Scott Arfield

21 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Has Arfield never heard of Skype / Facetime?  No excuses. 

This is worse than when Rob Friend left a Gold Cup camp to get "married".

WTF.. expecting the birth of a child is a huge deal that no parent should ever want to miss. Its ludicrous to compare the 2 situations and label Arfield's as being worst

Edited by LeoH037

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Continues to play as a CAM for Rangers...

He's not really a traditional no.10, but if it's good enough for Rangers, is it good enough for Canada?

He’s definitely in our best 11 if that’s what you’re asking. I see him playing in the middle of the pitch for us as well, given our options on the wing.

25 minutes ago, C2SKI said:

He’s definitely in our best 11 if that’s what you’re asking. I see him playing in the middle of the pitch for us as well, given our options on the wing.

I was more so wondering if we could play him in an advanced central position, similar to where he plays at Rangers. For me, he is definitely in our best 11.

Perhaps something like this:

Hoilett-------Cavallini-------Davies

-------------------Arfield---------------------

-----------Piette---Hutchinson-------

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

For me, he is definitely in our best 11.

Why is this even a debate? Arfield is critical to our success. He and Osorio are very powerful in the middle of the field. With them, we have the ability to win the ball, create chances from the middle of the field and play with aggressiveness. You could make the case that's he our best player right now.

On 12/30/2018 at 2:44 PM, Obinna said:

I was more so wondering if we could play him in an advanced central position, similar to where he plays at Rangers. For me, he is definitely in our best 11.

Perhaps something like this:

Hoilett-------Cavallini-------Davies

-------------------Arfield---------------------

-----------Piette---Hutchinson-------

Take out Piette and insert Osorio in there, gets some more creativity in there please.

49 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Take out Piette and insert Osorio in there, gets some more creativity in there please.

It honestly depends who we face, if we are playing Honduras away i’d much rather have a more defensive midfielder to assist Hutch and our bad backline.

If we face Honduras at home, I want Osorio creativity to aid us get the win

10 hours ago, 1996 said:

Wouldn't argue with that. It could be opponent dependent. The great thing is we can show different looks now. MAK should hopefully provide yet another look, he's a different player than both.

That said, I think the two mainstays have to be Arfield and Hutchinson, until he is done with the NT. Piette, Osorio and (hopefully if he recovers well, MAK) can rotate depending on what the game needs. Teibert and Chapman I think will be excellent secondary options, one more offensive and the other more defensive.

A lot of depth right now in the center. Not to mention the excellent depth out wide with Davies, Hoillet, Tabla, Millar and David, with a secondary back up crop of Edwards, Akindele, Aird and Petrasso, who are all serviceable.

Edited by Obinna

• 3 months later...

Arfield, Davies, Hoilett, Cav, David on the field together at the same time, and in form, Yes Please!!! 

We can go back and forth about the specific formations and specific positions on the field of each of these guys (let Herdman figure that out)...

Those 5, still leaves us with 5 defensive minded players on the field & lots of offensive quality options off the bench.

Honestly, can't wait.

7 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Arfield, Davies, Hoilett, Cav, David on the field together at the same time, and in form, Yes Please!!! 

We can go back and forth about the specific formations and specific positions on the field of each of these guys (let Herdman figure that out)...

Those 5, still leaves us with 5 defensive minded players on the field & lots of offensive quality options off the bench.

Honestly, can't wait.

It's actually a good team, we have.

I mean, Arfield would probably get into the USA squad with regularity. Several years in the Prem and now scoring 10 goals on the season at Rangers. Like, Timothy Weah is on loan there, at Celtic. It's only been since January, and he doesn't have half the goals Arfield has, and he's an out and out attacker. 

Meanwhile, David is a legit young talent. Scoring in Belgium regularly at the age of 19. That's a pretty big deal for any player, let alone one from Concacaf. I wouldn't call it an exaggeration to say he's a top 5 prospect in Concacaf, and he's our player.

Then, Davies is a scale on top of that. Now that he's gone to Europa and actually played a little bit at Bayern, he's getting even more attention in the soccer world. And it's not an exaggeration to say he's a top 10 prospect in the world. He would walk into any team in our region.

And Cavallini, you can't forget about his contributions in Mexico. A lot of people are taking notice now. Matt Doyle brought him up recently, giving him props for all the goals in Liga MX. That's a league the Americans respect. They would love to have a striker scoring regularly for them at that level right now.

Hoilett is also a respectable player. Playing in the Premier League (once again) and even scoring 3 goals. Again, I don't think an American has done that this season, right?  

I honestly can't wait until we play the Americans. I think American fans are going to be taken by surprise. They will still largely ignore us until we put a good run together, but on paper this team should be very difficult for both the US and Mexico. Davies alone would be a challenge for both, let alone David and Hoilett also causing issues, Arfield making life difficult in the midfield, and Cavallini making himself a presence in the box.  At the very least we should prove to be as annoying to them as Costa Rica for the next few years.

Edited by Obinna