Doneil Henry

Coramoor

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

Didic doesn’t even belong in that group anymore. Having a bad season in USL and clearly isn’t part of SKC’s plans anymore.

Really? He made the bench a few weeks back and started for them in the USOC. 

Okello/Romeo are promising center backs as well?  I remember one of them looking dominant at Toulon. 

Edited by Keegan

8 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Okello/Romeo are promising center backs as well?  I remember one of them looking dominant at Toulon. 

Okello is a midfielder and Romeo was not there. You thinking of Dunn?

Anyway I dont think Meilleur-Giguere is getting enough love. Has been really solid for Ottawa this year and is still only 20. 

Okello was in the midfield at Toulon. Didic is stuck at SKC because those ahead of him are excellent. Should move IMO. 

Unless Ferreira gets healthy and makes the switch to us and Tomori realizes / believes that with the success and youth of England in Russia that his odds of getting senior calls to England are dim and comes back to us, our top CBs for the next 4 years are James, Henry, Cornelius and Dunn. Henry is obviously pending health and Dunn is still a few years away from being ready for senior caps in “big games” but I expect those last 4 guys to be the main CB rotation for Nations League and Gold Cup 2019. Depending on Dunn’s progress and Hermans philosophy about youth players we might see a bit more of Jakovic +/ Edgar +/- Straith in the interim

32 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Sporting KC is resting both of their starting CBs right now and didn't even call Didic up from SPR. They started an Argentinian who just joined the team and a kid they drafted out of UDenver at the back. Both younger than Didic.

Okello and Romeo are still really raw,. Both have MLS potential, but are years away. Even then, both Okello and Romeo are probably midfielders long-term. I've never been sold on Dunn-Johnson, doesn't read and react well enough to handle MLS and I don't think that will change. 

Edited by harrycoyster

34 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

Sporting KC is resting both of their starting CBs right now and didn't even call Didic up from SPR. They started an Argentinian who just joined the team and a kid they drafted out of UDenver at the back. Both younger than Didic.

Okello and Romeo are still really raw,. Both have MLS potential, but are years away. Even then, both Okello and Romeo are probably midfielders long-term. I've never been sold on Dunn-Johnson, doesn't read and react well enough to handle MLS and I don't think that will change. 

The guy (or should I say kid) is 18... Maybe we wait and let him develop before writing him off?

Henry should make our best 18 based on his current form. I rate him ahead of James and I think he'd partner well with Jakovic or Vitoria - preferably Dejan, although I think Vitoria still has a place in our best side, for now.

After those 4 players, I really struggle to come up with a solid option. I have never thought Didic was up to snuff btw, I just don't see a senior cap in his future, even with it being our weakest position.

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Henry should make our best 18 based on his current form. I rate him ahead of James and I think he'd partner well with Jakovic or Vitoria - preferably Dejan, although I think Vitoria still has a place in our best side, for now.

After those 4 players, I really struggle to come up with a solid option. I have never thought Didic was up to snuff btw, I just don't see a senior cap in his future, even with it being our weakest position.

I agree regarding Vitória... not young but he should be involved for at least the next 1-2 years.

Only other guy that hasn’t been mentioned is Hainault but my sense is that his days of MNT are over.

The other option is to play someone out of position there ... didn’t MB play a few games at CB for the US?

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

?

1 hour ago, Addona said:

I agree regarding Vitória... not young but he should be involved for at least the next 1-2 years.

Only other guy that hasn’t been mentioned is Hainault but my sense is that his days of MNT are over.

The other option is to play someone out of position there ... didn’t MB play a few games at CB for the US?

I know Maurice Edu did for the USA and Bradley did for TFC.  If worst came to worst I wouldn’t mind putting Hutchinson there but past him I don’t think anyone is a good enough footballer to be better than our options at CB, weak as they may be.

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

We do have several very promising young CBs. Cornelius, Sadiki, Dunn-Johnson, Meilleur-Giguère and a few others. I think we'll be OK.

7 hours ago, Kadenge said:

There could be another MAK type player out there ?

This is where I do hold some hope. We've had a few decent players seemingly come out of nowhere and make contributions, add depth and even push their way into the starting lineup. Kaye played for a Canadian university program. Jackson-Hamel was as low on Montreal's depth chart as you could go and there were rumours he was about to be released. Arfield wasn't known as a Canadian. The CPL will uncover more and unleash the potential of some players now buried on a depth chart somewhere.

Without a doubt Henry has impressed with the Whitecaps. There are rumours Waston might be sold on to Europe. I think with even a bit more upside to go, I would feel confident with Doneil as a replacement. I think CB is a weak point for Canada and I would have him in our starting 11

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Without a doubt Henry has impressed with the Whitecaps. There are rumours Waston might be sold on to Europe. I think with even a bit more upside to go, I would feel confident with Doneil as a replacement. I think CB is a weak point for Canada and I would have him in our starting 11

Waston going to Europe is inevitable but as far as Henry replacing Waston I can't see that happening. However, as far as him playing CB for Canada I mean realistically who does he really have to compete against for that position?

He would probably have to compete with whoever they bring in. Aha and Henry have been good but I'm sure they would bring an experienced player at cb. But it's a pretty decent and common approach in the MLS solid and cheaper domestic players on the backend and spent big on offensive players. Worked for teams the last 2 seasons

Are we really saying we can't expect Doneil Henry to reach the dizzying heights of Brad Marshall & Drew Moor? If so we as Canadian supporters should just toss in the towel 

Edited by SpursFlu

12 hours ago, Keegan said:

I know Maurice Edu did for the USA and Bradley did for TFC.  If worst came to worst I wouldn’t mind putting Hutchinson there but past him I don’t think anyone is a good enough footballer to be better than our options at CB, weak as they may be.

Yes, I was mostly thinking of Hutch .... 

12 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

We do have several very promising young CBs. Cornelius, Sadiki, Dunn-Johnson, Meilleur-Giguère and a few others. I think we'll be OK.

At the same time, I don't think we can assume each of those four players will go on to have solid pro careers. None of them may develop into an international quality CB. We'll have to see.

And I personally can't get excited about any of those players, not until they show more. 

Well CB is Canada's weakness right now as far as our national team set up goes. I mean if we had an international quality centre back then I would definitely say Canada would be a threat within CONCACAF but we don't even have that. I mean we are more or less covered at the LB and RB positions not to mention our midfield looks good but then our strikers up front the only ones that are remotely of any quality are Larin and Cavallini but then how about after that? Hardly any depth at any position either. Our goalkeeping position anyway at least for the foreseeable future is covered but I am sure Herdman he is probably looking well scouting for talent who could cover not only the CB but striker positions.

16 hours ago, Northvansteve said:

This is where I do hold some hope. We've had a few decent players seemingly come out of nowhere and make contributions, add depth and even push their way into the starting lineup. Kaye played for a Canadian university program. Jackson-Hamel was as low on Montreal's depth chart as you could go and there were rumours he was about to be released. Arfield wasn't known as a Canadian. The CPL will uncover more and unleash the potential of some players now buried on a depth chart somewhere.

Sure, there can be more surprises. But that's exactly what they are, exceptions. 

Response to El Diego up above...we do have another possible short-term option in defence...Hutchinson. Unfortunately. this would also mean no Hutch in midfield but if he is starting to slow down somewhat this may be a way to extend his national team career while still benefiting from his leadership and skill on the ball.