Scott Arfield

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

It's actually a good team, we have.

I mean, Arfield would probably get into the USA squad with regularity. Several years in the Prem and now scoring 10 goals on the season at Rangers. Like, Timothy Weah is on loan there, at Celtic. It's only been since January, and he doesn't have half the goals Arfield has, and he's an out and out attacker. 

Meanwhile, David is a legit young talent. Scoring in Belgium regularly at the age of 19. That's a pretty big deal for any player, let alone one from Concacaf. I wouldn't call it an exaggeration to say he's a top 5 prospect in Concacaf, and he's our player.

Then, Davies is a scale on top of that. Now that he's gone to Europa and actually played a little bit at Bayern, he's getting even more attention in the soccer world. And it's not an exaggeration to say he's a top 10 prospect in the world. He would walk into any team in our region.

And Cavallini, you can't forget about his contributions in Mexico. A lot of people are taking notice now. Matt Doyle brought him up recently, giving him props for all the goals in Liga MX. That's a league the Americans respect. They would love to have a striker scoring regularly for them at that level right now.

Hoilett is also a respectable player. Playing in the Premier League (once again) and even scoring 3 goals. Again, I don't think an American has done that this season, right?  

I honestly can't wait until we play the Americans. I think American fans are going to be taken by surprise. They will still largely ignore us until we put a good run together, but on paper this team should be very difficult for both the US and Mexico. Davies alone would be a challenge for both, let alone David and Hoilett also causing issues, Arfield making life difficult in the midfield, and Cavallini making himself a presence in the box.  At the very least we should prove to be as annoying to them as Costa Rica for the next few years.

I completely agree, except we don't have the same talent in defense. Against better teams, this will cost us. 

23 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

They also play way more often and against better competition

Nations League will level that out a bit, much to the annoyance of Americans everywhere. Segments of their fanbase don't want Nations League and would rather play friendlies against South American or European teams. 

Edited by Obinna

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Nations League will level that out a bit, much to the annoyance of Americans everywhere. Segments of their fanbase don't want Nations League and would rather play friendlies against South American or European teams. 

Totally agree. Nations league probably benefits us more than anyone else in CONCACAF. IMO

10 hours ago, shamrock said:

I completely agree, except we don't have the same talent in defense. Against better teams, this will cost us. 

This! Glad this group seems capable (on paper) of bagging some goals, but there’s no single player on our defense that I would describe as “solid”, and that’s a problem. Sure there’s some potential but not a single player that consistently owns a starting spot at decent enough level. 

Edited by A_Gagne

3 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Glad this group seems capable (on paper) of bagging some goals, but no single play on our defense that I would describe as “solid”, and that’s a problem. Sure there’s some potential but not a single player that consistently owns a starting spot at decent enough level

History aside, Doneil Henry has played every minute for Vancouver this season, and he's been one of their better players.

7 hours ago, shamrock said:

Completely agree with this also, hopefully it sorts itself out within the next 24 months. A solidified back 4 is our weakest link at the moment.

We honestly are so blessed to have Borjan, praying he stays healthy.

He was Man of the Match in the champions league games where he held Both Napoli and Liverpool scoreless. Also led Champions league group stage in saves.  He can only do so much, but it is a great luxury for us. 

Between Arfield and Borjan, those are my 2 armband choices for the next cycle.

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

Completely agree with this also, hopefully it sorts itself out within the next 24 months. A solidified back 4 is our weakest link at the moment.

We honestly are so blessed to have Borjan, praying he stays healthy.

He was Man of the Match in the champions league games where he held Both Napoli and Liverpool scoreless. Also led Champions league group stage in saves.  He can only do so much, but it is a great luxury for us. 

Between Arfield and Borjan, those are my 2 armband choices for the next cycle.

Still time to bag both Ferreira and Tomori by fall.

Our CB duo would be in the right chair

1-Tomori-Ferreira

2-James-Henry

3-Cornelius-Edgar

4-Vitoria-Jakovic

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Still time to bag both Ferreira and Tomori by fall.

Our CB duo would be in the right chair

1-Tomori-Ferreira

I think you might be sacrificing a little bit of speed with that pairing.  On a plastic pitch Ferreira's wheelchair might move a little bit better than on natural grass, but I'm sure it would really hamper him against speedy central American attackers.

22 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I think you might be sacrificing a little bit of speed with that pairing.  On a plastic pitch Ferreira's wheelchair might move a little bit better than on natural grass, but I'm sure it would really hamper him against speedy central American attackers.

The only sacrifice for speed would be from Ferriera as Tomori has more pace than the rest of our center back player pool altogether and more than most of our current team.  Ferreira if healthy would add a level of skill that our current set of center backs do not have.  That is only assuming he ever gets out of that wheelchair again.

Edited by Corazon

On 4/7/2019 at 12:52 PM, Kadenge said:

I think its safe to say that Scotty would have got the call for Scotland if he had not committed to us....well he's ours now! Hope he is fit for the Gold Cup. He has only played one game during Herdman's term

Dont worry, no one has played many games under Herdman, he'll be able to catch up quickly.  

On 4/10/2019 at 10:56 PM, Obinna said:

Arfield should probably stay put.

Agree, but $$ talks and Southampton would offer a big pay raise.

He could be the "player to be named later" in the Steven Davis loan to Rangers :).

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, jordan said:

I think its a pretty good draw, same was said last year when drawn with Rapid, Villareal, and Spartak. Arfield needs a good rest though, he was pretty poor yesterday.

It was always going to be tough if you are in the last pot but I think there where a few other groups that there is a better chance to get out of, this time round. B, C, I, L?  But all the best wishes. 

• 2 months later...

This doesn't surprise me. Arfield has definitely had less goal involvements than last season. For Canada he is still very useful, but I am not sure he is a sure starter. I suspect it will be the same with Rangers from now until however long he is at the club. 

Perhaps he is not helped by playing out wide at this stage of his career. I noticed he has been used in a front 3 a lot this year, whereas last year he was a CAM mostly. He's played over 450 club games, so he's not a spring chicken anymore.

Edited by Obinna