Ayo Akinola

masster

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

US Soccer officials and the national team coaching staff.....their system is solid, grounded and with all the main players actively engaged. They have their fingers on all the buttons.

What?   

I get your general point about our dysfunction.  But to prop up the US as some sort of impressive model is funny.   

Remember that despite their massive size and wealth, they too missed the 2018 World Cup.  And the public back-biting and dysfunction that has gone on with their appointments of their last few managers shows a lot of disarray.  Again, their massive player-pool and $$$ puts them way ahead of us, but not because the are super competent.     

3 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

What?   

I get your general point about our dysfunction.  But to prop up the US as some sort of impressive model is funny.   

Remember that despite their massive size and wealth, they too missed the 2018 World Cup.  And the public back-biting and dysfunction that has gone on with their appointments of their last few managers shows a lot of disarray.  Again, their massive player-pool and $$$ puts them way ahead of us, but not because the are super competent.     

Yes, but European juggernauts also miss some major tournaments from time to time.  It just happens sometimes.  Doesn't mean there are problems in the program.  The US still play every single chance they get, unlike you know who..... 

Ayo Akinola's big decision!

I recall an interview featuring Alex Bunbury shortly after Teal chose to pursue the USMNT. Teal told Alex, with reference to playing for Canada, "Dad, I just don't feel it." Hence, if emotion is the basis of a decision, there is nothing that will dissuade a player. Teal made his choice. Unhappily for him, it seems to have cost him a long international career. Yet, if Akinola is of a similar mindset,  then the battle is all but lost.

In truth, Akinola playing for the USMNT yields a risk similar to that taken by Teal Bunbury. In terms of positional competition, logically, Canada is the clear choice for Akinola. He would very likely be a fixture in the CMNT for years; however, the situation in the US team is completely and utterly different. To win a spot with any chance of longevity, Akinola must impress in the present, and continue to impress in the face of immense competition.

Akinola must be consistently better than, for example:

Sargent, Zardes, Wood, Soto, Arriola, Alvarez, Dike, Mihailovic, Pulisic, Weah, and Reyna. I am certain that I missed a couple of other competitors.

Football is an emotional sport, I get that. In this case, and assuming that he wants a long international career, I hope that Akinola will stop and consider that Canada can offer him just that while the USA cannot.

Yeah, but none of those USMNT forwards is insurmountable. Pulisic isn't going to play there, nor Reyna. It would be a change for Mihailovic (who isn't that good) and Weah (who could be a striker, but more likely a midfielder. Wood is collecting paychecks right now, but that could change. RN, it's Zardes and Sargent and possibly a healthy Jozy. A lot of people are excited about Dike. We'll see. The other risers are the kid in France and Seb Soto. Folarin Balogun might already be the best USMNT eligible forward.  But Arsenal is still deciding what to do with him.

My point is that any single guy could get really good quickly and stake his claim. BUt it's a big scramble for spots 2 to 3.  

I wouldn't worry that much about Akinola. It would be surprising, with the whole career arc in mind, if he didn't at least give it a go at the USMNT. 

Edited by One American

4 minutes ago, One American said:

Yeah, but none of those USMNT forwards is insurmountable. Pulisic isn't going to play there, nor Reyna. It would be a change for Mihailovic (who isn't that good) and Weah (who could be a striker, but more likely a midfielder. Wood is collecting paychecks right now, but that could change. RN, it's Zardes and Sargent and possibly a healthy Jozy. A lot of people are excited about Dike. We'll see. The other risers are the kid in France and Seb Soto. Folarin Balogun might already be the best USMNT eligible forward.  But Arsenal is still deciding what to do with him.

My point is that any single guy could get really good quickly and stake his claim. BUt it's a big scramble for spots 2 to 3.  

I wouldn't worry that much about Akinola. It would be surprising, with the whole career arc in mind, if he didn't at least give it a go at the USMNT. 

Thanks, OA. You know better than do I about actual USMNT player positions. What do you mean by us Canadians not being worried about Akinola and the USMNT? Do you have further insight? Thanks.

1 minute ago, Stoppage Time said:

Thanks, OA. You know better than do I about actual USMNT player positions. What do you mean by us Canadians not being worried about Akinola and the USMNT? Do you have further insight? Thanks.

My insights are limited to a fan who follows the USMNT. 

Forward is a weird position for the USMNT right now. At attacking midfield we have good question marks (Konrad or Aaronson or Lletget or Ledezma?) At RCB we have bad question marks. At forward, it's just not clear. My pecking order would be: 

Zardes, Sargent, a healthy, fit Jozy. 

After that, after the November friendlies:

Gioacchini and Soto.

They each scored a brace in the Nov. friendly against Panama. It turned out to be a low bar, but they both cleared it well. 

There's a set of old-timers who could re-emerge: 

Aron Johansson is healthy for once and playing really well in the Swedish league. He wants an MLS move which could help him get back in the picture. Bobby Wood has been sitting and collecting a check for about 2 years. But he's not that old (27 or 28) and if he started scoring goals again at a decent level would probably re-enter the picture, because he's scored some big goals for us. A third blast from the past possibility is Julian Green, who has been outstanding this year in BL2, but at AM. 

Then there's the young MLS forward contingent, which seems to be ranked: 

Dike, Akinola, Ebobisse, Ferreira, Pepi. 

The guy who totally upset the apple cart is Folarin Balogun, who is one of Arsenal's best prospects. He came on in 82' against Molde in the CL a few weeks ago and scored in the 83'. I would be surprised if he committed this cycle, given that England is not super-strong at FW after Harry Kane. 

On the one hand, the situation seems fluid. OTOH, I have a hard time imagining Zardes and Sargent being overtaken. If one half of the USMNT fan base, the beautiful gamers and Eurosnobs favoring Sargent, Zardes would be #100, but Gregg doesn't seem to think so. 

I would say there is one spot open, and that Akinola is probably #7 atm, but it isn't a large gap. But a quick pathway to #3, for him or others, is available. One thing in Akinola's favor is that we really don't have a 

Herdman needs to just give this guy the ultimatum, either he wants to play for us or he doesn't, I personally think he's already made his decision, next guy up! We are seeing some great young players develop in our country who want to wear the Maple Leaf, we need to move on and let him chase his American dream!

2 minutes ago, One American said:

He'll know his status with the USMNT within the next six or seven months. No need to make ultimatums or rush it. 

Heck, there's a chance he'll know by Tuesday night. 

So we should sit around and wait to see how it works out for his preferred choice and welcome him with open arms if it doesn't work out for him, not for me, I don't think that is good for our program, it makes us look desperate and second rate which we are not!

3 minutes ago, gator said:

So we should sit around and wait to see how it works out for his preferred choice and welcome him with open arms if it doesn't work out for him, not for me, I don't think that is good for our program, it makes us look desperate and second rate which we are not!

Yeah. 

I get that with certain players in certain longlasting situations, an ultimatum might be called for. But the current USMNT camp has Dike, Soto and Ebobisse in it. Probably by Tuesday , he'll know where he stands among both current and future USMNT strikers.  And no ultimatum is going to make a difference. 

2 minutes ago, One American said:

Just to concisely set minds at ease, I think he'll end up with Canada. 

I would like to see him play for us if that's what he wants to do not because he is down the pecking order in the US, that's not the type of player I want to go in to key matches in Central America with!

1 minute ago, gator said:

I would like to see him play for us if that's what he wants to do not because he is down the pecking order in the US, that's not the type of player I want to go in to key matches in Central America with!

In all fairness, thats how we got Arfield...he was way down the pecking order and never got a chance with Scotland.  He has played his guts out for Canada, and I think we are all happy he eventually chose to play for us.  Plus I am sure he's gotten something positive out of it too.  

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

In all fairness, thats how we got Arfield...he was way down the pecking order and never got a chance with Scotland.  He has played his guts out for Canada, and I think we are all happy he eventually chose to play for us.  Plus I am sure he's gotten something positive out of it too.  

But Arfield has lived his entire life in Great-Britain, while Ayo has absolutely no link to the US, other than being born there to immigrant parents. If he chooses them just because their program was less incompetent than ours in IDing him  its a farce. Frankly as a TFC fan, I'd want him sold.

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

That's true although I think the situations are a little different, Arfield was a proven commodity who was rejected by the country he was born and raised in and where he played his club football, Akinola has been courted by us for some time, plays his club football here and spent most of his life living here!

4 minutes ago, sebdeserio said:

But Arfield has lived his entire life in Great-Britain, while Ayo has absolutely no link to the US, other than being born there to immigrant parents. If he chooses them just because their program was less incompetent than ours in IDing him  its a farce. Frankly as a TFC fan, I'd want him sold.

No link to the US, other than the 50 times he has played for their youth teams???  All the camps, coaching, contacts etc etc??  All he has known is the US program.....

1 minute ago, Bison44 said:

No link to the US, other than the 50 times he has played for their youth teams???  All the camps, coaching, contacts etc etc??  All he has known is the US program.....

I think the pic you posted in the link above says it all, he is a US team player whose family lives here and he happens to earn his living here, we need to move on! Fretting over 20 year olds is not good for your health, maybe it's because I'm old but let him carry on the path he has chosen! There will be more TFC fans such as @sebdeserio (assuming he is a TFC fan) who won't be happy about his decision, remember the furor when an uncomitted Junior Hoilett trained with them? 

20 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The only reason he has that "link" is that he happened to be born there and live less than a year and his youth coach pushed him to the US because for whatever reason he wasn't getting picked by us for youth teams. He lives in Canada, plays for a Canadian team, his family isn't American and the last time he lived in the US was before he was 1. As Canada fans we all know international football is sadly very career orientated but if he picks the US he isn't the type of person I'd want representing my club and country anyways.

Edited by sebdeserio

3 hours ago, One American said:

The CanMNT will lose a bunch of tested veterans next cycle. I don't think things are so good that you can afford to be choosy. 

The vets we will lose for the 2026 cycle are Hutchinson, Vitoria, Borjan and Arfield.

Junior Hoilett at 36 years old would probably be "on the bubble", but Osorio (34), Piette (32), Kaye (32), Henry (33), James (33), Teibert (34), Akindele (34), Crepeau (31), Laryea (31), Larin (31) and Cavallini (34) would all theoretically be in play.

That is a pretty decent contingent of "tested veterans" for the 2026 cycle.

Edited by Obinna

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The vets we will lose for the 2026 cycle are Hutchinson, Vitoria, Borjan and Arfield.

Junior Hoilett at 36 years old would probably be "on the bubble", but Osorio (34), Piette (32), Kaye (32), Henry (33), James (33), Teibert (34), Akindele (34), Crepeau (31), Laryea (31), Larin (31) and Cavallini (34) would all theoretically be in play.

Jeez dude, way to make me feel old!  Looking at those numbers felt like a punch in the gut!

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Of this list, I think most will be over the hill by the time 2026 is here (assuming we don't need to qualify).  I would only really have Larin, Laryea, Kaye, Piette and possibly James and Henry as they are CBs.  Hoilett will be too old.  He may be too old for 2022.  Osorio will be passed it so hopefully we don't need to rely on him then (not all players can do a Hutch). If we are relying on Teibert or Akindele at that age, we are in trouble as frankly they hopefully wont be on the 2022 side.  Cavallini possibly but again, I hope we have better options then than having him be one at 34.

There is a chance with our quality of young players stepping up Akinola looks back and wishes he played for us and he is an afterthought for us Canadian football fans, time will tell! These guys with other options will play internationally where they think the best situation is for their career and I suppose you can't blame them, he will anger some of the TFC fanbase by playing for the US!

50 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Of this list, I think most will be over the hill by the time 2026 is here (assuming we don't need to qualify).  I would only really have Larin, Laryea, Kaye, Piette and possibly James and Henry as they are CBs.  Hoilett will be too old.  He may be too old for 2022.  Osorio will be passed it so hopefully we don't need to rely on him then (not all players can do a Hutch). If we are relying on Teibert or Akindele at that age, we are in trouble as frankly they hopefully wont be on the 2022 side.  Cavallini possibly but again, I hope we have better options then than having him be one at 34.

The thing is, we don’t know how these guys will age, or what their form will be, that’s why I said “in theory”. Some of them may be overtaken, like Teibert and Akindele. Both are already on the outside looking in, but we’ll see obviously.

Osorio is someone I can imagine being around at the age of 34. He hasn’t had any major injuries and he hasn’t played a ton of football for his age. Furthermore, consider his fitness, slender build and style of play. All that may give him a good chance of being effective come 2026.

Cavallini I am less optimistic about. Big frame and very combative. Seeing a similar player like Jozy decline makes me worry for Lucas. At 31 Altidore already looks well past it, but he’s also played a ton of football and Cavallini hasn’t, nor has he had as many injuries, so it’s very much TBD in my view.

Hoilett I agree has a very slim chance for 2026. The miles rack up when you play multiple campaigns in the English Championship. He is already losing his pace, but his technique, brain and class are still there. Maybe he extends his career by evolving into more of a CAM, kind of like Giovinco at Al Hilal, or maybe he is retired at 36. We just don’t know yet.

I bet he makes it through 2022 though.

As for 2026, time will tell.

Edited by Obinna