Scott Arfield

It's quite surprising that Burnley would seemingly be so happy to let Arfield go when they could get into Europe next season, as they will surely need a bigger squad if they hope to do well in multiple competitions. Then again, maybe the club don't really care about their possible European adventure.

37 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

It's quite surprising that Burnley would seemingly be so happy to let Arfield go when they could get into Europe next season, as they will surely need a bigger squad if they hope to do well in multiple competitions. Then again, maybe the club don't really care about their possible European adventure.

Yeah, pretty sure they'll be focused on staying as far away from relegation since a spot in EPL is worth far more than Europa League.

14 hours ago, maccaliam said:

It is not as if he is irreplaceable.

Given CMNT players have been known to use this forum, should probably wish Scott Arfield all the best in the years ahead and urge him to do something during Old Firm games that will inspire this sweet little cherub from Northern Ireland to make another youtube clip {clicking is best avoided if you are likely to be offended by the repeated use of swear words}:

and let's always remember where Rangers are concerned:

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

It is not as if he is irreplaceable.

Of course not. But I would assume they’ll need to bring in players anyway to play the extra fixtures.

I’m just slightly surprised they didn’t keep someone they know well, was ok not being a regular every week, and they knew could do a job for them. As I’m sure you are aware, those are not qualities all players have, and it is a risk to assume a new player would be able to step in right away and do that for them. 

On 2018-05-03 at 9:23 PM, jpg75 said:

Yeah, pretty sure they'll be focused on staying as far away from relegation since a spot in EPL is worth far more than Europa League.

For sure if they are struggling in the league, then I would understand them making the Europa league a distant second consideration. 

Having said that, they are seventh and have been doing very well for much of the season, so I would assume Burnley would be going into next year with more ambition than to simply avoid relegation. 

1 hour ago, maccaliam said:

For sure if they are struggling in the league, then I would understand them making the Europa league a distant second consideration. 

Having said that, they are seventh and have been doing very well for much of the season, so I would assume Burnley would be going into next year with more ambition than to simply avoid relegation. 

Don't expect Burnley to finish in the top half of the league again. They're at best a mid-table club that punched above their weight this season and should be more worried about relegating than qualifying for Europe.

3 hours ago, maccaliam said:

Of course not. But I would assume they’ll need to bring in players anyway to play the extra fixtures.

I’m just slightly surprised they didn’t keep someone they know well, was ok not being a regular every week, and they knew could do a job for them. As I’m sure you are aware, those are not qualities all players have, and it is a risk to assume a new player would be able to step in right away and do that for them. 

I don’t disagree. I think they are taking a risk too. However, I am not sure they see it that way. 

This is arguably one of the best runs for them in a long time. They can attract bigger names than anytime in recent memory. Whether it comes off remains to be seen.

Like you said, risk.

It will be interesting to see if they become the next Leiester City, or just another small club who just overachieved for a while. 

10 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Don't expect Burnley to finish in the top half of the league again. They're at best a mid-table club that punched above their weight this season and should be more worried about relegating than qualifying for Europe.

I agree that I don’t expect them to finish as high next year, though I think if they keep ahold of Dyche, they can be comfortable mid-table. I do think Dyche will want to show he can perform in Europe though to add to his resume as I believe he would see himself at a bigger club (financially and traditionally) in the next few seasons. 

12 hours ago, maccaliam said:

How do you know he was Ok with not being a regular every week? Playing time could be one of his main motivations for this move.

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

How do you know he was Ok with not being a regular every week? Playing time could be one of his main motivations for this move.

Yeah, I mis-worded that. I had meant he didn't seem to cause any problems when he wasn't a regular in the side. I would not be surprised if likely playing time was a motivation of his, I was more surprised at the apparent lack of a new deal offered from Burnley's perspective. The move makes a lot more sense from Arfield's side, as he can still get European action but be more assured of playing time week-in, week-out. 

6 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I thought I read he was offered a deal but it was basically the same deal he was on which I think was from the Championship and he was unhappy with it.

I think they offered him just another year, and he felt he could or should get more than that, and I don't think the club liked it too much that he refused to take it. They assumed he was talking to other options, after January having the right to do so.

Then injuries, and not playing, so they sort of froze him out, in part anyways. As I see it, but may be wrong, I have a superficial understanding of that club.

7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I thought I read he was offered a deal but it was basically the same deal he was on which I think was from the Championship and he was unhappy with it.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think they offered him just another year, and he felt he could or should get more than that, and I don't think the club liked it too much that he refused to take it. They assumed he was talking to other options, after January having the right to do so.

Then injuries, and not playing, so they sort of froze him out, in part anyways. As I see it, but may be wrong, I have a superficial understanding of that club.

I hadn't heard that he had been offered anything, so if it is true, the situation makes much more sense (to me anyway). 

I like the SPL but man it's a big step down from going to places like Manchester and Liverpool to St. Mirren and Hamilton, those would be div 2 teams in England.  Aberdeen Hibs and Hearts are reasonable size but I would say more of a english div 1 standard.  Celtic probably a middling championship level squad. 

Subjective but not great for CMNT fans in my opinion.  Rangers seems to be outspending their revenues and recording big losses every year again too, I know they are betting that they need to spend big to get back to the top and revenues will follow but that's not a situation I'd have coached him into pursuing if I were his agent.

45 minutes ago, Footscray said:

I like the SPL but man it's a big step down from going to places like Manchester and Liverpool to St. Mirren and Hamilton, those would be div 2 teams in England.  Aberdeen Hibs and Hearts are reasonable size but I would say more of a english div 1 standard.  Celtic probably a middling championship level squad. 

Subjective but not great for CMNT fans in my opinion.  Rangers seems to be outspending their revenues and recording big losses every year again too, I know they are betting that they need to spend big to get back to the top and revenues will follow but that's not a situation I'd have coached him into pursuing if I were his agent.

Celtic could easily be in the prem in my opinion or at the bare minimum be in the playoffs every year in the championship 

I wish he was in the prem, but playing time is HUGE for me from a CMNT perspective.

The majority, if not all of CMNT competition does not compare to the level of the BPL.

If you look at this move from a reverse perspective, his role should be to dominate and BOSS the game with his club, essentially he will/should have a very similar role for us when he suits up for the CMNT. 

Who knows, they may even move him to a more central role, he's shown he can play there and I'm pro a midfield triangle of Piette-Osorio-Arfield. 

13 minutes ago, jordan said:

7-1 against PSG says no

Cavanni Neymar Mbappe beats 3/4ths of the prem 7-0 any given day. Lets also not forget that Rangers spending means Celtic has to spend more to stay dominant. You can see the difference in the SPL since Rangers have come back, most of the top half clubs are bringing in better players. 

28 minutes ago, BradMack said:

Cavanni Neymar Mbappe beats 3/4ths of the prem 7-0 any given day. Lets also not forget that Rangers spending means Celtic has to spend more to stay dominant. You can see the difference in the SPL since Rangers have come back, most of the top half clubs are bringing in better players. 

I watch the SPL 38 weeks a year, this ain’t lasting 

On 5/8/2018 at 9:03 PM, BradMack said:

When I saw "Cavanni Neymar Mbappe" I thought that maybe Cannigia Elva just had a son.