Doneil Henry

Coramoor

23 minutes ago, saladroit said:

Signed with the Caps.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2017/12/22/whitecaps-fc-acquire-canadian-international-centre-back-doneil-henry?hootPostID=7a639d430e6f3378edb2fed226619521

So the VWFC CBs are Waston, Parker, Henry, Maund, and Edgar. I'm assuming one of those five isn't coming back.

He's certainly going to get his fair share of chances. Waston is going to miss a month for the World Cup and Robbo has hinted at playing 3 at the back more often. 

Very happy to see this come to fruition. Welcome back to MLS Doneil!

Missed a few years with injury, but in the grand scheme of things he's 24 years old, has played nearly 70 MLS games, has tasted the English Championship and Danish top flight, and has over 20 caps for Canada. To put that in perspective, he brings that experience and is the same age as Jackson-Hamel, who has under 10 caps for Canada and under 40 games played in MLS.

Most importantly, it is a sign he may finally be fit again, and with our lack of CB depth and looming league of nations, this couldn't come soon enough!

Edited by Obinna

Great news.  As long as he remains healthy and gets back playing consistent minutes he will be a key member of our back line in the future.  He will be hitting his prime during the next round of qualifying and he will be needed unless someone farther down the depth chart really takes a leap forward.  Also great that we will be able to watch another CMNT player on television regularly.  Best of luck to Doneil for the coming season!

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Would have preferred him coming back to TFC, but glad he'll be playing again somewhere and glad that Vancouver is getting another Canuck. Let's hope the turf doesn't cause him any health issues.

I'd rather have him at Vancouver than Toronto. He'll play more

Thrilled that Henry is suiting up for the Caps! Cannot wait to seem him play. What a powerful crew we have at CB; big strong lands, young, + fierce. I imagine Edgar is not coming back, which is too bad. I hope Henry can get back in form and continue his development. He can still get better, which is exciting to know.

I'm also happy with the signing. What we saw most recently was promising with the NT, and though Waston and Parker are a solid team, the former will have a WC to deal with. Parker has been amazing, and even more so considering we are horribly underpaying him. I am wondering if he'd like to make a move back to the States, to a higher profile team, as he must feel now is the time to improve the salary and get a look from the USMNT. 

But even if Parker stays we need a bit of competition for spots and, if Edgar can get healthy, we'll have it. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Where can I see his top highlights???... It seems like injuries have nailed his career far too often, particularly since leaving TFC and making the move to Europe... Bad timing, would've been nice had he found his groove in Europe, but coming back to MLS and to the Caps is also an ideal opportunity for him and to resurrect his career.. I have heard he's got a lot of potential and good qualities for being a top-quality CB as far as I am concerned... I hope he is listed in the game-day roster throughout the season and can make sub appearances on a regular basis... June could be the perfect timing for him to be a starter  during Watson's absence... What are his main injury problems btw?

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm also happy with the signing. What we saw most recently was promising with the NT, and though Waston and Parker are a solid team, the former will have a WC to deal with. Parker has been amazing, and even more so considering we are horribly underpaying him. I am wondering if he'd like to make a move back to the States, to a higher profile team, as he must feel now is the time to improve the salary and get a look from the USMNT. 

But even if Parker stays we need a bit of competition for spots and, if Edgar can get healthy, we'll have it. 

I'd imagine if he keeps his current form Parker moves to Europe next year. He's hugely hungry to be a USMNT player and needs to separate himself from the pack. Opens the door for Henry to start fulltime after a season to reacclimate to the game. 

7 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

I'd imagine if he keeps his current form Parker moves to Europe next year. He's hugely hungry to be a USMNT player and needs to separate himself from the pack. Opens the door for Henry to start fulltime after a season to reacclimate to the game. 

I don't think Parker has a clear path to Europe. I mean, if Waston doesn't, being a member of a successful WC team, why would Parker?

I do think that he is not rated in Vancouver by the rest of the USNT system, as we tend to be a team absorbing a lot of attacks, so he gets lots of work, but we also get scored on, as the opponents have tons of possession and chances. It is not the best place to evaluate a defender. Also: we do not play out effectively from the back. So the guy has stepped into pro soccer amazingly well, from NCAA to an MLS starter, there are only a handful of guys like that in the league really. But listen to the US chats and no one rates him as future USMNT, and that must irk him.

45 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't think Parker has a clear path to Europe. I mean, if Waston doesn't, being a member of a successful WC team, why would Parker?

Age. Neither Parker or Waston are good enough to step into a top European league, and the mid-tier European leagues are only really interested in foreign players who they think they might be able to sell for a profit in a few years. I think Parker is fully capable of getting time at a mid-tier club in the Netherlands or Belgium right now.

But it boils down to what the player wants. Waston is probably content with his club/national team situation. Parker has been pretty outspoken about his desire to become a national team regular for the US, and like you said it probably won't happen in Vancouver when the US has CBs starting in the EPL, Bundesliga, Championship, Liga MX and Eredivisie. Hell, Ike Opara put on a central defending masterclass in KC this season and can't get a call up.

6 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Parker has been pretty outspoken about his desire to become a national team regular for the US, and like you said it probably won't happen in Vancouver when the US has CBs starting in the EPL, Bundesliga, Championship, Liga MX and Eredivisie. Hell, Ike Opara put on a central defending masterclass in KC this season and can't get a call up.

I like Parker but I honestly don't see him emerging into the CB competitor pool for the USNT.  I see him having a good career in MLS.

I'll be honest I've never rated Henry and saw him many times when he was with TFC, I realize players make mistakes but it just seemed that Henry made too many of them and many resulted in goals, even  when I watched him with  the various youth and full national teams he had this mistake prone problem attached to his playing. However, here is his chance to prove me wrong and hopefully become the center back we all hope he can become with the  Vancouver Whitecaps and hopefully the national team.

Edited by 1996

51 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I'll be honest I've never rated Henry and saw him many times when he was with TFC, I realize players make mistakes but it just seemed that Henry made too many of them and many resulted in goals, even  when I watched him with  the various youth and full national teams he had this mistake prone problem attached to his playing. However, here is his chance to prove me wrong and hopefully become the center back we all hope he can become with the  Vancouver Whitecaps and hopefully the national team.

Wasn’t he only 20 when he was with TFC? I think the majority of young CBs make a lot of mistakes. Hopefully he is one of the ones who gets smarter with age...

2 hours ago, 1996 said:

There is an article, I believe on the whitecaps website, where henry admits to being rash in his youth. He feels his time in Europe has seen him improve in that area, so hopefully those mistakes are cut out now.

Everyone gushes about Parker, whether he has a path to europe etc.  But remember, Parker is actually a few months older than Henry and they both have 70 odd MLS games under their belt.  When Parker was is college, Henry was aleady in the MLS and Henry has already been down the path to high level european leagues, trained at WestHam, Blackburn and Horsens etc.  And if you plucked freshman Parker from STjohns and paired him with Andy Iro or Cann how reckless or shaky would he have looked??  Lets just see how Henry's body holds up and whether the 3 years in Europe has matured his game any.  It wouldnt surprise me at all if he can stay healthy he more than gives Parker all he can handle.  

23 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Everyone gushes about Parker, whether he has a path to europe etc.  But remember, Parker is actually a few months older than Henry and they both have 70 odd MLS games under their belt.  When Parker was is college, Henry was aleady in the MLS and Henry has already been down the path to high level european leagues, trained at WestHam, Blackburn and Horsens etc.  And if you plucked freshman Parker from STjohns and paired him with Andy Iro or Cann how reckless or shaky would he have looked??  Lets just see how Henry's body holds up and whether the 3 years in Europe has matured his game any.  It wouldnt surprise me at all if he can stay healthy he more than gives Parker all he can handle.  

That is exactly what I was thinking! Seriously, if Henry can stay healthy, I think he'll push for Parker's starting spot. 

4 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

That is exactly what I was thinking! Seriously, if Henry can stay healthy, I think he'll push for Parker's starting spot. 

I think people are underestimating Parker's skillset and overestimating Henry's potential impact and ability to stay healthy.  I wish it weren't true but that's how I honestly see it.