Doneil Henry

Coramoor

2 hours ago, BradMack said:

I don't know where you're pulling this information from...Considering Canada hasn't played since March and Henry wasn't avaliable through injury. Pretty bold claim when you consider Herdman hasn't even had a shot to call him up yet. Doneil will be a starter for this team if the starting 11 is based on any sort of merit. 

Sorry bud but this guy has been mistake prone since he started playing with TFC and also with national teams at every age level he has played at for Canada , he is a mistake machine I don’t need anymore proof from this guy.

7 hours ago, BradMack said:

Are you pretending you said "In the future" in your post? Because you didn't... I don't really care if tonights game didn't help his case if we are talking about your claim that he is stuck on the bench and given the Subban treatment by Herdman. Which is a pretty strange claim to make considering Herdman has only been in charge for one game and Doneil was unavaliable for that game. Perhaps you mis-spoke, but c'mon, atleast admit it man.

I'm not really into arguing and I like your positive attitude posts on here all the time, so lets get back on topic...

I meant in the future. If he's called by Canada, not sure he starts. His decision making scares me too much. I want him to do well but I've seen him play for Canada before and last night was just deja vu

7 hours ago, BradMack said:

If you doubt that Henry deserves to be in the 11 for Canada, who are your starting CBs? An Aging Jako and Vitoria who imo got exposed vs speedy CONCACAF forwards in the Jamaica quarter final? Perhaps an aging David Edgar who has played what like 2 USL games this year? I don't think I would throw Cornelius, Didic or Sadiki to the wolves just yet as they all currently play at a low level or just don't play for their clubs, and don't have any senior international experience either so we basically haven't seen them play against men. James is the only option you could make a case for being above Henry on the depth chart id say, and even he plays as a midfielder on a D2 side in Norway. 

It was Jakovic and James against New Zealand. Cornelius was an unused sub.

Just saying that Henry wouldn't be my 1st choice for important games/tournaments.

For USVI and Dominica I'd try Cornelius during those games. He's 20 and has played against men at club level. We need to see what he can do internationally.

Come Gold Cup and Nation League A games, I hope we'd have better options. *

*The importance of Ricardo Ferreira 

Edited by Ansem

With the kind of oppositions we will be playing in the next 6 months or so, unless we have quality friendlies, it won't really matter who our CB are. They will probably be rarely tested and it will be hard to make a call based on performances against much weaker teams.

Sadly, this probably apply to every position in our starting 11. You can't say player X is our new CB/FW/etc. because he did well against Dominica and USVI. Can you?

From the angle of that tweet’s replay, looked like he was t expecting the kind of bounce it took and then maybe he’s got this thing in the back of his head about not stretching his leg too high in case he does his hamstring in again? I mean he has to make a play on that, it’s going to be put in by who he is marking. So I sympathise with him, he probably should have attacked it off the bounce more than he did. The ball was kind of an awkward heigh

Edited by Brethers8
Didn’t need the quote!

Greg Vanney seemed sympathetic to Henry in his postgame comments.

“We gifted them the first goal with the hand ball and they gifted us the last goal with the own goal. It’s a tough play for Doneil, the ball has been put across the face of the goal, our forward is trying to work off his back shoulder, he’s trying not let the ball get by him. It’s a tough play, I mean that’s part of the game, when you put centre backs in tough situations and sometimes those things happen so obviously we’ll take it. We won’t look at it any differently but we’ll take it, it was at the dying seconds of the game and so we’re going to pick up a goal then we’ll use it when we go home.”

Doneil Henry is the first CB on my  Canada men's Soccer teamsheet right now and it's not even close. I'm willing to take the bad with the good. I don't know who is the second CB right now. Jakovic has played twice since the beginning of June. Vitoria isn't making the 18 in Poland. Cornelius is in the second division in Serbia. James is playing in the second division in Denmark. 

I mean, it's kind of weird, but I didn't think that I would have said that 6 months ago. 

And Ansem comparing Henry to PK Subban? Jakovic is slow and we've seen how we got burned against Jamaica. He does need someone who can cover him if you play him and right now Henry is the best we have. I don't think that the Henry own goal would change anything because nobody else is winning his spot because of his club play. 

Edited by Blackdude
added men'S

5 hours ago, RS said:

It’s a tough play for Doneil, the ball has been put across the face of the goal, our forward is trying to work off his back shoulder, he’s trying not let the ball get by him. It’s a tough play, I mean that’s part of the game, when you put centre backs in tough situations and sometimes those things happen so obviously we’ll take it. 

Several things had to go wrong for the whitecaps for that own goal to happen. 

1). TFC had to have possession of the ball. Meaning that the whitecaps players on the pitch didnt have possession.

2). The long ball from Bradley to Altitdore had to occur.  Meaning that Bradley was not challenged by anyone on that play to prevent the delivery or even rush the delivery.  The WC gave Bradley acres of space and time. 

3). Altidore won the ball in the air. Meaning that the player marking him lost the ball in the air. 

4) the keeper had to not be able to stop the ball. Or not be in position to stop the ball.

It was probably easier for the whitecaps to prevent the above four points than it was for Henry to clear the ball from that position to a safe area.

thats why its a team game. 

Edit.:  just watched again the replay.  I should put in bold point number 3.  That was a poor defensive effort by whomever that player was who was marking altidore.

Edited by Free kick

We are so weak at CB it’s bad

Jakovic  (old and slow),

Vitoria (Not playing in Poland)

Edgar (Injured for one year and has played 5 games this season), 

Straith Playing in 3rd Division of Germany 

and then there’s Oh Henry 

Edited by Thomas

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

When..if ever do we bring Attakora back in the conversation?  Steady in old MLS, NASL, USL, looks to have put his concussion issues behind him.  

Would need to up his game in CPL I would think

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Would need to up his game in CPL I would think

I dont get that at all.  He played the last 3 years in NASL, now doing well in USL, CPL wont be any better than the USL in year 1 or 2.  He is fit and match ready now, a mature presence with years of MLS/NASL experience.  Ansem you dont trust Henry, Jakovic is a marginal MLS player, as was Vittoria, and playing some of the youngsters is just downright scary.  Why wouldnt we be back to looking at guys like Attakora or Hainault??  Unless you think we should just turn the page on the older guys and move on.  Which might not be a bad strategy, but then your back to playing Henry or James and 1 of the youngsters (Cornelius, Kapor Sadiki etc).  

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I dont get that at all.  He played the last 3 years in NASL, now doing well in USL, CPL wont be any better than the USL in year 1 or 2.  He is fit and match ready now, a mature presence with years of MLS/NASL experience.  Ansem you dont trust Henry, Jakovic is a marginal MLS player, as was Vittoria, and playing some of the youngsters is just downright scary.  Why wouldnt we be back to looking at guys like Attakora or Hainault??  Unless you think we should just turn the page on the older guys and move on.  Which might not be a bad strategy, but then your back to playing Henry or James and 1 of the youngsters (Cornelius, Kapor Sadiki etc).  

I'd just go young and live and die with the next batch. They will scream up from time to time but they will get valuable experience. For me, Henry makes me nervous and I'd rather go with James and Cornelius and turn the page on the previous cycle. 

I have Henry PTSD, sorry. He does belong in the National team but he needs to stop making poor decisions defensively 

As for Attakora, he just needs to keep playing well and be solid. By upping his game in CPL its merely continuing what he's been doing in USL and improving in a new environment which will be CPL. Yes, improving otherwise he would have already been called up.

We can disagree on USL vs CPL but CPL should be better equip to attract internationals than USL.

Edited by Ansem

16 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'd just go young and live and die with the next batch. They will scream up from time to time but they will get valuable experience. For me, Henry makes me nervous and I'd rather go with James and Cornelius and turn the page on the previous cycle. 

I have Henry PTSD, sorry. He does belong in the National team but he needs to stop making poor decisions defensively 

As for Attakora, he just needs to keep playing well and be solid. By upping his game in CPL its merely continuing what he's been doing in USL and improving in a new environment which will be CPL. Yes, improving otherwise he would have already been called up.

We can disagree on USL vs CPL but CPL should be better equip to attract internationals than USL.

James makes his fair share of mistakes. More giveaways than rash tackles like we use to see with Henry, but those seem to be a thing of the past, exemplified by the outstanding  challenges he displayed last night.

Don't forget that James and Henry are the same age.

Also don't forget that James is a midfielder. 

If I could only invest in one, it's Doniel.