Doneil Henry

Coramoor

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Henry gets into trouble when he tries for the "big play," such as diving in on a challenge when he doesn't need to or goes for a low percentage clearance.  And when he makes a mistake, he has too long a memory for it and has more errors in succession when his head is out of the game. 

He had a rough start on the ball vs Surinam but that got settled after the first 20 mins. However, Hasselbaink's skillset was a perfect match for Henry's defensive strengths, so we got to see a solid match from him (only one diving in slide challenge that he was able to win).  

He just needs to be steady out there.  If he is, then we are fine. 

This is it. As a CB you’re really defined by your lack of mistakes as opposed to the number of great plays you make (pretty much the opposite of a forward).

I wish he could be more pragmatic about how he plays. There are a lot of things to like about his game otherwise.

33 minutes ago, ag futbol said:

This is it. As a CB you’re really defined by your lack of mistakes as opposed to the number of great plays you make (pretty much the opposite of a forward).

I wish he could be more pragmatic about how he plays. There are a lot of things to like about his game otherwise.

Definitely.  Even with leg injuries he has good recovery wheels and is a tough guy to get around 1 v 1 or contesting 50/50s, while he has always been strong in the air, including being a serious threat on attacking free kicks.  He's a better marker when the guy's in front of him getting the ball then when the foward is off the ball on his periphery.  It's all about decision making for him, wherever he is in the backline.

I was very confident going into the second leg, but when Henry got that early yellow (silly decision by ref imo) I thought "the one way we can lose is if Henry gets sent off". Would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about that. However, Henry stayed disciplined, but importantly was still aggressive when he needed to be. As mentioned above, Henry was stylistically a good match up. He straight up bullied Nazon a couple times, and Nazon is no joke physically (though tbf he may not have been fully fit).

He got jobbed on that yellow.  How many games have you seen where the ref refuses to call a yellow until damn near halftime, no matter what kind of tackle it is.  He did well managing himself after that, and didnt fall to pieces as everyone predicted.  He needs to e smarter, but he also was  still aggressive and broke up a bunch of plays on his side and gives Vittoria way more cover with his mobility.  Not to mention he is strong, tall and gets his head on a lot of balls (even if he heads them into the stands).  How many mistake free games does a guy have to play before they even out the mistakes??  He just played in 3 important games for us, and did very well.   Maybe we can tamp down the hand wringing when his name is in the starting 11 in the future??  

Henry is starting in a back three for a Suwon team that's right up there competing for the Korean championship this year, and he just played some monster mistake-free minutes over the last two weeks for us.  His composure and maturity is miles ahead of where he was in Vancouver. I think the Doneil Henry we always knew was in there has arrived, which is great news for our back line for the next few years.

Edited by Trois Reds
Spelling

12 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

Henry is starting in a back three for a Suwon team that's right up there competing for the Korean championship this year, and he just played some monster mistake-free minutes over the last two weeks for us.  His composure and maturity is miles ahead of where he was in Vancouver. I think the Doneil Henry we always knew was in there has arrived, which is great news for our back line for the next few years.

OK but, K-League is quite a bit below the level of MLS.  Also need to consider we didn't exactly play against anyone in the ocho yet.  Henry was barely tested the past two weeks, and still looked careless in tackles. 

We need a dose of reality before talking like he's back on West Hams radar again.

16 minutes ago, costarg said:

OK but, K-League is quite a bit below the level of MLS.  Also need to consider we didn't exactly play against anyone in the ocho yet.  Henry was barely tested the past two weeks, and still looked careless in tackles. 

We need a dose of reality before talking like he's back on West Hams radar again.

No, it's really not. 

13 minutes ago, costarg said:

I am not sure that's fair to say, because if Henry was barely tested, since we never played anyone in the ocho, the same is true for Kennedy and Johnson, both of which we've been heavily praising. I don't think Henry was as good as those two, but he wasn't far behind. He did pick up that card while in the RCB spot against Haiti, which was exactly my concern about playing him there, and was best in the heart of the back 3, which is where I think we idelly want him. 

Either way, we should be happy with the Doneil Henry that showed up during this window. I was one of his biggest critics in the lead up, but I will be the first to say he deserves credit for the job he did. Well done.

I don't know anything about Asian clubs, but for what it's worth, Korea has won the Asian Champions League more than any other nation, with 12 titles. And it's not all one team, they have had 6 different teams win it all, and another 2 that have made it to the final without winning. So they definitely have more Champions League success than MLS, but I doubt there are any leagues in Asia as strong as Liga MX.

I'm not going to bother looking at Club World Cup results though, since it is always hosted in Asia which gives them a huge advantage, plus they get 2 teams in it every time due to the host getting a spot, so it doubles their chances of good results.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

I don't have that much to go by, but this should be a good indicator.  K-League market value, from top:

image.png.97eff3f48ea5831489166ae1e14607f0.png 

K-league players are good enough for South Korea, the #39th ranked team in the world.

I bet an all domestic Korean team would give an all domestic USA team a run for their money. Maybe even win!

1126564704_southkoreateam.jpg.c79c0fdf66e751cd1779681e717d14a9.jpg

6 hours ago, costarg said:

I don't have that much to go by, but this should be a good indicator.  K-League market value, from top:

image.png.97eff3f48ea5831489166ae1e14607f0.png 

Don’t have much knowledge on the K League, but what I do know is the MLS is very top heavy. The whole DP/Cap league makes teams spend heavy on big name players and then fill out the roster with much lesser players. I would assume K League and MLS are of similar levels.

This is why the MLS has troubles with Liga MX sides. Sure, Top MLS sides have some big money players, but it’s the depth that kills them. 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

You guys are doing a great job of reassuring me, I hope it is indeed the case.  I'm really not trying to bash Henry, just any info I found didn't seem to indicate the level of opposition in K-League is anywhere near the forwards you'd face as a CB in MLS or any other major competitive league.  Rooting for Henry all the way, would be great if he becomes the rock CB we need back there.  

• 2 months later...