Marco Bustos

went to his wiki page to check his age and he's at that point in his career where I think his biggest focus should be a pay day.

With that being said his current team was listed as an Indian Super League team. Its been changed now but I thought that was a little random

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

apparently hes the highest paid player in the league at over 60k..would be nice to get a higher pay but dont know where that could happen as he was a backup recently in usl and mexico

I wonder how much players like Haber, Ledgerwood and De Jong are getting in that case?

MDJ in particular is interesting, he was on 160k in 2018 at Vancouver. He was on 180k at Sporting in 2015 and was probably making significantly more (at least double) during his 4 years at Augsburg. No doubt he's done very well for himself as a pro.

I assume he is probably on 50-60k with Pacific, which of course is significantly lower, but it may give him the lifestyle he enjoys and he still gets paid to do what he loves. Respect to guys like him who keep on going instead of hanging them up, especially after the injury he had. 

Is he the MVP this tournie?  Guess we'll see but he sure is making the argument.

Don't know the details, the why and because of it all but that Gale let him get away is cringe worthy.  I don't even think he's properly fitting in over at Pacific yet but it's looking better by the match and Kah's looking pretty smart about now.     

6 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Is he the MVP this tournie?  Guess we'll see but he sure is making the argument.

Don't know the details, the why and because of it all but that Gale let him get away is cringe worthy.  I don't even think he's properly fitting in over at Pacific yet but it's looking better by the match and Kah's looking pretty smart about now.     

He's an upgrade on Fisk, who was a solid player regardless. 

We recall his minutes with the Whitecaps. He played with his head down, he did not seem to have a high fitness level and fell off the pace. His main problem stepping up for me are these two things: to not be just a player in a pinch; to raise his overall pace across the pitch, defensively as well. In some ways these are aspects that are the drawbacks on the other strong Canadian creative or attacking mids in CPL, like Aparicio or Bekker. They just have to raise that intensity and make it felt a bit more to be valid options for a higher level league.

8 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Time and space is the key. When talking about him moving on to a better league that has to be the consideration. I hope he stays where he is to be honest. 

Personally I hope he doesn't move on to another league. I doubt he will ever be good enough to play regularly on the CMNT. He might get some caps through limited roster availability. I think he helps Canadian soccer by improving the quality of the CPL, the league that many young Canadians will cut their teeth in. Moving abroad may help him personally, but I hope the CPL can offer him a career with wages that keep him here.

38 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Personally I hope he doesn't move on to another league. I doubt he will ever be good enough to play regularly on the CMNT. He might get some caps through limited roster availability. I think he helps Canadian soccer by improving the quality of the CPL, the league that many young Canadians will cut their teeth in. Moving abroad may help him personally, but I hope the CPL can offer him a career with wages that keep him here.

I kinda agree with this. The league benefits by having young Canadian stars leading the way, so I hope he stays there as long as possible in that sense. That is the part I agree with.

In another sense, I hope he moves on because I genuinely believe he can be somewhat of a regular. He already has 6 caps and he is the same birth year as Eustaquio, so he's has plenty of football ahead of him. At 24 years of age his prime is at least 3-4 years away. I think we lack attacking midfielders of his type, so if he can step up a level and perform I think he gets straight back into the CMNT picture, or at least he'll be deserving of it in my opinion. In that way I am rooting for him to move on so he can reach his potential.

The last time I remember him playing for us was the 1-1 draw away to Scotland. If memory serves me correct, he started the match and really showed he belonged out there. Of course, Fraser Aird was even more impressive and had the game of his life. In fact, he was the one who gave us the goal. He was a terror for Scotland to deal with all evening.

So, if I am being consistent I should say that both of these guys can play their way back into the picture, but for me Bustos has qualities we are lacking whereas Aird doesn't. Not saying he doesn't deserve a look as well, but I just think Marco gives us a different type of player, if you know what I mean.  

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Zach Verhoven would see a lot more minutes if Bustos was sold. You have to consider the players behind these guys as well. Plus any income from selling players will do wonders for these clubs. The best was to improve Canadian soccer is to bring in more money to the domestic game, and to improve the image of the league and our players. To do that we need players to move up and be successful

Edited by Aird25

9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Zach Verhoven would see a lot more minutes if Bustos was sold. You have to consider the players behind these guys as well. Plus any income from selling players will do wonders for these clubs. The best was to improve Canadian soccer is to bring in more money to the domestic game, and to improve the image of the league and our players. To do that we need players to move up and be successful

I am all for selling him to make money! That would be great for CPL, but the goal should not be lower the CPL quality to allow weaker players to get playing time. The goal should always to increase the quality of the league so that young Canadian players are playing in a very competitive environment.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Kyle Bekker is MRP

Most reliable player. Not most valuable. Not a game changer. Sorry to debate what isn't up for debate. 

I think the only debate is Garcia or Bustos

I like the Garcia shout. I haven't watched the Island games too closely, but he seems to be putting Halifax on his back. The same can be said for Pacific and Bustos. Look at them last year without him and now. Garcia obviously has stepped his game up and so to have the Wanderers.

I think the noticeable improvement in the results of those 2 clubs can rightly be attributed to those two players, making them MVP candidates. 

Bekker is consistently "good" and has been since day 1 of the CanPL. Forge are consistently "good" and have been since day 1 of the CanPL. Rightly or wrongly I think that works against Bekker's case. Bustos and Garcia are much more compelling choices because of what each has done for the turn around of their club.

Edited by Obinna