Scott Arfield

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I get the attraction of having them play for the home team, but I hope all of these guys stay in Europe and push as hard as they can as long as they are in the picture for the Nat team.  No swan song victory laps while they can be playing games in the EPL (or fighting for promotion to it) or in the latter stages of the Champions League.  

I disagree with the notion the the word 'Europe' makes any decision better. I want all of our players, especially the few that we rely on the most in our biggest games, to choose the club team that gives them the most competitive environment while giving them a good chance to start regularly. I would be happy if Arfield ends up at another EPL team but possibly just as happy if he ended up in a good position at a good club in MLS. Having a player happy to play for a club and not having to play politics worrying about their next contract is a bonus for the players focus at practice and in games. Having a player who is 27 plus with a stable life for their family can only benefit their club and country play.

It would be really nice for our program if him deciding to play for Canada lead to him signing a contract worth like $2mil USD or even more than that with a Canadian MLS team. Might make some dual nationals think a little bit more about the decision because of how much MLS over values national teamers. 

MLS would be a massive drop in competitive environment for Arfield.  There is nothing wrong with being challenged to get into the gameday 11 week in and week out.

MLS, for Arfield, would pose little to zero competition in getting into a gameday 11.  This is not good.  MLS is not a level where our best players should be playing.  Arfield is at least in our top 5 on the CMNT, probably top 3.  MLS is way too low for him.      

I don't think the MLS is way to low for anyone in our program or even the US program for that matter. Pulisic aside of course.

That doesn't mean Arfield should come. I do want Canada to have our top end guys in the big 5 leagues. It helps our image.

I do think Arfield can be a very good MLS player, but the comments I am reading on here and elsewhere about him dominating MLS are too far.

When I think of dominant midfielders in MLS I think Almiron, Piatti, Valeri etc., or if you want a more defensive example, Michael Bradley.

Arfield I think is somewhere in between nd it is hard to think of a similar player.

For me he is sort of like a more talented and more technically sound Will Johnson. Good engine, can play anywhere in midfield, etc.

The reality is most of his career he has been a League One/Championship player. I don't see him getting a lot of minutes in the EPL. I think some people just want him in stay in the EPL because of the cachet of having a Canadian International in the league.

He's 29, MLS might not be a bad option. He'd be a guaranteed starter in increasingly competitive league.

11 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

The reality is most of his career he has been a League One/Championship player. I don't see him getting a lot of minutes in the EPL. I think some people just want him in stay in the EPL because of the cachet of having a Canadian International in the league.

He's 29, MLS might not be a bad option. He'd be a guaranteed starter in increasingly competitive league.

He played more in the Premier League than League one.

He's spent roughly 30% in the EPL

30% in the Championship

30% in the SPL

And like 10% in League one.

That's just off the top so not accurate just an estimation from memory. You can refer to his career statistics online for confirmation, but I believe it is something like that.

45 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He played more in the Premier League than League one.

He's spent roughly 30% in the EPL

30% in the Championship

30% in the SPL

And like 10% in League one.

That's just off the top so not accurate just an estimation from memory. You can refer to his career statistics online for confirmation, but I believe it is something like that.

Specifically:

86 in the Premier League

112 in the Championship

79 in League One

73 in the Scottish Premier League

He has played exclusively in the Championship and the Premier League since 2012, so suggesting he's a League One player is nonsense. Moreover he has averaged 77 minutes a game in his Premier League career, so he clearly can and has gotten lots of minutes at that level.

9 minutes ago, Zem said:

Specifically:

86 in the Premier League

112 in the Championship

79 in League One

He has played exclusively in the Championship and the Premier League since 2012, so suggesting he's a League One player is nonsense. Moreover he has averaged 77 minutes a game in his Premier League career, so he clearly can and has gotten lots of minutes at that level.

I would be curious to see how many cup games he played while at each level. My guess is that he's played quite a few with Burnley (a Championship/EPL club).

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I don't think the MLS is way to low for anyone in our program or even the US program for that matter. Pulisic aside of course.

That doesn't mean Arfield should come. I do want Canada to have our top end guys in the big 5 leagues. It helps our image.

I do think Arfield can be a very good MLS player, but the comments I am reading on here and elsewhere about him dominating MLS are too far.

When I think of dominant midfielders in MLS I think Almiron, Piatti, Valeri etc., or if you want a more defensive example, Michael Bradley.

Arfield I think is somewhere in between nd it is hard to think of a similar player.

For me he is sort of like a more talented and more technically sound Will Johnson. Good engine, can play anywhere in midfield, etc.

Absolutely agree @ Obinna ...Also I would put in Ballou in that same category as Pulisiç....Heck, even Canniggia for that matter from our pool(too good for MLS)... But nothing wrong with having a big chunk of our players playing in MLS(90 % Of the USMNT is MLS-based and why can't ours be???)... We are following that path in fact and with MLS ever improving with each year gone by, will just make us as competitive with other foes out there (just like it has with the USMNT)... MLS imo is already a top 10 league and surpasses a lot of middleweight Europeean leagues (I.e. Russia, Ukraine, Scandinavia, even the likes of Belgium, Portugal and to an extent France, outside PSG of course") and better than most Central & South American leagues for sure 

Arfield is 29. If I was his agent, I'd tell him to go get paid. And that might mean MLS if he's looking for DP money. I don't think DP money will be there 3 years from now when he's 32. (TAM level wage, probably) This is considering looking at latest trends in TAM/DP signings in MLS over past 2 years. They keep getting younger for player of Arfield's calibre.

And MLS might be best bet that Arfield gets paid, and win a trophy. Playing for a mid table EPL team doesn't win you a trophy.

19 minutes ago, Zem said:

Specifically:

86 in the Premier League

112 in the Championship

79 in League One

Ok then Championship player. Anyway his Premier league apps breakdown: (36) in 2014/2015. (23) in 2016/2017. This season (15).

Not an exactly upward trend the longer Burnely stays in the Premier League. 

1 minute ago, mpg_29 said:

Ok then Championship player. Anyway his Premier league apps breakdown: (36) in 2014/2015. (23) in 2016/2017. This season (15).

Agreed. Arfield is a marginal EPLer on a (soon to be formerly) marginal EPL team.

If Burnley is going to make the shift to a more stable EPL presence, a guy like Arfield is going to have to take a pay cut to hang around, or will have to jump ship.

I'd prefer if he stays over there, but at his age the MLS option isn't worse than Tier 2 and is sure better than Scotland.

Edited by Marc

4 minutes ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Absolutely agree @ Obinna ...Also I would put in Ballou in that same category as Pulisiç....Heck, even Canniggia for that matter from our pool(too good for MLS)... But nothing wrong with having a big chunk of our players playing in MLS(90 % Of the USMNT is MLS-based and why can't ours be???)... We are following that path in fact and with MLS ever improving with each year gone by, will just make us as competitive with other foes out there (just like it has with the USMNT)... MLS imo is already a top 10 league and surpasses a lot of middleweight Europeean leagues (I.e. Russia, Ukraine, Scandinavia, even the likes of Belgium, Portugal and to an extent France, outside PSG of course") and better than most Central & South American leagues for sure 

I love the optimism but can't say I agree with much of it. What have you seen from Caniggia to give him such praise

1 minute ago, mpg_29 said:

I find it funny that you first said he's a championship/league one player and then when it's pointed out he played more in the epl than league one you say "okay fine championship player". 

Why not say he is a championship/epl rather than just a championship player? You had no problem throwing in /league one, so why not throw in /epl?

Afterall, the epl is where he curre tly plays and has played for the last 2 years.

6 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I do agree in the downward trend tho. Unsurprising as burnley have stregthened.

IIRC Burnley have been relegated twice since Arfield joined them and both times they promoted right back up with Arfield as a consistent starter in MF during those Championship campaigns.

(edit: they only relegated once. The first campaign was their initial promotion and Scotty had over 40 appearances.)

So if you want to consider him a marginal player on a marginal EPL team then you also have to consider him a solid starter on a top Championship team.

Edited by jpg75

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I find it funny that you first said he's a championship/league one player and then when it's pointed out he played more in the epl than league one you say "okay fine championship player". 

Why not say he is a championship/epl rather than just a championship player? You had no problem throwing in /league one, so why not throw in /epl?

Afterall, the epl is where he curre tly plays and has played for the last 2 years.

Well I missed the fact that Burnley was in the EPL in 2014/2015. So looking at his stats it seemed most of his games were played in Championship and League One. (still looks like he technically has more apps in league one than premier league by my count)

7 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Scotty is neither a "Championship" player nor a Premier League superstar. But he is a solid PL player or he would have been moved on by now.

You can't read too much into apps (with respect to player quality) because there are too many variables.

By the way, that is 15 apps SO FAR this season; it ain't over yet!

Right but It's unlikely he will match the previous seasons 23 apps. Hence a downward trend.

12 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Going by wiki he had 108 apps in SPL as a 19-21 yr old. 75 apps in L1 with Huddersfield at age 22-23, so two seasons as a young man. Since 2012 he has spent 3 seasons in the Championship (112 apps) and 3 in the EPL (86).

Also it is worthwhile to note that there are more teams in the Championship and League one than in the EPL, so there is a slight skew in his number of apperances in those leagues over the Premier League. 

A slight difference that adds up over a career. At first glance you see he played more games in the Championship than the EPL, but spent 3 seasons in each, so is it fair to say he's more of a Championship player than an EPL player if he played 3 seasons in each division and was basically a starter in both?