Doneil Henry

Coramoor

Didn't get to watch the match, but as a TFC fan who watched him for years just want to remind you guys that Doneil can look like a beast for 89 out of 90 minutes but taint it with a total brain fart that leads to a goal. Hopefully with age he has improved his decision making. By the sounds of it in Ottawa he was playing safer now by blasting it out instead of fucking around with the ball in his own third, so there's hope. Give him a handful of games and then assess his performance.

Edited by jpg75

6 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Didn't get to watch the match, but as a TFC fan who watched him for years just want to remind you guys that Doneil can look like a beast for 89 out of 90 minutes but taint it with a total brain fart that leads to a goal. Hopefully with age he has improved his decision making. By the sounds of it in Ottawa he's playing safer now by blasting it out instead of fucking around with the ball in his own third, so there's hope. Give him a handful of games and then assess his performance.

He played it very safe today, but  totally understand where you’re coming from.  This is where a Star CB can support Henry.  Watson and Henry are  going to be  beasts. 

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

He played it very safe today, but  totally understand where you’re coming from.  This is where a Star CB can support Henry.  Watson and Henry are  going to be  beasts. 

I see Waston leaving sooner rather than later and it being Aja and someone, Henry perhaps, but only if his damaged body can miraculously handle MLS abuse and regular BC Place plastic. 

Edited by nolando

6 hours ago, nolando said:

I see Waston leaving sooner rather than later and it being Aja and someone, Henry perhaps, but only if his damaged body can miraculously handle MLS abuse and regular BC Place plastic. 

They really got to get rid of that plastic ! Aja is a  good CB

That was to Gashi.  Price delivered the cross.  Agree that this was probably Doneil's only slip, though.  I also was surprised by how talkative Doneil was in the interview a couple of days before.  I remember when he was at TFC, he was painfully shy.  He's grown up a lot going overseas, it would seem.

2 hours ago, shorty said:

That was to Gashi.  Price delivered the cross.  Agree that this was probably Doneil's only slip, though.  I also was surprised by how talkative Doneil was in the interview a couple of days before.  I remember when he was at TFC, he was painfully shy.  He's grown up a lot going overseas, it would seem.

Agree. I thought he was otherwise dominant in the air, blocked at least 2 shots, made a couple of great tackles, solid positioning and lofted a 50 or 60 yard pin point pass to Levis in the last part of the game that put him 1 v1 with the keeper. Pretty impressive debut for his first MLS game since 2014....can't believe he has been away for almost 4 years. Just stay healthy Doneil.

I was happy to see Doneil play well. Very solid. I wouldn't pencil him in as a full time starter. Aja has impressed also and offers a bit of a different style than Waston/Henry. Aja by cb standards is very comfortable on the ball and positionally very consistent. I think Henry is more long term for Caps as there is thought Waston might be sold at some ppoint

After watching some of the Ottawa games and last night, he sure seems different than the raw boned kid that was at tfc all those years ago.  With his european adventure behind him, he should be just coming into his peak years as a CB. And he already has damn near 100 games TFC already, why wouldnt he be relaxed...coming back to MLS?  Great job!!  

Henry has never been a great passer of the ball and with TFC he was often played out of position on a dysfunctional and incompetent team. People crapped on him constantly and always seemed to pin blame on him where most of the time should've been pinned on others - mostly the managers.

When he plays a simple game within his means, he is a REALLY effective player. He gets his head on everything defensively and offensively. With a strong team around him (that plays well positionally), where he is not relied upon to make an outlet pass, he would be an upper echelon player in MLS.

If he can stay healthy, he  will be an important part of CMNT over the next 4-5 years.

8 hours ago, hodgkiss said:

Henry has never been a great passer of the ball and with TFC he was often played out of position on a dysfunctional and incompetent team. People crapped on him constantly and always seemed to pin blame on him where most of the time should've been pinned on others - mostly the managers.

When he plays a simple game within his means, he is a REALLY effective player. He gets his head on everything defensively and offensively. With a strong team around him (that plays well positionally), where he is not relied upon to make an outlet pass, he would be an upper echelon player in MLS.

If he can stay healthy, he  will be an important part of CMNT over the next 4-5 years.

TFC eh how about a really stubborn coach Canada use to have who kept insisting he was a wide defender when it was painfully obvious even from a blind man that Henry was not a wide defender , but it did not matter to that stubborn coach even after blunder after blunder he kept putting Henry it that position , but what did this particular coach care , him and his son made a good buck in the end and moved on to new adventures!

Yeah I dont remember Henry playing alot of RB with TFC.  The fact that he has simplified his game a bit and doesnt try to be a outlet passer shows he has matured.  Being a good solid defender and a threat on set pieces will give him a long career.  I also didnt see many of the rash, physical challenges he used to make.  

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

Yeah I dont remember Henry playing alot of RB with TFC.  The fact that he has simplified his game a bit and doesnt try to be a outlet passer shows he has matured.  Being a good solid defender and a threat on set pieces will give him a long career.  I also didnt see many of the rash, physical challenges he used to make.  

He only played RB under Mariner I believe.