Doneil Henry

Coramoor

Henry has to show that he can avoid the big errors (i.e. diving in, resulting in getting skinned or committing penalty-inducing fouls).  And when he makes mistakes, they usually come in bunches, so showing the mental toughness needed to shake off bad moments and just get on with it will be a key area of his game.

If those areas of his game improve without the injuries compromising his athletic gifts, then he will be a key factor in the back line.

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Henry has to show that he can avoid the big errors (i.e. diving in, resulting in getting skinned or committing penalty-inducing fouls).  And when he makes mistakes, they usually come in bunches, so showing the mental toughness needed to shake off bad moments and just get on with it will be a key area of his game.

If those areas of his game improve without the injuries compromising his athletic gifts, then he will be a key factor in the back line.

I recall that Henry said the player he admires most is Sergio Ramos. Anyone who has followed Ramos especially when he was young and playing as a right back, will recall that he picked up many red cards for his aggressive play and challenges. Henry played in MLS when he was a teen and early 20s as a CB, which is the most difficult position to break in on any team/league.  I am not saying he is on the same path as Ramos, but West Ham did see enough potential to sign him on a decent term contract. If he can stay healthy and get significant minutes, he is going to impress a lot of fans in Vancouver.

13 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm cheering for Henry because he's Canadian but i think you'll have a hard time convincing the average Whitecaps fan that Henry is bigger and more physical than Tim Parker. I  the air uh maybe.. It's a kinda a push. Again, I think he's better on the ball but Parker is a big fan favorite and or d was solid last year.

I think Henry being here is a bit more of a long term play for the team as Parker and Waston will probably go to Europe eventually

I understand that Henry is looking at his time with VWFC as  short term.....to get healthy and play minutes before returning  to Europe.

21 hours ago, Kadenge said:

If he can stay healthy, improve his decision making, and get significant minutes, he is going to impress a lot of fans in Vancouver.

FYP. 

He's coming in in an under promise, over deliver situation.  He hasn't played much football in the last two seasons.  If he shows that he has the goods and is able to fulfill his promise, than that'll definitely be a big coup for the Caps.  Coming to a turf home surface with his history of leg injuries may be challenging, but we'll find out how that goes.

As for the West Ham situation, as much as I think the club liked his potential because of his athletic gifts, I am also very suspicious of any player dealings involving Sam Allardyce.  That is to say, the signing may have had a more nefarious motive behind it than people may be willing to admit or accept.

Edited by BearcatSA

6 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

FYP. 

He's coming in in a under promise, over deliver situation.  He hasn't played much football in the last two seasons.  If he shows that he has the goods nd as able to fulfill his promise, that that'll definitely be a big coup for the Caps.  Coming to a turf home surface with his history of leg injuries may be challenging, but we'll find out how that goes.

As for the West Ham situation, as much as I think the club liked his potential because of his athletic gifts, I am also very suspicious of any playerdealings involving Sam Allardyce.  That is to say, the signing may have had a more nefarious motive behind it than people may be willing to admit or accept.

Are you referring to the residency requirements in EPL? 

Yeah with big money involved everybody tries to keep some of it. Wouldn't surprise me at all. However he did have a lot of upside when they got him. 

Now I just hope his knees can stand the turf. If he hits another big injury, it's kinda hard to see him get back from that after loosing a couple of years already. 

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, saladroit said:

Let's hope this is just a minor strain.

Judging from the picture on the Caps Twitter feed, that UCLA practice pitch looked somewhat unforgiving.  Three guys going down with injuries you sometimes associate with harder fields might not be a coincidence.

5 minutes ago, Northvansteve said:

Was very difficult to watch and the stream only lasted about 25 minutes, but from what I could see Henry was looking good. He made a beautiful pass out from the back that sprang Reyna leading to a goal. 

And word on the street is Parker might be traded for Felipe. Most Caps fans aren't impressed but good news for Henry and cmnt 

Edited by SpursFlu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

Ottawa has been a hot mess. It worries me a bit that many champion Ottawa has being the best CPL club day one if they move to the league next year. They are so uncompetitive so far this season against other USL sides, so I hope that isn't going to be representative of the strength of our league as a whole.

Hey! we got a draw in our home opener last weekend.  There is nowhere to go but up!

5 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Ottawa has been a hot mess. It worries me a bit that many champion Ottawa has being the best CPL club day one if they move to the league next year. They are so uncompetitive so far this season against other USL sides, so I hope that isn't going to be representative of the strength of our league as a whole.

A long fall from when they were going toe-to-toe for the Soccer Bowl with the Cosmos. Man, is dos Santos a good coach. Julian de Guzman sure hasn't had a good run in North American club soccer.