Doneil Henry

Coramoor

I am in the camp that has never been blown away by Henry - that is why I was surprised when the move to West Ham materialized.  But I definitely wish him all the best in Vancouver.  Fingers crossed that he can stay healthy and get back on track.  He has been around for so long it is easy to lose sight of his age.  And he clearly had lots of potential - clubs like West Ham don't sign guys for no reason.  

If he can move past the injuries, he could still have close to a decade of pro playing time ahead of him.  Let's hope things start to come together for him.

• 3 weeks later...

Really hope Doneil has a fantastic year and plays himself into being a mainstay on the CMNT backline.  His comments about Herdman were very respectful and appropriate, and if he truly feels that way and thinks his fellow players, do then Herdman will may live or die on his merits.  I was truly shocked when Oz was let go and am almost hoping there is some sane reason for this like he was caught embezzling funds or sleeping with Reid's wife. 

• 2 weeks later...

An interview done by @HarJournalist (she does really good work IMO):

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2016/HenryregainingfitnesslookingtostartforVanc.aspx

Q: When Henry is not to be reckoned with, where can Whitecaps FC fans expect to find him on the pitch?

A: "I am a central-defender, (pounds fist on the table), permanently!! but I will do the job if my team needs me."

On 2018-01-24 at 12:09 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

An interview done by @HarJournalist (she does really good work IMO):

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2016/HenryregainingfitnesslookingtostartforVanc.aspx

Q: When Henry is not to be reckoned with, where can Whitecaps FC fans expect to find him on the pitch?

A: "I am a central-defender, (pounds fist on the table), permanently!! but I will do the job if my team needs me."

That worries me as a caps fan as id imagine he'd be used to cover for Parker/Waston at CB and Nerwinski. With Nerwinski being much more likely to be dropped due to form. 

1 hour ago, fulham11 said:

That worries me as a caps fan as id imagine he'd be used to cover for Parker/Waston at CB and Nerwinski. With Nerwinski being much more likely to be dropped due to form. 

Why is that a worry? I quoted and bolded that because we have seen him play at right back with mixed results in the past few years. CB is good.

3 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Why is that a worry? I quoted and bolded that because we have seen him play at right back with mixed results in the past few years. CB is good.

Not at all worried about this. Waston is going to the World Cup and will miss significant time. Henry could be first in line to fill that gap. The Caps may also play more of a 3-man back and Henry would be a good fit for that. 

Keep in mind, too, that Waston will get suspended at least once next season, if only for accumulated yellows.  Doneil will get plenty of chances to prove himself. I could be wrong, but my guess is that the Caps will abandon their attempt to go with 3 at the back before too long. I am exited to see Doneil play. If he can stay healthy, I am confident he'll grow nicely with the Caps. Heaven knows we need some stronger options at CB for the MNT.

In his last season at TFC he was improving but he still had gaps in his game.  Since that time he really hasn't played a lot of football in the last while so he's a big question mark in my mind.  I think it would be a good opportunity to under promise and over deliver here and be a comeback player of the year candidate.

Lots of his deficiencies were lapses in concentration and dropping clangers. Something all too familiar with young inexperienced defenders.

Has he grown out of that with age who knows. Unfortunately he won't have grown out of it through learning on the pitch. 

Doubt we will see him at RB unless injury strikes. Thought he was mainly ok there for Canada but certainly hit and miss.  

• 2 weeks later...

Was interviewed on Vancouver radio again today and reiterated that he is a CB first and foremost and strongly dislikes playing RB (but will of course fill in if he has to). Also more or less said he is only using the Caps as a means of getting back into shape before taking another crack at Europe next year. 

He was shaky and clumsy at times but we are talking about pre-season and pre-season for a guy that hasn't played football in a year. I've always liked Henry and I am excited we signed him if we can keep him fit and I think he has mentally matured he will be a huge asset for VWC and the national team.

11 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Henry did well last night.

Keep in mind Waston is off to the World Cup so Henry will get his opportunities. I'm hoping he looks really strong because there as been some talk of Waston going to Europe at some point

Hopefully it doesn't take Waston going to the World Cup for him to get a shot.  Realistically he should be able to win a starting spot unless he has completely fallen off due to injuries.  

Edited by Keegan

1 hour ago, C2SKI said:

If he gets back to full fitness could he compete with Parker or Waston for a starting position?

I watch the Caps quite closely, and I must say that the current versions of Parker and Waston are a clear  step above where Henry was even at his peak. 

21 minutes ago, nolando said:

I watch the Caps quite closely, and I must say that the current versions of Parker and Waston are a clear  step above where Henry was even at his peak. 

I personally think Henry will give Parker a run for his money. Henry is bigger and more physical and better in the air. The number of crosses the Caps face each game gives Henry a chance. It will be a tight race though.

5 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I personally think Henry will give Parker a run for his money. Henry is bigger and more physical and better in the air. The number of crosses the Caps face each game gives Henry a chance. It will be a tight race though.

If Henry can reach Parker's level of play, we'll see a back three every week.

17 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

I'm cheering for Henry because he's Canadian but i think you'll have a hard time convincing the average Whitecaps fan that Henry is bigger and more physical than Tim Parker. I  the air uh maybe.. It's a kinda a push. Again, I think he's better on the ball but Parker is a big fan favorite and or d was solid last year.

I think Henry being here is a bit more of a long term play for the team as Parker and Waston will probably go to Europe eventually

Edited by SpursFlu