Ayo Akinola

masster

I would like to have him for depth in our program, for the reasons @CanadaFan123 I hate the idea of him going to the US but if that's what he wants to do, see ya later! He may turn out to be a good option for them, who knows, I think he has been over hyped due to his goals in the tournament, I will add 2 or 3 of his goals could have been called back for various infractions, mostly pushing off! He did finish some chances really well, so did Jordan Hamilton at one point!

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Akinola playing for the USA just makes such a mockery of international football. It's hard to even take seriously.

Literally raised in Canada, played soccer in Canada, went to school in Canada, his family had no issue taking handouts from the Canadian government, signed his first pro deal in Canada, continues to live in Canada... then it comes time to choose a national team and let's play for the USA. With character like that - good riddance. 

FWIW I would be eligible for the USA too. But never in a million years would a true Canadian do that. The happiest guy right now should be Teal Bunbury ... when you compare Teal to Ayo he pales in comparison. This is by far the biggest joke defection ever. Worse than Hargreaves or De Guzman imho.

Not sure how this is worse than those other cases. He was born in the USA, it’s not like just his grandpa was born there or something 

Akinola playing for the USA just makes such a mockery of international football. It's hard to even take seriously.

Literally raised in Canada, played soccer in Canada, went to school in Canada, his family had no issue taking handouts from the Canadian government, signed his first pro deal in Canada, continues to live in Canada... then it comes time to choose a national team and let's play for the USA. With character like that - good riddance. 

FWIW I would be eligible for the USA too. But never in a million years would a true Canadian do that. The happiest guy right now should be Teal Bunbury ... when you compare Teal to Ayo he pales in comparison. This is by far the biggest joke defection ever. Worse than Hargreaves or De Guzman imho.

Not sure how this is worse than those other cases. He was born in the USA, it’s not like just his grandpa was born there or something 

I dont know how old you are but try and put it in perspective.  BigAssovic would have been our starting keeper for probably 10 years.  We would be talking about him being in the alltime best 11 for canada instead of Forrest.  H-grave and Degrabman were top flight players in the best european leagues. So for AKinola to be worse, he would have to be playing in Series A, or La liga etc, not just half a good MLS season.  And I wont get into the ins and outs of the 3 seperate tales of woe  with those 3 guys, but we all know them and they are all worse than Akinolas.  As far as I can tell, Akinola has never said he wants to rep canada, and has done nothing but wear the stars and stripes since he started playing.  I think we fans have inferred way too much into his story.  Way too much wishful thinking from us fanatics.  

27 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I dont know how old you are but try and put it in perspective.  BigAssovic would have been our starting keeper for probably 10 years.  We would be talking about him being in the alltime best 11 for canada instead of Forrest.  H-grave and Degrabman were top flight players in the best european leagues. So for AKinola to be worse, he would have to be playing in Series A, or La liga etc, not just half a good MLS season.  And I wont get into the ins and outs of the 3 seperate tales of woe  with those 3 guys, but we all know them and they are all worse than Akinolas.  As far as I can tell, Akinola has never said he wants to rep canada, and has done nothing but wear the stars and stripes since he started playing.  I think we fans have inferred way too much into his story.  Way too much wishful thinking from us fanatics.  

I'm not speaking about him being the worst in terms of the level of player we're getting. I'm saying that this is the worst defection in terms of how egregious it is.  

I don't get how Altidore and Bradley are supposed to be positives for the US. you'd think the amount of abuse and hate they've gotten from their own fans compared to how they're (mostly) loved by TFC fans they wouldn't be in a hurry to push him to the states, especially if they won't be playing with him as they're reaching the end of their national careers.

Akinolas brother didnt say he was super interested in playing for canada.  He didnt show up on CDN tv then switch to holland 3 days later.  He didnt play youth ball for us, sit on the bench for us, say he didnt want to switch and then show up at a Bosnian camp a month later.

Akinola is a kid  WE WANTED to play for us, but never did and never said he wanted too.  Its not even in the same realm as the other ones.  IF...if he plays for the USA, thats too bad but I wont curse him and refuse to say his name 20 years later.  Hell I might even cheer for him if he takes over as the starter for TFC next year.  

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This is amongst the shittest takes I've come across on this board.

I'm not speaking about him being the worst in terms of the level of player we're getting. I'm saying that this is the worst defection in terms of how egregious it is.  

I'm sure your just speaking in the heat of the moment but this is in no way the most egregious. This kid was born in the USA and only went to their program after not making the Canadian ID camp. We're all disappointed but come on.

40 minutes ago, johnyb said:

I'm sure your just speaking in the heat of the moment but this is in no way the most egregious. This kid was born in the USA and only went to their program after not making the Canadian ID camp. We're all disappointed but come on.

Born in the USA sure but lived there for what 26.98562 days?😁 Don't make it sound that he has a real big connection to that country. Shit I was born here and have family there and probably have more connection than him and I would never choose the US over Canada if I had a choice. Anyways in my opinion (like I mentioned before) if we have to convince him to play for us I do not want him. As JH said he wants players who are proud to wear the Maple Leaf. I do not want them to play for us just because another country did not call them.  And I know some of you will say what about players that play for us in the same situation, I say this is a Canadian supporter site.            PS after all this watch him choose us after all.😁

Edited by MtlMario

34 minutes ago, johnyb said:

That's your opinion but we've never had a guy playing professionally in Canada who has defected. Hargreaves had the same story, except he never played in Canada.

JDG2 and Begovic are definitely comparable but the fact he's played his entire career in Canada just reeks. It's crazy. 

Geesh, you are getting deeper and deeper here.  Playing in canada??  With an american coach and an orginization that pushed him down the american pathway.  I repeat.......has he ever played for us???  Has he always pulled on the red shite and blue???  Why would you be surprised or resentful if he continues that way??  

When people show you who they are, believe them the first time. ~Maya Angelou

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Geesh, you are getting deeper and deeper here.  Playing in canada??  With an american coach and an orginization that pushed him down the american pathway.  I repeat.......has he ever played for us???  Has he always pulled on the red shite and blue???  Why would you be surprised or resentful if he continues that way??  

When people show you who they are, believe them the first time. ~Maya Angelou

there are several examples of players that played youth soccer for other nations and then committed to us at the senior level....most recently Eustaquio and dare I say Corbeanu (he's filed his 1 time switch yes???  ) and then there was Wheeler...

In any event we continue to twist the knife deeper  with each post. Lets focus on the players that  wear the red & white with pride. Signing off on this thread...

We can go back and forth on him and his loyalty to Canada; and I understand emotions run high on this subject as we all want the best players playing for us.  However, if he is taking an opportunity to be in a US senior camp as he has been playing youth for them, I am somewhat ok with that as it doesn't commit him.  Yes,  maybe he is testing the waters a bit but my hope is that his connection to Canada and the fact that we have a strong developing side will swing him in our direction and he will commit to us in 2021.  I dont think the fact we have Davies and David are enough in itself (and we know the US has a golden generation that has more depth) but he certainly wouldn't be playing in the wilderness anymore if he commits to us and he can give back to a country that helped him and his family out.  Anyway, we will see in the next 6 months or so if not sooner.

The main reason, IMO,  why he should commit to Canada is because its more likely he will be a significant piece on a young CMNT. Also, if he is part of the group to gets Canada back to a world cup, that's something of real meaning that he can carry with him the rest of his life. Ayo is good, really good, and is arguably ahead of everyone in his age group for his respective position in the USA set up (keyword arguably), but definitely so in the Canadian set up. Very unlikely that he spends his entire career in MLS. Won't be surprised if TFC drop all their DPs this off season in order to go younger, and Ayo could find himself being the first choice striker next season. Give him one full season to do his thing and suitors will be lining up. Losing him would be a major blow, because aside from Cavallini/Larin, Canada doesn't have a big CF like Ayo in the 19/20 year old age group. If Ayo fulfills his potential, he would be reaching his prime in 2026, along with Davies, David, etc... 

Some of you should read the US soccer press on the guy over this season. They don't even question he's theirs and there is buzz, pressure and moves to keep it that way. 

I already posted months ago here the thread should be closed, because I read and listen to the US press. 

It's not even that clear he'll pan out in any significant way, for them or even TFC, so why bore us with it more? 

Just some space to think. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Well the Hoilett page was what...150pages long before he committed to us.  We never wait for someone to pan out before we talk about them.  And since when is the US fanboy press the be all and end all to journalism??  Although I agree, why wouldnt they think he is theres??  

It is not fanboy press, this is the error. It is direct interviews with US Soccer officials and the national team coaching staff. And his absolutely consistent path through their system without so much as a hiccup. It is as far from pie in the sky (a lovely turn of phrase coined by labour singer Joe Hill) as you might imagine. Ours is trite hype and illusion, with our goofy Herdman not insisting on playing matches and just coasting along smugly in his civil servant style; theirs is solid, grounded and with all the main players actively engaged. They have their fingers on all the buttons. We are just flailing idiotically. 

Close the thread.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It is not fanboy press, this is the error. It is direct interviews with US Soccer officials and the national team coaching staff. And his absolutely consistent path through their system without so much as a hiccup. It is as far from pie in the sky (a lovely turn of phrase coined by labour singer Joe Hill) as you might imagine. Ours is trite hype and illusion, with our goofy Herdman not insisting on playing matches and just coasting along smugly in his civil servant style; theirs is solid, grounded and with all the main players actively engaged. They have their fingers on all the buttons. We are just flailing idiotically. 

Close the thread.

It certainly seems likely that he’ll end up with the USA, but that doesn’t mean your logic isn’t flawed. There have been countless players that have played for one nation their entire youth then played for another nation as a full international. I’m sure the coaches of the nation they played for originally thought they’d play for them as senior national team players as well.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I already posted months ago here the thread should be closed, because I read and listen to the US press. 

We don't lock threads until a player becomes 100% ineligible; you know that! ;)

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It's not even that clear he'll pan out in any significant way, for them or even TFC, so why bore us with it more? 

This thread had exactly that tone for many months last year. When I bumped it in Dec 2019, nobody had posted about him in 8 months. I still think my post from last year is not too inaccurate; people are way too optimistic about him. I was surprised to read that Nigeria had their eye on him ( well, Berhalter claims they do  "Ayo Akinola, Canada is interested in, so is Nigeria as well."  https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2020/12/q-and-a-gregg-berhalter-discusses-december-camp-roster )