Marco Bustos

• 1 month later...

Hopefully turns into one of those classical "late bloomers".  When you say it like that it sounds funny but I think the meaning still comes across.  Still relatively young and there are countless clubs in countless leagues better than CPL that could find use for a pacy left footer.  Maybe needs another strong season in CPL to play his way up the ladder but then, of course, to do that he'll need for CPL to actually have a season.

Just guessing but I have a hard time seeing him moving too far from home as it were.  It'll be MLS or bust and that isn't so bad.    

5 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Hopefully turns into one of those classical "late bloomers".  When you say it like that it sounds funny but I think the meaning still comes across.  Still relatively young and there are countless clubs in countless leagues better than CPL that could find use for a pacy left footer.  Maybe needs another strong season in CPL to play his way up the ladder but then, of course, to do that he'll need for CPL to actually have a season.

Just guessing but I have a hard time seeing him moving too far from home as it were.  It'll be MLS or bust and that isn't so bad.    

I really don’t think MLS is the right fit for him. Certainly not this current Whitecaps team. He’s better suited to a style where he’ll see a lot of the ball in advanced positions. He’s already played in 5 cities in 3 countries, so it doesn’t seem like he’s unwilling to move. 

Pacific let Verhoven walk, which to me signals that Bustos is staying 

Edited by Aird25

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Tricky...yes. Pacy...most definitely not! 🙂 

Unfortunately for him, he's an old-fashioned 10, when most of the top end of the game has moved on from using one.

8 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Tricky...yes. Pacy...most definitely not! 🙂 

Unfortunately for him, he's an old-fashioned 10, when most of the top end of the game has moved on from using one.

LOL.  I was going to write "slippery" but didn't seem to quite fit.  Pacy, tricky, slippery.  The man is a walking talking adjective.

No, definately not a greyhound but quick enough to my eye, when he needs to be (just like most forwards).  I don't think his pace is a handicap.  Now that right foot of his, or (for want of a better word) his defending?  Not selling features. 

I don't watch MLS so don't know if there is a home for him out there somewhere but I expect there could be, didn't necessarily mean it had to be the 'Caps or even in Canada.  Has to be lots of teams in that league on the look out for talent and I think he could slot into a couple of rolls.    

Regarding his nationality, has he spent time anywhere else besides NA?  Don't recall.  It just seems late in the game to being going on international adventures for him, if he hasn't already. 

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That is what I’m saying, hence why he could find a spot. He does have Chilean citizenship. 

I feel like playing for a club universidad de Chile would be a better step than the mls .. don't count as  a foreigner

• 3 weeks later...

They lost to Venezuela yesterday in World Cup qualifying.

Not sure why they keep changing the eligibility rules. Seems pretty ridiculous that a player can change after playing 6 games for a National team. What exactly are they trying to accomplish I wonder?

Anyway, as for Bustos, good luck to him if he decides to play for Chile. He was seemingly not getting an opportunity with Canada anyway.

(now that's a sentence I never thought I would say lol)

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

They lost to Venezuela yesterday in World Cup qualifying.

Not sure why they keep changing the eligibility rules. Seems pretty ridiculous that a player can change after playing 6 games for a National team. What exactly are they trying to accomplish I wonder?

Anyway, as for Bustos, good luck to him if he decides to play for Chile. He was seemingly not getting an opportunity with Canada anyway.

(now that's a sentence I never thought I would say lol)

I'm assuming they're trying to avoid having big nations dazzle youngesters and cap-tie those kids for life. It's just working completely against us, sadly.  Agree that they're changing it too many times, I didn't realize it was six games. That's a lot.

47 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

This makes me feel even better about our national team.  Bustos figures he has a better shot with Chile than us.  I think maybe someone has been reading too much of his own CPL "hype" articles.  

Or maybe there is truth to it? We don't know, but we do know that Chile has nothing to lose by keeping tabs on him. They have shown interest in him in the past too.

I file a Bustos switch under "extremely unlikely", but that's not to say necessarily say Platt has a bad source here.

2 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I'm assuming they're trying to avoid having big nations dazzle youngesters and cap-tie those kids for life. It's just working completely against us, sadly.  Agree that they're changing it too many times, I didn't realize it was six games. That's a lot.

Yeah you could be right. It's really getting convoluted and hard to follow when things change so often. Takes the fun out of it as a fan. I don't particularly care what the rule is, but just decide on something that makes sense and stick to it. Less is more in my opinion.