Scott Arfield

5 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Ah, but that is a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact. Burnley still have 10 matches to play so he could yet end with 25 apps, which would not be a downward trend.

Well hes played 15 out 28 games so far (53%). So 20 apps most likely what he'll end up with. 

Edited by mpg_29

8 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I disagree with the notion the the word 'Europe' makes any decision better. I want all of our players, especially the few that we rely on the most in our biggest games, to choose the club team that gives them the most competitive environment while giving them a good chance to start regularly. I would be happy if Arfield ends up at another EPL team but possibly just as happy if he ended up in a good position at a good club in MLS. Having a player happy to play for a club and not having to play politics worrying about their next contract is a bonus for the players focus at practice and in games. Having a player who is 27 plus with a stable life for their family can only benefit their club and country play.

I didn't use the word Europe in the open-ended way you imply.  I said I hope they all stay in Europe, and that is predicated on the high level leagues they specifically are playing in.  Of course "Europe" isn't carte blanche in terms of quality.  But all of these guys are currently playing at a very high level, for teams facing high level of competition every week, and in the case of Arfield and Hutch, they are playing at a level that MLS can not even think of matching.  For every one of them, a move to MLS would be a drop.  

23 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

The reality is most of his career he has been a League One/Championship player. I don't see him getting a lot of minutes in the EPL. I think some people just want him in stay in the EPL because of the cachet of having a Canadian International in the league.

He's 29, MLS might not be a bad option. He'd be a guaranteed starter in increasingly competitive league.

22 hours ago, Zem said:

Specifically:

86 in the Premier League

112 in the Championship

79 in League One

73 in the Scottish Premier League

He has played exclusively in the Championship and the Premier League since 2012, so suggesting he's a League One player is nonsense. Moreover he has averaged 77 minutes a game in his Premier League career, so he clearly can and has gotten lots of minutes at that level.

22 hours ago, Obinna said:

I find it funny that you first said he's a championship/league one player and then when it's pointed out he played more in the epl than league one you say "okay fine championship player". 

Why not say he is a championship/epl rather than just a championship player? You had no problem throwing in /league one, so why not throw in /epl?

Afterall, the epl is where he curre tly plays and has played for the last 2 years.

Jamie Vardy is a non league player.

On 27/02/2018 at 10:43 AM, BrennanFan said:

MLS would be a massive drop in competitive environment for Arfield.  There is nothing wrong with being challenged to get into the gameday 11 week in and week out.

MLS, for Arfield, would pose little to zero competition in getting into a gameday 11.  This is not good.  MLS is not a level where our best players should be playing.  Arfield is at least in our top 5 on the CMNT, probably top 3.  MLS is way too low for him.      

At 29 I do not believe Arfield should be looking for a club where he is in a position not to get playing time. He should be in a position where he knows he will play in or start most games. The competition comes in the fact of winning. We need players competing for cups, league championships and saving teams from relegation.

It is true it would be nice if our best players were playing at top clubs and getting a lot of playing time.. If the level of MLS provides the best chance for Scott to compete every week and have his head and heart invested in winning, I believe that will serve him best at this stage if his career.

It is true that younger players should be willing to compete for a spot on a good club to advance his career. If I was 29 and potentially looking for my final big contract, I would not want to sign with a team where I may not get to contribute and also get paid less. It makes no sense.

Arfield should have no problem signing with another EPL team. It will come down to the term and value of the contract. There are several teams in the bottom half of the EPL table that would value his ability to play on both sides of the ball. Vancouver or Montreal will have to pay him significant money to cross the pond. 

• 1 month later...

Rangers have a good reputation and are well followed to say the least, but IMO it would be step backward from a top 10 premier league team, and I'd rather see him land somewhere else in the EPL.

Also how ironic would it be if he was running Rangers' midfield, bossing the SPL, and yet playing for Canada, essentially because previous Scotland managers  didn't rate him. #irony

1 hour ago, A_Gagne said:

Rangers have a good reputation and are well followed to say the least, but IMO it would be step backward from a top 10 premier league team, and I'd rather see him land somewhere else in the EPL.

Also how ironic would it be if he was running Rangers' midfield, bossing the SPL, and yet playing for Canada, essentially because previous Scotland managers  didn't rate him. #irony

I could see Burnley taking a step back next year. They aren't an established top 10 team.

Also Rangers will likely playing in the Europa League next year as well.

Considering his recent lack of playing time, I think I would be okay with this move.

Sure, the SPL is obviously not the EPL, but the club is iconic and is now finding itself back in Europe.

Helping Rangers in their push back to former glory, to a point where they truly challenging Celtic, well that would be a very appealing project.

He really has nothing more to prove at Burnley. He accomplished so much at the club. The timing to leave is right. 

I think we need our star players to be star players at their clubs. That will only benefit the national team.

There will be a lot of pressure on Arfield to carry Rangers.

Great preparation for carrying Canada. 

He would be a really big signing for Rangers, they have a pretty underwhelming team compared to Celtic. Strange move considering he bashed them pretty bad over the Joey Barton stuff. If they do get Scotty, they still need to sign another striker and get some help on the back end to compete with Celtic. 

4 hours ago, canadasoccer20 said:

I dont mind the move, he wont have to worry as much of not being in the starting 11

he won't have to worry about the xi but is it a level that suites him? spl is bordering on a drop to league 1 and he is only 29 and may still want to hang in a big league.