Ayo Akinola

masster

4 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Cavallini, Larin, and/or David will not always be available (and Cavallini''s form has been underwhelming this year)

Depending on whether or not he maintains a really solid and productive form this year, I don’t see why Ayo couldn’t be in the mix for a spot ahead of Larin or Cav next summer.  

17 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don’t think Larin and Cav are currently heads and shoulders above Akinola by any means and I could easily see Akinola overtaking one, or both of them, in the next few years. 

I think Akinola has 7 goals in 10 games which is a great ratio but Larin scored 17 at the same age. He’s also more well rounded now. Cavallini isn’t having the best season but I’m sure he’d be scoring way more on a team that isn’t Vancouver. Not long ago he was doing great in Liga Mx. 

Both are still clear starters over Akinola but otherwise I agree, if he can keep doing what he’s doing consistently he’d be in the mix. 

Look at AJH when he broke through in 2017.  9 goals in MLS and got into a bunch of senior side games scoring a couple times as well that same year.  If Akinola doesnt fade away next year and IF...IF he is CDN he would have to be in the mix eh? Vanney cant bury him on the bench with Jozy's season going into the toilet, so he'll get his chances.  

If I have a match tomorrow I’m starting Akinola over Cav (who seems to miss a golden opportunity every match) and Larin won’t be playing much until he gets a loan so that’s debatable too.

Ofc you could say the same thing for his USMNT prospects. Jozy is probably done. So he’s competing with Zardes and Sargent - he could overtake both of them.

Edited by Floortom

11 hours ago, PopePouri said:

That's a bit unfair to the guy. When he was on form at 23, he looked like a real prospect. That was a year after he scored a bunch in USL.

I'm sorry, if you're still 23+ and haven't been able to break through to a top division, then international soccer is not in the cards. Anything other is an exception. Ayo is contributing and getting playing time on one of the best teams in MLS, and scoring more than Canada's "main" striker in the same league. If Canada played tomorrow and he committed, I would not hesitate to start him over Cavallini.

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

I'm sorry, if you're still 23+ and haven't been able to break through to a top division, then international soccer is not in the cards. Anything other is an exception. Ayo is contributing and getting playing time on one of the best teams in MLS, and scoring more than Canada's "main" striker in the same league. If Canada played tomorrow and he committed, I would not hesitate to start him over Cavallini.

Why are we so reactive?

Whitecaps midfield and tactics aren't the same as Puebla where Cavallini was producing at a much higher level consistently.

Since we'll most likely run 2 teams (WCQ & Gold Cup), Akinola showing what he's got in the Gold Cup squad is appropriate. International experience matters and he has none at that level.

We don't get a second chance during the WCQ, going with the guys you know can deliver at that level with a proven track record is the right thing to do.

11 hours ago, Ansem said:

Why are we so reactive?

Whitecaps midfield and tactics aren't the same as Puebla where Cavallini was producing at a much higher level consistently.

Since we'll most likely run 2 teams (WCQ & Gold Cup), Akinola showing what he's got in the Gold Cup squad is appropriate. International experience matters and he has none at that level.

We don't get a second chance during the WCQ, going with the guys you know can deliver at that level with a proven track record is the right thing to do.

I don’t disagree, but keep in mind you are projecting out a year.  I think most folks are just saying that at this point it isn’t possible to say that Akinola may not displace either Larin or Cav.  Those guys have both had good years and bad years and are absolutely solid options for us.  But in 10 months time, Ayo might be killing it for TFC while Cav and Larin might be consistently turning in underwhelming performances. If that is the case, it would be pretty narrow minded to play Cav based only on what he did at Puebla or what Larin did a year or two ago.  

Like you said - we don’t get a second chance at qualifying. Precisely because of that, I would rather see a coach willing to go with a young guy who is on a great run of form over veterans who are not.   I am not saying that is necessarily going to happen, but the idea that we wouldn’t give Ayo a look under those circumstances seems wrongheaded.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

22 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

So MLS isn’t a top division? Presumably CPL isn’t either.

Here is a list of 23+ year olds that were called into our last camp that according to you aren’t worthy of international soccer.

Crepeau, Carducci, Didic, K. Miller, Morgan, Laryea, Piette, Teibert, Chapman, Osorio, Shome, Ricketts, Akindele.

I know that wasn’t an A team camp, but at the very least it seems crazy to leave out Laryea, Osorio, Crepeau, and to a lesser extent Akindele, and Miller.

23 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Actually watching the guy play and analyzing his game does wonders. I haven't seen him lately but when he first got going a few years back, his touch, his pace, strength....he had all the attributes of a guy who could make it big in MLS. I guess he still could but again, I don't know too much about him these days. 

Leo, you gotta work on your posting brah. So far, lately all I have seen is "United States is a big country with a lot of people," and "23 is too old for international soccer if you're not playing in a top division". 

Obviously I'm paraphrasing with the above, but you need depth in what you say.

Do better dawg. 

Edited by Macksam

On 10/5/2020 at 8:36 PM, Kent said:

So MLS isn’t a top division? Presumably CPL isn’t either.

Here is a list of 23+ year olds that were called into our last camp that according to you aren’t worthy of international soccer.

Crepeau, Carducci, Didic, K. Miller, Morgan, Laryea, Piette, Teibert, Chapman, Osorio, Shome, Ricketts, Akindele.

I know that wasn’t an A team camp, but at the very least it seems crazy to leave out Laryea, Osorio, Crepeau, and to a lesser extent Akindele, and Miller.

Not at all what I meant..  simply referring to the fact that it took him that long to break into MLS, and once he was finally in MLS he hasn't exactly done much.. to this day still not having any semblance of an undisputed starting role with the Impact. If he can't nail it down, then international soccer is not in the cards. In other words, someone above insisted on comparing him to Akinola as a means to downplay Akinola, and the comparison was quite honestly ludicrous.

Edited by LeoH037

On 10/5/2020 at 9:01 PM, Macksam said:

Actually watching the guy play and analyzing his game does wonders. I haven't seen him lately but when he first got going a few years back, his touch, his pace, strength....he had all the attributes of a guy who could make it big in MLS. I guess he still could but again, I don't know too much about him these days. 

Leo, you gotta work on your posting brah. So far, lately all I have seen is "United States is a big country with a lot of people," and "23 is too old for international soccer if you're not playing in a top division". 

Obviously I'm paraphrasing with the above, but you need depth in what you say.

Do better dawg. 

hmm, or perhaps someone needs to work a bit on their reading comprehension?

56 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Not at all what I meant..  simply referring to the fact that it took him that long to break into MLS, and once he was finally in MLS he hasn't exactly done much.. to this day still not having any semblance of an undisputed starting role with the Impact. If he can't nail it down, then international soccer is not in the cards. In other words, someone above insisted on comparing him to Akinola as a means to downplay Akinola, and the comparison was quite honestly ludicrous.

But if I recall the comments you were responding to were about people comparing the hype around Akinola now vs the hype around Jackson-Hamel a few years back.

For what it is worth.

G+A per 90 for Jackson-Hamel in 2017: 1.03

G+A per 90 for Akinola in 2020 so far: 0.92

Not exactly a ridiculous comparison. Maybe Akinola could be a saviour if he commits to Canada, or maybe he will be another Jackson-Hamel caliber player. We get to wait and see.

31 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I think @LeoH037 dislikes AJH as much as @Ansem dislikes MLS!

I dislike MLS discriminating/double standards towards Canada - big difference. Also, my gauging of MLS doen't mean I dislike it - just means I see it for what it is.

I have Akinola on the Gold Cup squad playing as many minutes as warranted. The reasons I favor Cavallini and Larin are the track-record of them scoring at higher level against much tougher defenders than MLS. It's not accurate to just say "Akinola is scoring more than Larin" when Cyle plays in a much harder league against better defenders.

As for Cavallini, does he really under-performed if he has his buddy Osorio and TFC guys giving him service? Does Akinola have the same production rate if he was in Vancouver?

Those are questions people are too quick to overlook. I like Akinola and I think we might have something there, Gold Cup squad is where he belongs in my opinion

Edited by Ansem

10 hours ago, Kent said:

But if I recall the comments you were responding to were about people comparing the hype around Akinola now vs the hype around Jackson-Hamel a few years back.

For what it is worth.

Not exactly a ridiculous comparison. Maybe Akinola could be a saviour if he commits to Canada, or maybe he will be another Jackson-Hamel caliber player. We get to wait and see.

I know it's been mentioned already, AJH was 4 years older in 2017 than Akinola is in 2020. 

Maybe Akinola turns out to be no better than AJH, but he has a long time to improve himself.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

I dislike MLS discriminating/double standards towards Canada - big difference. Also, my gauging of MLS doen't mean I dislike it - just means I see it for what it is.

I have Akinola on the Gold Cup squad playing as many minutes as warranted. The reasons I favor Cavallini and Larin are the track-record of them scoring at higher level against much tougher defenders than MLS. It's not accurate to just say "Akinola is scoring more than Larin" when Cyle plays in a much harder league against better defenders.

As for Cavallini, does he really under-performed if he has his buddy Osorio and TFC guys giving him service? Does Akinola have the same production rate if he was in Vancouver?

Those are questions people are too quick to overlook. I like Akinola and I think we might have something there, Gold Cup squad is where he belongs in my opinion

I am just poking fun. Your arguments are legit!

3 hours ago, Ansem said:

This is needed perspective. However, I start thinking that for a lot of the Whitecaps & Impact players. Specifically Bair.

The way Akinola plays with TFC is literally on the last the defender, and just patiently waits as things develop around him - when his opportunity to score has come, he's taken it. 

14 hours ago, Kent said:

For what it is worth.

The post was comparing what a 20 year old Akinola was doing to what a 23/24 y/o Hamel was. Yes. Ludicrous