Doneil Henry

Coramoor

49 minutes ago, romurra said:

Response to El Diego up above...we do have another possible short-term option in defence...Hutchinson. Unfortunately. this would also mean no Hutch in midfield but if he is starting to slow down somewhat this may be a way to extend his national team career while still benefiting from his leadership and skill on the ball.

We also have a logjam in midfield so it can help us put another quality player on the pitch.  To me it seems most voyageurs have written off Hutch as a member of our MNT - anytime I see a midfield trio it’s 3 of Arfield, Osorio, Piette and MAK but we also have Johnson, Chapman, Teibert and Fraser vying for spots amongst others.  

16 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

He would probably have to compete with whoever they bring in. Aha and Henry have been good but I'm sure they would bring an experienced player at cb. But it's a pretty decent and common approach in the MLS solid and cheaper domestic players on the backend and spent big on offensive players. Worked for teams the last 2 seasons

Are we really saying we can't expect Doneil Henry to reach the dizzying heights of Brad Marshall & Drew Moor? If so we as Canadian supporters should just toss in the towel 

Brad Marshall lol

I have been thinking about Hutch transitioning into a CB recently. I initially thought it'd be a no brainer, but I am not so sure now....

Can he play there if needed? Yes, of course.

Would it free up the log jam in midfield and shore up our CB situation? Surely

Is Hutchinson going to want to extend his NT career in a CB role? I am not sure.

I mean, I am not saying it couldn't or wouldn't happen, but we are talking about a player who has given everything to the program and for a while it wasn't clear if he'd be back. It still isn't clear (at least to us) if he'll be back. He can walk away at any time, let's not forget.

I'd feel differently if Hutch gave some definitive statement on his future, like declaring he's going to play up until the inaugural league of nations campaign is over, but he's rather touch-and-go about his NT future, which I don't blame him for, of course.

Hutchinson committing for another year or two is an ask in itself, now ask him to commit AND to play in a position that presumably is not his favourite? I would say we have a 50/50 shot of that happening right now - at best.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I have been thinking about Hutch transitioning into a CB recently. I initially thought it'd be a no brainer, but I am not so sure now....

Is Hutchinson going to want to extend his NT career in a CB role? I am not sure.

I mean, I am not saying it couldn't or wouldn't happen, but we are talking about a player who has given everything to the program and for a while it wasn't clear if he'd be back. It still isn't clear (at least to us) if he'll be back. He can walk away at any time, let's not forget.

I'd feel differently if Hutch gave some definitive statement on his future, like declaring he's going to play up until the inaugural league of nations campaign is over, but he's rather touch-and-go about his NT future, which I don't blame him for, of course.

Hutchinson committing for another year or two is an ask in itself, now ask him to commit AND to play in a position that presumably is not his favourite? I would say we have a 50/50 shot of that happening right now - at best.

Different players clearly, but after seeing Bradley play CB for TFC, I wouldn't want to see Hutch do the same

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yeah, it's tough ... I agree, by no means anything even close to a likely outcome.  But possible ... 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Yeah but the man is 35 years old so who knows how much longer he realistically has within the national team because age is a factor nowadays especially within national teams especially when it comes to the midfield or the defense. I mean can he play CB? I am sure he can but then within the midfield who covers his position? 

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps a little lost within the (rightful) Davies hype last night was Doneil Henry playing another very good game.  He covered a lot of ground, sprayed some nice passes out of the backfield, made some crunching tackles and looked at times like a dominant physical specimen in his own right despite playing next to the imposing figure of Waston.  

Great news for our backline if he can continue to stay healthy.  He needs to build a comfort level and a stretch of positive momentum.  We should all be praying to the soccer gods every night for the continued health and wellbeing of the assortment of glass, butterfly wings, and teenage hopes and dreams out of which his body is apparently constructed.

Glad to see a comeback from Doneil Henry, he’s stilll young (25) and Europe didn’t do him well but he’s proved with the whitecaps that he can be a regular, His career is now on track and can take opportunities at Home 

No secret that injuries and no playing time put him back but if he continues like this who knows maybe he can be our starting CB for CMNT (Jakovic is 33) 

Given our limited pool of centre backs, a healthy Doniel Henry could be huge for us in the future.  This was a guy who, at one point, was on a trajectory to play at a higher level than most of our past defenders.  I am sure his development was set back a fair bit by his injuries, but he has tons of potential playing time ahead of him.  If he stays fit, he could be peaking during Qatar in 2022.  Heck, there are even scenarios where he could be a veteran defender in 2026 (though at 33 that is quite a bit less likely).  

Regardless, it will be great if DH keeps getting back into his groove.

Wow. Can’t hope but feel for the guy for that horrendous mistake in the final minutes of the CDN championship leg 1 at BC Place.

Although, On the other hand; I remember him doing similar errors in the past to be honest

both for TFC & CMNT: Own Goals, Red cards and fouls that leads to penalty kicks

anyone else remember that?

2 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Wow. Can’t hope but feel for the guy for that horrendous mistake in the final minutes of the CDN championship leg 1 at BC Place.

Although, On the other hand; I remember him doing similar errors in the past to be honest

both for TFC & CMNT: Own Goals, Red cards and fouls that leads to penalty kicks

anyone else remember that?

I do, that's why I dont think he's our top CB like others think he is. Herdman saw that too, not many managers have the nerves to deal with that kind of risk.

Henry is too risky

3 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Now I'm getting flashback of how risky he was at that position...

He's getting the "PK Subban" treatment by team Canada I think. On the bench and will stay there has the coach's heart can't handle the risk

I don't know where you're pulling this information from...Considering Canada hasn't played since March and Henry wasn't avaliable through injury. Pretty bold claim when you consider Herdman hasn't even had a shot to call him up yet. Doneil will be a starter for this team if the starting 11 is based on any sort of merit. 

5 minutes ago, BradMack said:

I don't know where you're pulling this information from...Considering Canada hasn't played since March and Henry wasn't avaliable through injury.

"in the future"

Pretty bold claim when you consider Herdman hasn't even had a shot to call him up yet. 

This didn't help his case, I mean... why the F??? 

Doneil will be a starter for this team if the starting 11 is based on any sort of merit. 

I doubt it

Edited by Ansem

5 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Poor guy. I feel like TFC didn't even deserve the draw after that awful 2nd half, I'll take it but I feel bad for Doneil.

Still probably our best CB right now.

Jakovic doesn't give me heart attacks, Henry would give me panic attacks during Nations league games. I'd rather give minutes to Cornelius to be honest

12 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Now I'm getting flashback of how risky he was at that position...

He's getting the "PK Subban" treatment by team Canada I think. On the bench and will stay there as the coach's heart can't handle the risk

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

"in the future"

This didn't help his case

I doubt it

Are you pretending you said "In the future" in your post? Because you didn't... I don't really care if tonights game didn't help his case if we are talking about your claim that he is stuck on the bench and given the Subban treatment by Herdman. Which is a pretty strange claim to make considering Herdman has only been in charge for one game and Doneil was unavaliable for that game. Perhaps you mis-spoke, but c'mon, atleast admit it man.

I'm not really into arguing and I like your positive attitude posts on here all the time, so lets get back on topic...

If you doubt that Henry deserves to be in the 11 for Canada, who are your starting CBs? An Aging Jako and Vitoria who imo got exposed vs speedy CONCACAF forwards in the Jamaica quarter final? Perhaps an aging David Edgar who has played what like 2 USL games this year? I don't think I would throw Cornelius, Didic or Sadiki to the wolves just yet as they all currently play at a low level or just don't play for their clubs, and don't have any senior international experience either so we basically haven't seen them play against men. James is the only option you could make a case for being above Henry on the depth chart id say, and even he plays as a midfielder on a D2 side in Norway. 

I think we're all jumping to a lot of conclusions here... Doneils played what, 13 games this year? He's made 2 really obvious mistakes in those 13 games (tonights own goal and a handball earlier this season)... I'll take that risk when the rest of the time he's playing extremely well and is often (outside of Davies) the best Whitecap on the field. 

Kendall Waston gives away PKs, has scored own goals in important games and is constantly carded and sent off pretty often... But that is part of being a CB, you don't get away with your mistakes very often. You take Waston because even though he makes those mistakes, te rest of the time he's a great defender. I think Doneil's been better than Waston this year defensively on the whole, and if you don't believe me, his Whoscored rating also says that. 

2 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

In the most important minute of the most important game of his year he cracks under pressure. One mistake like that can cost us an entire 4 year qualifying cycle. I'm not ready to quit on DH but this does not help me see him as a starter for the CMNT.

I'd say any minute in the 90' is the most important minute of a game considering goals aren't worth more or less depending on the time of the game... I'd also say the 2nd leg is probably a more important game. These words do make it seem like you're making a more serious point though. But in reality I just don't see the stats that back up DH being super mistake prone this year. We're all conditioned to think that because we watched him on a bad TFC side as a 20 year old so I understand where people are coming from... But i'd urge people to look at the stats and the actual facts. He's played a lot more, and a lot better than any of our other CB's this year. I'll take the chance he might score an own goal once every 13 games over us getting scorched by Concacaf forwards because Jako and Vitoria are slower than Pele is now, as a 77 year old. 

In a perfect world I'd have Sam Umtiti and Raphael Varane as our starting CB's, but the reality is our options are limited...

Again I'll ask, if not Doneil, then who?