Scott Arfield

12 hours ago, matty said:

he won't have to worry about the xi but is it a level that suites him? spl is bordering on a drop to league 1 and he is only 29 and may still want to hang in a big league.

that is a fair point in terms of the spl as a whole being dramatical weaker, but rangers is a quality club in the spl and also has a chance at the europa too

1 hour ago, canadasoccer20 said:

that is a fair point in terms of the spl as a whole being dramatical weaker, but rangers is a quality club in the spl and also has a chance at the europa too

yes it's rangers but this isn't the same rangers. they've fallen way behind celtic and in terms of Europa, they're unlikely to make the group stages also last year lost to a club from Luxemburg.

34 minutes ago, matty said:

yes it's rangers but this isn't the same rangers. they've fallen way behind celtic and in terms of Europa, they're unlikely to make the group stages also last year lost to a club from Luxemburg.

Signing guys like Arfield is a step in the right direction for Rangers though. Their midfield would begin to compete with Celtic's. They are building slow but steady. I'd say if they get Arfield, sign a decent backup striker to compete for minutes, and get a little help on the back end, they will actually compete with Celtic next year. Sounds like a lot but its really not, theyre only 10 points behind this year. In fact, the SPL is actually a more tight title race than the EPL, 13 points seperates 1-4. Teams in the top half of the table have some decent players, especially Scottish internationals. 

1 hour ago, matty said:

Sounds like you have been listening to propaganda from Celtic supporters on this, because that's not the way most people in Scotland see it. Celtic are nothing special in quality terms at the moment, so Rangers are a decent managerial appointment away from challenging again. Appointing Pedro Caixinha was a strange move and set the timeline back a bit on that, but it won't be long until it is a two horse race again.

1 hour ago, BradMack said:

Signing guys like Arfield is a step in the right direction for Rangers though. Their midfield would begin to compete with Celtic's. They are building slow but steady. I'd say if they get Arfield, sign a decent backup striker to compete for minutes, and get a little help on the back end, they will actually compete with Celtic next year. Sounds like a lot but its really not, theyre only 10 points behind this year. In fact, the SPL is actually a more tight title race than the EPL, 13 points seperates 1-4. Teams in the top half of the table have some decent players, especially Scottish internationals. 

Oh I fully agree but it's a work in progress on field and a bit of a mixed bag behind the scenes. If it really was about the competitiveness of the league than MLS would be a better move overall.

32 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Sounds like you have been listening to propaganda from Celtic supporters on this, because that's not the way most people in Scotland see it. Celtic are nothing special in quality terms at the moment, so Rangers are a decent managerial appointment away from challenging again. Appointing Pedro Caixinha was a strange move and set the timeline back a bit on that, but it won't be long until it is a two horse race again.

It's officially not the same team (they did inherit the history which is nice) and at the current time lacks the organization and money to compete (not to mention the crazy debt they keep going in). Celtic aren't special but could become a "power club" with greater ease than Rangers.

Rangers moves seem to be along the idea of "ok let's spend a lot and make it to Europa Group Stages so we get a larger pay out and more ad money". Power to them, they have the ambition to get back to business.

Edited by matty

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Definitely a case of passing on propaganda from Celtic supporters. It's still the same club according to the SFA and UEFA.

Legally liquidated and forced to start from the bottom of the professional system and the SFA denied them a licence. Like I said they inherited the history and some organizations do like to give them credit with that history but this officially isn't the same.

2 hours ago, matty said:

Legally liquidated and forced to start from the bottom of the professional system and the SFA denied them a licence. Like I said they inherited the history and some organizations do like to give them credit with that history but this officially isn't the same.

Aren't they playing in the same stadium, wearing the same kit, have the same name, and watched by the same fans though? Which begs the question what does this difference actually amount to?

I see their average attendance this season is over 49,000 (!) compared to Celtic's 58,000. Surely Rangers will be competitive soon.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avesco.htm

Edited by dsqpr

23 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Aren't they playing in the same stadium, wearing the same kit, have the same name, and watched by the same fans though? Which begs the question what does this difference actually amount to?

I see their average attendance this season is over 49,000 (!) compared to Celtic's 58,000. Surely Rangers will be competitive soon.

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avesco.htm

as I've said the legacy was passed on to them. some fundamental things changed (how they were run radically changed) and a lot of those things are as key as stadium, colours and fans. I don't think we'll agree here which is fine.

As for attendance, they drew 49,000 fans and somehow racked up almost 7m GBP in debt in their first season back in SPL. I'd hate to see how much they took for between 2012 and 2016 because I'm sure it's insane. The liquidation really fucked them in many ways. The club does seem set to get back to pre-issue affairs quickly and Europa League gs seems like their short term goal to enhance income so I could see them going head to head with Celtic in the next 5-10 seasons which is awesome.

Edited by matty

53 minutes ago, matty said:

I could see them going head to head with Celtic in the next 5-10 seasons which is awesome.

I think 3-5 is more realistic.

Wasn't last season their first back in the SPL? 

2nd season back in the top flight and only 10 pts. behind Celtic at the moment, right?

Assuming Celtic keeps the same pace, I really find it hard to imagine them not seriously challenging for a title in the next 5 years.

If they get the signings they want, I don't see why they can't be the stand alone team in 2nd, bare minimum.

They are tied with Aberdeen in 2nd now, I think, but their GD is closer to Celtic's than Aberdeen's if I recall correctly.

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think 3-5 is more realistic.

Wasn't last season their first back in the SPL? 

2nd season back in the top flight and only 10 pts. behind Celtic at the moment, right?

Assuming Celtic keeps the same pace, I really find it hard to imagine them not seriously challenging for a title in the next 5 years.

If they get the signings they want, I don't see why they can't be the stand alone team in 2nd, bare minimum.

They are tied with Aberdeen in 2nd now, I think, but their GD is closer to Celtic's than Aberdeen's if I recall correctly.

I think they will be competing with Celtic again sooner rather than later. Although I admit that I am not following the story very closely.

Confirmed that he will transfer to Rangers when his contract expires in June. Reportedly will sign a 3-year deal. Rangers are supposed to officially announce the signing this coming Sunday before the Old Firm match.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/951648/Rangers-News-Scott-Arfield-Three-Year-Deal-Burnley-Exit-Contract-Rumours-Gossip

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16187323.Dyche_hails___39_tremendous_servants__39__as_Arfield_and_Marney_near_Clarets_exit/

Edited by sloth8

Anyone with a bit of Scottish background (or interest in Scottish football) will likely have an opinion on Arfield potentially landing at Ibrox; I have my own biases/opinions about this potential signing as well.

This is a Canadian soccer board; I'd rather leave any hints of tribalism for elsewhere.

Edited by JamboAl

10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Anyone with a bit of Scottish background (or interest in Scottish football) will likely have an opinion on Arfield potentially landing at Ibrox; I have my own biases/opinions about this potential signing as well.

This is a Canadian soccer board; I'd rather leave any hints of tribalism for elsewhere.

Anyone with an interest in Scottish football knows your name probably gives your thoughts away ? 

2 hours ago, Shakmur said:

I'd much prefer to see Arfield in MLS than in SPL. He should go back to Scotland when he's close to retirement.

I see on wikipedia he was born in Dechmont. If his family is from West Lothian there is a very good chance he is from a Rangers supporting background in a similar way to Fraser Aird because Rangers tend to be the most popular team in that part of Scotland. This move could be something he has always dreamed of the way Canadian kids dream of playing for the Maple Leafs or Canadiens.

6 hours ago, Keegan said:

Anyone with an interest in Scottish football knows your name probably gives your thoughts away ? 

Darned Hibernian fans cluttering up the board. (Dives for cover...)

Edited by dsqpr

On 2018-04-28 at 2:33 AM, BradMack said:

Stevie G being linked to the Rangers job, I never like it when a team signs a player without the new managers input, but I think Scotty will be okay. Maybe we could see Scotty spraying balls to Liam Millar on the wings for Rangers next year. 

Director of football is making the signings. Mark Allen who was the former youth academy head at Manchester City