Ayo Akinola

masster

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Why are folks ready to close down the Yankov thread when this one, on a player who is a UNMNT member 95%, is still dragging on?

Hey, let's just plain ignore the US programme and how it works and pretend he really wants to play for us. Because an undocumented journalist named Gareth Wheeler told us to. 

He's gone guys.

Is Kristian Jack an "undocumented journalist" as well?

Great story and good for him. However, if he ends up playing for the US this will annoy me even more. The US wasn't where he grew up and gave him and his family the opportunities in life that Canada did. He left the US at a very young age and grew up in Canada, went to school in Canada, played all his soccer in Canada, and played on Canadiam club teams. Now, given an opportunity to represent a country he left he will turn his back on the country that provided for him. Sure he got national soccer opportunities in the US, but Canada gave him and his family a chance at life. How about giving something back to the country that took you in?

27 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Great story and good for him. However, if he ends up playing for the US this will annoy me even more. The US wasn't where he grew up and gave him and his family the opportunities in life that Canada did. He left the US at a very young age and grew up in Canada, went to school in Canada, played all his soccer in Canada, and played on Canadiam club teams. Now, given an opportunity to represent a country he left he will turn his back on the country that provided for him. Sure he got national soccer opportunities in the US, but Canada gave him and his family a chance at life. How about giving something back to the country that took you in?

If he had been homeless in the USA and then got back on his feet in Canada I would understand your point more, but I’m not sure how having the honour of going homeless in Canada should make him more thankful for this country. I would definitely need to know more of his story before making that assumption. From the clip we don’t know what caused them to go homeless or what got them back on their feet.

3 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I want him to play for Canada as much as the next person here... but because he didn't get lucky in the birth lottery of being born in Canada now he "owes" something, whereas someone who was born here (i.e. got lucky in the birth lottery) and was afforded the same opportunities does not? Okay...?

Edited by LeoH037

12 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I want him to play for Canada as much as the next person here... but because he didn't get lucky in the birth lottery of being born in Canada now he "owes" something, whereas someone who was born here (i.e. got lucky in the birth lottery) and was afforded the same opportunities does not? Okay...?

I do not often agree with you, but I am with you on this. I do not think he owes us anything just because he grew up here (and was homeless here for a moment in time). Of course it would be nice if he chose us, but there are very good reasons for him to choose the United States. He is already part of their program. 

Looks like they became homeless a couple of times when rent was behind a month or so. Landlord locked doors - which today isn't allowed but was it allowed 10-15 years ago in Ontario? No relatives to stay with, so lived in car & shelter.

Ayo was on provinical team. Couple of his club teammates got selected for u15 Canada camps. So Brampton youth coach steered Ayo to the US - nice to look out for Ayo but sounds like a story from the past century when youth coaches were a stumbling block to the national team program.

Edited by red card

• 2 weeks later...

What a beast.  His main problem is knocking defenders over and getting called for fouls.  He took a jump ball cross and turned it into a goal.  Aftter the preseason I was sure he would get buried on the bench for another year..how happy i am to be totally wrong.  Seems like every time he comes on he makes the big play.  The only thing that would make it sweeter is if he was capped for Canada.  Heres hoping...

It’s hard to talk about the CMNT because I don’t know when they will ever play again without having a vaccine ...is the way it looks right now.

So for Akinola as a TFC fan - he is a facking beast in the exact mold of Altidore, he literally has made him “expendable” IMO. He keeps this progress up, he won’t be with TFC for long, and whenever that day is....I hope he will be representing Canada in 202? .

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

So... you I take it you no longer rate him below Bair? 

Great call out, but you are correct. He’s having a better season and showing a lot more promise in a TFC team that is battling for the supporters shield. My opinion about the quality of team still stands. The caps have zero identity, and two forwards who make over a million and have been average. I can only wonder how he would look in another team that has an identity/defined roles. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, VinceA said:

Makes you wonder if Akinola will be one of those called. The US would be dumb not to.

I almost feel like I would encourage him to, but with a Akindele mindset and God forbid a Teal one. 
As I also feel that he's aware of where he thinks he might fit in with each system. And by fit in, I mean...where's he's ranked/rated. 

With Canada...in the number 9 position he's likely number 3 or 4. With the states, he could be a lot further down....being backup to Jozy, doesn't help him either. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

With Canada...in the number 9 position he's likely number 3 or 4. With the states, he could be a lot further down....being backup to Jozy, doesn't help him either. 

What? I see him as a starter based on current form.  Alongside David in the role of the false nine.  
I am going to ask the question that i fear to see the answer.   But who do you have ahead of Akinola on the pecking order?

Edited by Free kick