Tristan Borges

SCF08

21 hours ago, Ansem said:

A few teams could use Borges in MLS, I'd say the same for Gasparatto and Zator.

Not wanting to hate on Evan Bush but Carducci would do a better job in my opinion at a fraction of the price

Gasparatto is worse than Zavaleta who is 5th CB at the moment. 

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Oh for F%cks sake, does anyone watch Columbus or CIncy???  They are terrible!!  We know Calgary beat Vancouver already,  of course there is a chance that someone in CPL replaces some skidmark starting in MLS right now.  Kaye wasnt a stand out in USL and took off in MLS the next year and was an allstar the next.  And there is going to be 2 expansion teams next year.  The right guy, the right situation..it can happen. 

Agree with most of this, but Kaye was absolutely a standout in USL. Did you think he caught Zambrano's eye while being an average player in USL? No, he was one of Lou City's best players.

13 minutes ago, RS said:

Agree with most of this, but Kaye was absolutely a standout in USL. Did you think he caught Zambrano's eye while being an average player in USL? No, he was one of Lou City's best players.

In his final season with Louisville, he came off the bench for 9 of his 23 appearances, and was an unused sub several times. That is not the normal usage of one of the team's best players.

Edited by jonovision

17 minutes ago, jonovision said:

In his final season with Louisville, he came off the bench for 9 of his 23 appearances, and was an unused sub in 11 matches. That is not the normal usage of one of the team's best players.

I recall him having an injury in the first half of the season that kept him off the field (and may have kept him on the bench for precautionary reasons when he was close to 100%), but he started most of the games in the second half.

9 minutes ago, RS said:

Holy moley??  He was not the full time starter for Louisville before the gold cup.  Nobody on here was advocating for him to go to the gold cup.  And he went on a tear AFTER the gold cup.  Scored 3 goals in 4 games or something like that, team of the week etc.  And I thought Zambrano had seen Kaye with the u-23's in Qatar??

I'm not slamming Kaye, I am saying that there are guys at that level that no one is looking at that are capable of making a jump with the right circumstances.  

Some aren't capable of looking past labels.

Playing CPL doesn't mean that you can't play at MLS level. Frustrating to see how roster rules plays a much heavier hand in why there aren't more Canadians in MLS, it's not necessarily that they aren't "MLS level quality" (that term I'm finding absurd)

In fairness there have been Canadian players that have been given ample chances in the MLS but just couldn’t cut it at the time. Does it me that a Petrasso might not get a second chance? If he plays well in the CPL I’m sure teams will be calling in MLS and abroad. I think we need to get away from thinking that every Canadian player who is not getting playing time in the MLS is not getting a lot of minutes is because he is Canadian. Some are not playing because they are just not performing at a level their respective coaches want them to perform at. The great thing about the CPL now there is a league here in Canada where they can come back home and regain their confidence. However, you will be surprised in the coming years that there will be Canadian players who didn’t get a lot of playing time in the MLS come to the CPL and eventually not being able to play well in the CPL either because surprise surprise some of these Canadian MLS players were probably not very good players and even moving to the CPL they won’t be able to hack it because they are just not good enough. The beauty of having the CPL it will with some Canadian players show us why player A or B couldn’t hack it in the MLS or even in Europe simply we will see that some of them are just not good to play soccer in any pro league.

Edited by SoccMan

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Some aren't capable of looking past labels.

Playing CPL doesn't mean that you can't play at MLS level. Frustrating to see how roster rules plays a much heavier hand in why there aren't more Canadians in MLS, it's not necessarily that they aren't "MLS level quality" (that term I'm finding absurd)

This! I think we are seeing many players in this league (CPL) who certainly could hold down a roster spot and be an improvement on some of the others but as you point out it's about roster rules and in my opinion much bias!

Kaye and Cordova were both selected by interim coach Michael Findlay to participate in that U23 camp in Qatar before Zambrano was even hired. Zambrano was at that camp after his hiring and most certainly evaluated them and followed them after - hence the Gold Cup opportunity for Kaye and the friendly call up for Cordova. Neither were “discovered” by Zambrano.

23 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I agree, even more so when you consider the fact MLS would be stingy on transfer fees.

Worse than that!

Scenario

There are offers from Holland, Belgium and MLS. If you're Forge, you know that selling to MLS would mean that Sigma gets screwed on solidarity payments. Logically, Europe makes more sense to prioritize

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Holy moley??  He was not the full time starter for Louisville before the gold cup.  Nobody on here was advocating for him to go to the gold cup.  And he went on a tear AFTER the gold cup.  Scored 3 goals in 4 games or something like that, team of the week etc.  And I thought Zambrano had seen Kaye with the u-23's in Qatar??

I'm not slamming Kaye, I am saying that there are guys at that level that no one is looking at that are capable of making a jump with the right circumstances.  

I wasn't advocating for it per se, but when he made the team I was okay with it based on his U-23 play. There were a couple others who defended the call, but not many as far as I remember.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I wasn't advocating for it per se, but when he made the team I was okay with it based on his U-23 play. There were a couple others who defended the call, but not many as far as I remember.

I remember Obinna, but it wasnt like with Telfer or Cordova this last camp where plenty of people were strongly advocating for them to be invited.  Or like Kaye was tearing up USL and it was an obvious choice.  

I dont know who picked the squad for the Aspire tournie, but didnt they announce Zambrano before the roster for Qatar??  Doesnt really matter, Kaye had been in that youth carabean tour earlier anyways so everyone at CSA should have known all about him.  The big thing was that Zambrano was the one to put him out with the big boys at the gold cup and EVERYONE was pleasantly surprised at that he didnt look out of place.  And I think everyone would credit that as being his breakout, and its been a meteoric rise ever since then.  

5 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

Kaye and Cordova were both selected by interim coach Michael Findlay to participate in that U23 camp in Qatar before Zambrano was even hired. Zambrano was at that camp after his hiring and most certainly evaluated them and followed them after - hence the Gold Cup opportunity for Kaye and the friendly call up for Cordova. Neither were “discovered” by Zambrano.

This is a fair point.

32 minutes ago, Ansem said:

You're saying that LAFC would pay solidarity payments to Sigma but not to a US academy?

I’m saying there is precedent for MLS teams making solidarity payments to Canadian youth clubs. 

The issue is the USSF.

7 hours ago, soccer.shocker said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/zambrano-visits-qatar-already-planning-get-back-world-cup/sn-amp/

you're confusing Scotland with Qatar.  He watched the Scotland match but was involved with Qatar and the selection.

But Floro already called Kaye to the u23 team in 2015 (and 2016 too I believe).

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/zambrano-visits-qatar-already-planning-get-back-world-cup/sn-amp/

you're confusing Scotland with Qatar.  He watched the Scotland match but was involved with Qatar and the selection.

But Floro already called Kaye to the u23 team in 2015 (and 2016 too I believe).

No I am not. Both the MNT Scotland friendly and U23 sides were selected by Findlay before Zambrano was hired. Yes Zambrano took over on the sideline in Qatar but the roster was already selected. Findlay himself said as much when I had the chance to speak to him at an airport later that summer. Zambrano apparently had not even met some of his assistant coaches before he took over, let alone select a roster for a camp. 

4 minutes ago, soccer.shocker said:

No I am not. Both the MNT Scotland friendly and U23 sides were selected by Findlay before Zambrano was hired. Yes Zambrano took over on the sideline in Qatar but the roster was already selected. Findlay himself said as much when I had the chance to speak to him at an airport later that summer. Zambrano apparently had not even met some of his assistant coaches before he took over, let alone select a roster for a camp. 

I stand corrected.  So this totally defeats the notion that Zambrano discovered/attracted anyone really - interesting as that is one of the OZ cult's main talking points.  

7 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I stand corrected. So this totally defeats the notion that Zambrano discovered/attracted anyone really - interesting as that is one of the OZ cult's main talking points.  

You think Kaye signs for LAFC if not for the opportunity OZ gave him at the Gold Cup in 2017?

Edited by Bertuzzi44