Marco Bustos

Agreed. I really struggle with it. On one hand, I can appreciate that the world is so globalized the old approaches don't make sense any longer. Of course, if you left Kosovo at age 5 and you've been called up for England/etc at 20 years old you're going to say yes. Should that commit you for life? Or I can appreciate Yankov - he hasn't lived in Canada for seven or eight years, his family is from Bulgaria, he's spent his teen years there, he shouldn't be tied down by some u15 caps for us ages ago.

But on the other, it sorta eats away at the point of international competition, for me at least. And kinda unfair. If anyone can almost play for anyone ... then ... why have the rules? I mean, Marc Bircham was a blast but that was a bit ridiculous. And how nice of Declan Rice and Jack Grealish build their skills in the Irish system until England came calling? Blech.

Edited by The Real Marc

Just now, top cheese said:

This can’t be true bustos is playing in a semi pro league and chille wants him lol

They wanted him in their program before, albeit for their youth teams. And make of the canpl what you will, but he is arguably the best attacker, so their interest doesn't seem so far fetched to me. Do I think he is playing for Chile? No way. Do I think Chile are monitoring him? Could be bull, could be true, I can see both possibilities. 

20 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Apparently they rate him higher than some of the lower guys in their program and if they are really in dire need of young talent it makes sense. He could probably play in MLS now.

I agree. It's all too easy to judge a player by his league. The reality is that he is a 24 year old with 6 Canada caps. He had a phenomenal strike rate in USL and an equally solid goal tally in the CPL. He got playing time on loan in the Mexican second division. I have no doubt he could play in MLS yesterday. I think Vancouver missed out by not giving him a chance and cutting him loose.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I agree. It's all too easy to judge a player by his league. The reality is that he is a 24 year old with 6 Canada caps. He had a phenomenal strike rate in USL and an equally solid goal tally in the CPL. He got playing time on loan in the Mexican second division. I have no doubt he could play in MLS yesterday. I think Vancouver missed out by not giving him a chance and cutting him loose.

Robinson never gave him a chance in the one position where he might have been able to break through as first-team regular. He's a 10 who should be playing centrally. He doesn't have the pace to play as a winger in a league that prioritises athleticism, like MLS. Robinson only ever played him on the wing in his few opportunities in the first team. With Morales' injury record, I think Bustos should have been dropped into games as a late sub for Morales, giving the captain a rest, with the odd start thrown in.

4 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Robinson never gave him a chance in the one position where he might have been able to break through as first-team regular. He's a 10 who should be playing centrally. He doesn't have the pace to play as a winger in a league that prioritises athleticism, like MLS. Robinson only ever played him on the wing in his few opportunities in the first team. With Morales' injury record, I think Bustos should have been dropped into games as a late sub for Morales, giving the captain a rest, with the odd start thrown in.

Agreed. The ironic thing is that is the sort of player they desperately needed this year. Even if he was playing as a second striker behind Cavallini he could have done some damage. Montero did a good job paired with Lucas this year, but the ability to bring Bustos on for Freddy, or better yet, to play him in behind both, would have made Vancouver a lot more dangerous than they were. At the very least it would have given their attack more variety. I am a big fan of Bustos. Always have been. I still remember when he started against Scotland and never missed a beat. Aird stole the show that night, but Bustos for sure showed he has the talent to play at a high level. I think/hope it is only a matter of time before he works his way back into the national team picture (the Canadian one, that is)! 

42 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Sometimes a manager/coach doesn’t rate a guy... see Crepeau, Maxime.

i think you’re right and he didn’t get a fair shake and he’s not the only one.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Agreed. The ironic thing is that is the sort of player they desperately needed this year. Even if he was playing as a second striker behind Cavallini he could have done some damage. Montero did a good job paired with Lucas this year, but the ability to bring Bustos on for Freddy, or better yet, to play him in behind both, would have made Vancouver a lot more dangerous than they were. At the very least it would have given their attack more variety. I am a big fan of Bustos. Always have been. I still remember when he started against Scotland and never missed a beat. Aird stole the show that night, but Bustos for sure showed he has the talent to play at a high level. I think/hope it is only a matter of time before he works his way back into the national team picture (the Canadian one, that is)! 

I feel like I have heard this half a dozen times this year about the Whitecaps. Fraser, Froese, Adekugbe, now Bustos...

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

I feel like I have heard this half a dozen times this year about the Whitecaps. Fraser, Froese, Adekugbe, now Bustos...

I don't think they regret on Fraser or Froese.  Adekugbe I think they blew.  Bustos is looking good in lower leagues, and you can certainly argue he should be given a chance at a higher league, but I'm not sure they regret it yet.  Though I agree he should have been given a better chance by the Whitecaps at his natural position.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Colyn will likely go on this list and Baldisimo, Dos Santos just doesn’t play him,  honestly some of their solutions are internal...

What did Bustos get in, about 4 MLS and maybe 10 CC games??  In the TFC thread, they would say he had his shot, didnt impress and you cant "gift" minutes to CDN when the team needs to win now.  Then they would say we know better than you and where are all these kids who had success after we dumped them?   And MA Kaye doesnt count.  Hehehehe.  

His game may have matured and gotten better but with the MLS improving as well I dont know whether he would make much of a impact on most MLS teams.  A MLS minimum (or higher) salary would be nice though.  

40 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Colyn will likely go on this list and Baldisimo, Dos Santos just doesn’t play him,  honestly some of their solutions are internal...

If Colyn leaves now it's as a sale, while also showing less than the others on the list.  I don't think he's a comparable.  If they walked away from Baldisimo, that would be regrettable.  Baldisimo still needs to work on his game. We get enamoured with having a defensive midfielder who can actually pass the ball forward, while ignoring that he still needs to work on the defensive side.  

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Fraser left when he was, what, 14, and for non-footballing reasons? Hard to find fault or regret on that one.

Froese did get a lot of chances in the first team for an 18/19-year old. I thought he showed pretty well, and they should have persisted with him. However, without knowing how much they got for him and how hard the player, himself, pushed for the move to Germany, it's hard to criticize letting him go.

Adekugbe was pencilled in to be the first-team LB, but got injured very early in his run. When he got fit, he had trouble unseating Harvey from his spot. And he was also obsessed with moving to Europe. I'm pretty sure that the 'Caps would have kept him, otherwise.

I don't think Bustos is keeping anybody in the 'Caps organisation up at night, regardless of how well he's currently doing in CanPL.

Now, if they don't get their heads out of their asses on Baldisimo in the next 2-3 months, on the other hand...

1 hour ago, ted said:

Are they? I thought the rule was competitive matches for most, if not all, of the last 50 years?

There was a rule change as recently as a few months ago I believe. Competitive matches still tie you, but not if you are under 21 years old, provided you play no more than 3 games. Something like that.

Others may correct me where I have it wrong. I don't particularly care to go look it up at the moment. 

Pretty soon it is going to be:

Competitive matches still tie you, but not if you are under 21 years old, provided you play no more than 3 games, with "competitive" now only applying only to continental and world cup play, and lineage being expanded to great-grandparents, but only for those who are left-footed. All right-footed players will be eligible for the special privilege of expanding their eligibility to 1 extra nation of their choosing, providing it is in their home confederation, and they declare their choice before their 18th birthday. However, this choice shall only be granted only to those with 30 youth caps or more, providing 50% of those youth caps came at the U-20 level or under, and provided the player has a ham sandwich before each youth game. Documentation of ham sandwich consumption must be included in this special privilege request, which must be submitted to FIFA no later than the first full moon after applicants 18th birthday. 

Edited by Obinna

14 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Froese did get a lot of chances in the first team for an 18/19-year old. I thought he showed pretty well, and they should have persisted with him. However, without knowing how much they got for him and how hard the player, himself, pushed for the move to Germany, it's hard to criticize letting him go.

Adekugbe was pencilled in to be the first-team LB, but got injured very early in his run. When he got fit, he had trouble unseating Harvey from his spot. And he was also obsessed with moving to Europe. I'm pretty sure that the 'Caps would have kept him, otherwise.

I don't think Bustos is keeping anybody in the 'Caps organisation up at night, regardless of how well he's currently doing in CanPL.

Now, if they don't get their heads out of their asses on Baldisimo in the next 2-3 months, on the other hand...

Froese, from what I've heard, was the poster boy for feeling like he was "owed" a spot on the team. Then went to Germany on loan, the Whitecaps didn't like the offer they got for a purchase and called him back, he handled it poorly, and they sold him (for much less) the next summer. A situation of both sides handling it poorly. 

Adekugbe *wasn't* initially pencilled in to be the starting left back. He won the job straight up over Harvey, then got injured early in the season and was never given a chance to play again that year. The following year he was really only given chances with the 2nd tier players, and while never named always seemed to be in that Robinson category of "well I gave them a chance and they didn't get it done so it's their fault not mine" that Bustos was also in. So you can say he was always obsessed with moving to Europe, but if you've proven you can play at the MLS level but aren't being given a fair opportunity by the manager, what are you supposed to do? I've always blamed Robinson for this one much more, and good for him for moving on.

21 hours ago, Obinna said:

There was a rule change as recently as a few months ago I believe. Competitive matches still tie you, but not if you are under 21 years old, provided you play no more than 3 games. Something like that.

Others may correct me where I have it wrong. I don't particularly care to go look it up at the moment. 

Pretty soon it is going to be:

Competitive matches still tie you, but not if you are under 21 years old, provided you play no more than 3 games, with "competitive" now only applying only to continental and world cup play, and lineage being expanded to great-grandparents, but only for those who are left-footed. All right-footed players will be eligible for the special privilege of expanding their eligibility to 1 extra nation of their choosing, providing it is in their home confederation, and they declare their choice before their 18th birthday. However, this choice shall only be granted only to those with 30 youth caps or more, providing 50% of those youth caps came at the U-20 level or under, and provided the player has a ham sandwich before each youth game. Documentation of ham sandwich consumption must be included in this special privilege request, which must be submitted to FIFA no later than the first full moon after applicants 18th birthday. 

You forgot one other clause " you maybe also qualify for that country if your neighbors dog was born in that said country on any day of the week that ends in a y".    😁😁

On 11/19/2020 at 5:54 PM, Obinna said:

They wanted him in their program before, albeit for their youth teams. And make of the canpl what you will, but he is arguably the best attacker, so their interest doesn't seem so far fetched to me. Do I think he is playing for Chile? No way. Do I think Chile are monitoring him? Could be bull, could be true, I can see both possibilities. 

I just find it difficult to believe that a player who has demonstrated an inability to play in MLS, struggled in usl , and is an above average player in a semi pro league. Is being taunted for a national team that is regularly competitive at the wc. Probably coming from the same people who said artardo was going to sign with all these big clubs lol

1 hour ago, top cheese said:

I just find it difficult to believe that a player who has demonstrated an inability to play in MLS, struggled in usl , and is an above average player in a semi pro league. Is being taunted for a national team that is regularly competitive at the wc. Probably coming from the same people who said artardo was going to sign with all these big clubs lol

I can see that. Pretty difficult to believe it when you hold the view that bustos struggled in USL and Chile is a competitive world cup team lol. 

1 hour ago, top cheese said:

I'm skeptical that there is serious interest from Chile too, but you're way off on everything else and it's clear you're just using this as an opportunity to rag on CPL. Bustos hasn't even had a shot at MLS since he was a teenager. He had 24 goals, 5 assists and 5407 minutes in USL by the time he was 22, and he'd worn the armband. Not exactly struggling.

Over the last 2 seasons he's been one of the best players in CPL, the top flight for a country of 40 million people. He's also the highest paid player in the league. The news is clearly being reported by one of the main broadcasters from the soccer network that carries all of our national team games, all of our cup games, and all of our top flight games.