Ayo Akinola

masster

10 hours ago, El Diego said:

Farrell wasn't even complaining. While I understand why one may think that may be foul, I don't think there are any good arguments for it to be a foul.

More to the point, Farrell is one of the strongest players in the league. To be able to (legally :P) shuck him like that is very impressive.

If I'm refereeing that match, I don't call it. It's a shoulder on shoulder challenge, and Akinola won out. And I'm pretty loathe to say nice things about TFC. 

I wouldn't be surprised if most refs would call the foul, though. A risk-averse official might consider the outcry from the non-call would outweigh the outcry from calling it, particularly if they gave a quick, hard whistle well before the attacker had the opportunity to take a shot.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If I'm refereeing that match, I don't call it. It's a shoulder on shoulder challenge, and Akinola won out. And I'm pretty loathe to say nice things about TFC. 

I wouldn't be surprised if most refs would call the foul, though. A risk-averse official might consider the outcry from the non-call would outweigh the outcry from calling it, particularly if they gave a quick, hard whistle well before the attacker had the opportunity to take a shot.

It wouldn't shock me to see a ref call it because of the situation -- it leads to a breakaway. Refs (in all sports) love to take away really good chances when there's a ticky tack call to be made.

5 hours ago, El Diego said:

It wouldn't shock me to see a ref call it because of the situation -- it leads to a breakaway. Refs (in all sports) love to take away really good chances when there's a ticky tack call to be made.

It's not about loving it. A referee's worst case scenario is always making a wrong call that ends of changing the result of the game. Most will err on the side that keeps them out of the headlines. If he doesn't make that call, there's a very good chance that a goal results. If he's wrong, he gets caned for it. If he makes the call, he's only taken away a CHANCE for a goal. Even if he gets it wrong, the fallout for him, personally, will be less. Self-preservation, plain and simple.

RN, on the USMNT, Akinola has a strong  pathway if he wants it. If Chris Richards can handle a CB spot, then striker is our new soft spot.

• Gyasi is #1 right now. I'm pro-Gyasi. I wouldn't want a starting lineup of Gyasis, but one of them who produces is fine. He'll be 31 in 2022.  
  • Sargent .... he's going to be a guy who can hang around top flight league, contribute, but he'll need to step up to be legitimately good.  
  • Nice to see Aron Johansson scoring again, even in Sweden, but he's always a countdown to a serious injury. 
  • Ebobisse seems January camp material. 
  • Jozy could still factor but has seen his best days. 
  • Weah hasn't aught fire yet and is behind David, who has the huge investment. 

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

It's not about loving it. A referee's worst case scenario is always making a wrong call that ends of changing the result of the game. Most will err on the side that keeps them out of the headlines. If he doesn't make that call, there's a very good chance that a goal results. If he's wrong, he gets caned for it. If he makes the call, he's only taken away a CHANCE for a goal. Even if he gets it wrong, the fallout for him, personally, will be less. Self-preservation, plain and simple.

Well put, I totally agree. To me this is the same logic of playing it safe out of the back. If you simply clear it, no one remembers if the throw in leads to a goal later (not to mention wondering if keeping possession leads to a goal for your team from that move). But if you try to play out the back and make a bad pass, it is obvious that is what led to the goal. Salient events dominate decision making. Analytics are changing this, would be interesting to see if there are any such analytics for refereeing.

5 hours ago, One American said:

RN, on the USMNT, Akinola has a strong  pathway if he wants it. If Chris Richards can handle a CB spot, then striker is our new soft spot.

• Gyasi is #1 right now. I'm pro-Gyasi. I wouldn't want a starting lineup of Gyasis, but one of them who produces is fine. He'll be 31 in 2022.  
  • Sargent .... he's going to be a guy who can hang around top flight league, contribute, but he'll need to step up to be legitimately good.  
  • Nice to see Aron Johansson scoring again, even in Sweden, but he's always a countdown to a serious injury. 
  • Ebobisse seems January camp material. 
  • Jozy could still factor but has seen his best days. 
  • Weah hasn't aught fire yet and is behind David, who has the huge investment. 

I'd argue he has just as good a shot with Canada... right now Cavallini is not exactly lighting it up in the same league Akinola plays in (I realize Cavallini plays in an awful team, yet still he could do better), Larin is always either trying to get playing time with Besiktas, or looking for a loan, and David does not impede the appearance of another striker, if anything, so far David is showing with Lille that he IS NOT a #9, the guy is a play maker, period. in 2026, Cavallini will be in his 30s and Larin will beat at the end of his prime, Ayo could be pushing them both by then (hell, argueably he is pushing them NOW)... Ultimately it will come to Ayo deciding which country and program he personally identifies with the most, and I'm convinced right now it can literarily go either way.

On 10/9/2020 at 3:40 PM, LeoH037 said:

anything, so far David is showing with Lille that he IS NOT a #9, the guy is a play maker, period. in 2026, 

Just like Davies is more of winger for Canada, David is more of a 9 for Canada. Already tied for 8th in top scorers list. 

Plus, as usual for the internet, use a small sample size of Lille matches to predict something to infinity.

Edited by red card

27 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Every time I open this thread I sort of expect crushing disappointment.  

Shouldn't be too long. I expect the states will call a camp before we do and call him up. Likely then we will have a period of people comparing the situation to Tesho until he us captied. The a period of hope under the new fifa rules while they keep him from his 4th cap.

49 minutes ago, red card said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FootyTalksLive/status/1314646032047841280

'Does he feel that he wants to put his body on the line for a country? To take a country to another level. To take it somewhere a country has never been before.' 
@coachherdman

Listening to that whole clip and reading between the lines, it sounds like money is an issue.  The US pays 10 to 15K per game if I remember correctly.  Obviously the CSA isn't matching that

3 hours ago, toontownman said:

Shouldn't be too long. I expect the states will call a camp before we do and call him up. Likely then we will have a period of people comparing the situation to Tesho until he us captied. The a period of hope under the new fifa rules while they keep him from his 4th cap.

I can see another Yankov situation here, we're not playing games so they call him up for the sake of cap tying him. Even with the new rules it's basically a lost cause for us at that point.

53 minutes ago, Bdog said:

I can see another Yankov situation here, we're not playing games so they call him up for the sake of cap tying him. Even with the new rules it's basically a lost cause for us at that point.

On the upside they probably can't cap tie him before we have the opportunity to. They might be able to try and imbed him into their squad though.

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

On the upside they probably can't cap tie him before we have the opportunity to. They might be able to try and imbed him into their squad though.

How does he get any more imbedded??  Marry Berhalters daughter??  Seriously, he and Altidore prob already have plans to be roomies at the next NA camp.  That Yankov business has made me skeptical....

SKU246385-4.jpg

20 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

How does he get any more imbedded??  Marry Berhalters daughter??  Seriously, he and Altidore prob already have plans to be roomies at the next NA camp.  That Yankov business has made me skeptical....

SKU246385-4.jpg

Nonsense. No reason to believe Jozy is talking Ayo into joining the USMNT... if anything he is just as likely to talk him into playing for Canada.

43 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

SKU246385-4.jpg

While Altidore is a close mentor to him.. he’s seemingly really close with Jayden Nelson and Noble Okello. Just what I’ve picked up on by following him on social media. His friends outside of soccer are also from the GTA. Could go both ways 

14 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Listening to that whole clip and reading between the lines, it sounds like money is an issue.  The US pays 10 to 15K per game if I remember correctly.  Obviously the CSA isn't matching that

Since these are public entities (USSF and CSA), are the figures listed somewhere for both countries?