Zac McGraw

Atlantic

1 hour ago, SoCalTransport said:

To be fair to Kamal, as you pointed out in this post. Kennedy and Johnston weren't much better during Nations League.

Everything I said could be said about Kennedy. Serviceable player and glad to have him in the pool, but we all saw what a 21 goal Ligue 1 goal scorer vs a 2.Bundesliga defender looks like.

When the American fans say we have a good team, but we still have gaps, this is what they mean.

Hopefully the final version of Kennedy is better than the current one, because we are going to need strong depth come World Cup time. Miller and Kennedy, useful as they may be in our region, are going to be exploited by top international teams (unless they get better).

12 hours ago, An Observer said:

I personally think it’s partly down to other sides learning how to play us.  Essentially, sit back on defense, let us attack, we likely loose the ball as we don’t have the 10s or creative wings to break them down, hit us on the counter or play over the top as our back 3 will be isolated, are slow and not the best one on one defenders in space.  

This is spot on. While we looked good against Belgium and a couple other tier 1 opponents, it has to be said that those opponents may have just executed that exact game plan of letting us have the ball and break us down in the ways you mentioned.

It is slightly worrying because Herdman is often spouting about these moral victories. “We should have beat Belgium”. Yeah, maybe, but we didn’t. And it’s high likely our tactics are going to keep getting picked apart from top tier teams if we don’t adjust as quick as better opposition appear to do.

On 6/20/2023 at 6:38 PM, maplebanana said:

At Christmas time I said to my Qatar roommates that I wished for Santa to bring a 6'4" speedy CB with a Canadian grandma. I've never seen him play so I don't know if he's fast, but he's 6'4" with a Canadian mom.

Thanks, Santa!

So it turns out, no, he is not fast.

Do better, Santa.

58 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Again, has he ever played as a RCB in a back 3 for his club or college?

looked kind of lost at times out on the right .. He probably needs to be in a back 4 as he doesn't look like he has the pace to be on the wing.

Heardman did not do him any favours tonight.

7 hours ago, sose said:

looked kind of lost at times out on the right .. He probably needs to be in a back 4 as he doesn't look like he has the pace to be on the wing.

Heardman did not do him any favours tonight.

At 6’4” I could see him becoming the middle CB in a back 3 too. We need someone with more pace than Vitoria there, who can also dominate in the air like Vitoria does. He’s my best guess for that player in the future.

A back 3 is one of my favourite setups for its flexibility but it does require players to know the system well to work properly.  

Lots has been said about this guy after one game but in the end my basic read was he didn't really know his role.  

I know you want leadership amongst the three but Miller should be able to provide that in a position he knows very well.  Harsh on Vitoria, but McGraw needs to play where he will be going forward.

36 minutes ago, archer21 said:

At 6’4” I could see him becoming the middle CB in a back 3 too. We need someone with more pace than Vitoria there, who can also dominate in the air like Vitoria does. He’s my best guess for that player in the future.

I’m not even sure he has more pace than Vitoria does right now. Watching him at field level was pretty shocking - he really lumbers about

I feel we're being harsh.  It was his first game with us and this team.  Two of our senior guys also had horrible games (Vitoria & Osorio) yet they're getting free passes.  At least McGraw has an excuse.  I'm still feeling good about this addition and want to see him again.  Ideally in a back 4 which surely suits him and us better. 

Edited by costarg

55 minutes ago, costarg said:

I feel we're being harsh.  It was his first game with us and this team.  Two of our senior guys also had horrible games (Vitoria & Osorio) yet they're getting free passes.  At least McGraw has an excuse.  I'm still feeling good about this addition and want to see him again.  Ideally in a back 4 which surely suits him and us better. 

or at the very least play him in the middle of a back 3. He's not an outside CB. Btw Miller who is not fast either, was also to blame in Vitoria taking the yellow card that ended up in the equalizer.  The Guadeloupe player flew by Miller leaving Vitoria no option but to foul him. It's crazy that we continue to use slow CBs at RCB/LCB when we have Kennedy and now Bombito who both have the wheels to play there. 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

I don’t think Vitoria is getting a free pass.  I think most of us just don’t see much value in dragging a guy who is clearly in need of an exit strategy.  Last night was brutal.   

Plus they had Bombito playing in front of them, changes all over the field, I'm not surprised they looked disjointed and exposed at times.  Slotting McGraw into the RCB (compared to Johnston)..that was always going to be a tough go for him in his debut, mb Zator would have done better there and let McGraw get a game as the central CB.  Some things click and some dont eh?  After 20min Ahmed looked like he belonged out there and the defense.....not so much, but I'm glad we got so many new guys on the pitch.  In the future Herdman will have lots of chances to get McGraw into situations more suited to him, now that he has seen what exactly he can and cant do.  

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think Vitoria is getting a free pass.  I think most of us just don’t see much value in dragging a guy who is clearly in need of an exit strategy.  Last night was brutal.   

While I'm not about to support banishing Vitoria over one atrocious game, his haters will get their wish soon as he can't have much time left due to age. I personally appreciate all that he's done, but it is time to really get serious about our CBs. Just crossing my fingers there's a high-end dual nat out there that we're not aware of. 

Vitoria has haters??   I think the high end dual we werent aware of was McGraw, fell right into our lap by accident a month ago.  Seemingly a youngish big CB on the rise in MLS that could be a candidate to take over Vitorias spot some day.  And he has a couple years head start on Bombito in the maturity column.  

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Vitoria has haters??   I think the high end dual we werent aware of was McGraw, fell right into our lap by accident a month ago.  Seemingly a youngish big CB on the rise in MLS that could be a candidate to take over Vitorias spot some day.  And he has a couple years head start on Bombito in the maturity column.  

I really, desperately hope you're right. I felt fine with McGraw from the squad announcement to seeing him in the 11, but it was a truly disastrous performance yesterday.

@costarg is correct that McGraw has a valid excuse since it was his first game. He also played a different role (RCB) than accustomed to. But he gets another chance Saturday.

It's just the pace, lack of agility and ball watching that concern me. I'm not sure he'll ever get to a higher level than MLS or even really cement his place as a starting CB for us. If he does, then we'll still have problems at the back. I could be wrong, but that's my feeling. 

Edit: Just wanted to add that I'm not saying I've seen a lot of Vitoria haters on this board. It was more of a "if-there-are" comment. Like I said, I still think Vitoria is our best CB and has been an important player over the years. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

I will leave Bombito out of this, but for me McGraw, Heibert, McNaugton, Zator and Waterman are guys who raise our floor at CB - not our ceiling.

I don't think any of them have what it takes to emerge as a top CB choice, but that doesn't mean they aren't important for the program. If we had 1-2 top level CBs that would bump Miller and Kennedy down into this group, where they probably belong. As it stands though, at least 1 is going to be a starter for Canada this cycle. If that's Miller heading into the WC, at least he's got the experience under him this time around.  

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I will leave Bombito out of this, but for me McGraw, Heibert, McNaugton, Zator and Waterman are guys who raise our floor at CB - not our ceiling.

I don't think any of them have what it takes to emerge as a top CB choice, but that doesn't mean they aren't important for the program. If we had 1-2 top level CBs that would bump Miller and Kennedy down into this group, where they probably belong. As it stands though, at least 1 is going to be a starter for Canada this cycle. If that's Miller heading into the WC, at least he's got the experience under him this time around.  

Yeah, I think it’s this. At the absolute worst, we’re pretty much guaranteed to have two MLS starter level CBs with us at all time. I think McGraw’s game is particularly sustainable over the long term (doesn’t rely on athleticism), so he’s going to be an option for us probably for the next decade. 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Cornelius is definately top as of right now (healthy)

Kennedy (if stays healthy), can get better in my opinion and move up a level

Zator his lined up good performances after another in the right environment and helped his club avoid relegation - not sure he reached his ceiling yet

Bombito looks promising but I don't think it's the national team's job to develop a player at another position. Let the club do it and until he becomes a 6 - play him at bloody CB.

Unless Miller moves up, I think that's his ceiling and he slightly regressed at club level this year, not a great world cup either.

Too soon to tell for the rest. McGraw is sloooooow... can't use him in a formation he's not Familia with where guys are played out of position.