second division?

Anyways, I'd give both a 50/50 chance of moving up a level. I would be surprised if either left for a lateral move.

Pasquatti, Adekugbe, Carducci, Campbell, Verhoven I can see moving on from the CPL, perhaps more so than Bustos and Petrasso, but that is because none of them have played meaningful time elsewhere.

They'll all be looking for an MLS move, but if that doesn't materialize I can see lateral moves to lower European leagues, eventually.

This is different from Borges. I think when he moves it is going to be a significant step up, whether that be MLS, Liga MX, Belgium or perhaps back to Holland. That's the kind of move I expect.

His heritage is Portugese, right? Perhaps a low or mid level team in Liga Nos would be in the cards?

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No CPL player can win a starting spot on any team in MLS? I call bull shit on that. 

Oh, and F*** you a second time for what you said yesterday. 

Not letting your dumbass off the hook that easily even though Jamie deleted your stupidity. 

Edited by Macksam

12 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Gasparotto is going to go from being dumped out of the Scottish second tier to MLS in one season? I get the excitement at our own league, but come on guys.

Bigger leaps over the course of a year happen all the time. I haven’t watched a whole lot of his game, but the concept isn’t all that shocking 

Oh for F%cks sake, does anyone watch Columbus or CIncy???  They are terrible!!  We know Calgary beat Vancouver already,  of course there is a chance that someone in CPL replaces some skidmark starting in MLS right now.  Kaye wasnt a stand out in USL and took off in MLS the next year and was an allstar the next.  And there is going to be 2 expansion teams next year.  The right guy, the right situation..it can happen. 

12 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Borges would have been a starter for the Whitecaps by the end of the season. He would have filled a significant need for the team and been an improvement on what they had. I say this having watched every Whitecaps game this season, several Borges games on One Soccer and one Borges game in person. The guy can play.

He’s going to be the guy first proving the CPL concept. Well set-up to continue onwards come January, including his agents proven access and delivery