Ayo Akinola

masster

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

The thing is, we don’t know how these guys will age, or what their form will be, that’s why I said “in theory”. Some of them may be overtaken, like Teibert and Akindele. Both are already on the outside looking in, but we’ll see obviously.

Osorio is someone I can imagine being around at the age of 34. He hasn’t had any major injuries and he hasn’t played a ton of football for his age. Furthermore, consider his fitness, slender build and style of play. All that may give him a good chance of being effective come 2026.

Cavallini I am less optimistic about. Big frame and very combative. Seeing a similar player like Jozy decline makes me worry for Lucas. At 31 Altidore already looks well past it, but he’s also played a ton of football and Cavallini hasn’t, nor has he had as many injuries, so it’s very much TBD in my view.

Hoilett I agree has a very slim chance for 2026. The miles rack up when you play multiple campaigns in the English Championship. He is already losing his pace, but his technique, brain and class are still there. Maybe he extends his career by evolving into more of a CAM, kind of like Giovinco at Al Hilal, or maybe he is retired at 36. We just don’t know yet.

I bet he makes it through 2022 though.

As for 2026, time will tell.

I agree that Osorio has a much better shot than the two of them.  I am just hoping that come 2026, we will have better CMs than Osorio was in his prime no matter at 34 (which may be unrealistic).

Hoilett will likely be there for 2022 if we make it but with the depth we are generating on the wing, I just don't think its a slam dunk with the likes of Davies, David (who can play the wing), Buchanan, Nelson, Marshall-Rutty, Tabla, Corbeanu, and even Habibullah and Aniel-Assis.  Alot can happen with these young guys in a couple of years and wing is the one place where it looks possible that we will have another Davies or David emerge.

15 hours ago, One American said:

The CanMNT will lose a bunch of tested veterans next cycle. I don't think things are so good that you can afford to be choosy. 

Even if that were true (losing veterans) there is something called "principals" that I believe in. But that's just me, not everyone will agree with that. Yes we can be choosy!

Edited by MtlMario

While Ayo has played in the US youth setup, my understanding is that he has never dismissed Canada.  He obviously would have some affinity for this country considering he grew up here and still lives here.  If he chooses to play for us, I will cheer him on like crazy. He is a good young striker who has options in front of him.  I will wait until he either explicitly ties himself to the US or blatantly respects us before being critical.  To date, he hasn’t done anything I object to.  

8 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Even if that were true (losing veterans) there is something called "principals" that I believe in. But that's just me, not everyone will agree with that. Yes we can be choosy!

It would be stupid of us to turn down Akinola just because he didn’t choose us by March. Should we have turned down Arfield, Vitoria, and Hoilett?

If Akinola is good enough and interested, we should take him, regardless of how long it takes for him to accept.

Looking forward to when this thread can close.  He has enjoyed the benefits of living in Canada (reference theTSN show/interview ) as no doubt the narrative would not be the same if he lived a long time in the US based on the circumstances shown on TV and with all that living in Canada implies.....but goes with the US.  His prerogative of course, that said , this journey has been a long one and I will support all that choose red/white vs red/white/blue. 
We have won our share J David , Tesho etc that were in the same boat 

16 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

Looking forward to when this thread can close.  He has enjoyed the benefits of living in Canada (reference theTSN show/interview ) as no doubt the narrative would not be the same if he lived a long time in the US based on the circumstances shown on TV and with all that living in Canada implies.....but goes with the US.  His prerogative of course, that said , this journey has been a long one and I will support all that choose red/white vs red/white/blue. 
We have won our share J David , Tesho etc that were in the same boat 

It will slow down after the next round of qualifiers ;)

He is just potential still and at best a decent squad addition to either program so if it works and he chooses us great. If not we will produce more that want to play for Canada. 

1 hour ago, One American said:

Akinola scores! 5-0 27' 

If anyone's wondering about CONCACAF rankings ...... this is only a few players off of the ES A team. 

Is this a case of El Salvador looking terrible or the USA just looking great? I always enjoy when Central American teams get pumped :)

4 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

i wont lose much sleep if he does choose us,if i were TFC i would sell him now he is kinda injury prone,his value is high right now,TFC  have a few young guys coming up perruzza,rowe,and priso s brother,but they wont.

His value may never be higher to a US based MLS team!

4 hours ago, VinceA said:

I've said it before but it def feels like CA teams have regressed this cycle and Caribbean teams are on the up.

If I’m not mistaken, only Jamaica has played games. And they were already a top side.

The CA teams that have been playing have been local sides(imagine us using a CPL and USL team)...maybe we should wait to see how we do in Panama (fingers crossed) before we can say that.