Zac McGraw

Atlantic

I haven't seen him play yet, current market value is $500k, his CB partner is at $1.5m so he has good support next to him. Got curious so started comparing on transfermarkt since i don't have much to go by and was a bit of a cold shower:

Miler 4m
Waterman 2.5m
McNaughton 1.5m
Hiebert 1.5m
Cornelius 800k
Kennedy 600k
McGraw 500k
Henry 500k
Vitoria 100k

I know transfermarkt isn't always the most reliable measuring stick, but it's useful in getting an idea.

Anyone see him play regularly?  What are we getting here, depth or starter?

On 6/2/2023 at 9:36 AM, Jack1997 said:

Yea CB depth chart looks the best it’s ever been

Cornelius

Vitoria

Miller

Kennedy

McGraw?

Zator

Heibert 

Bombito

Mcnaugton

Waterman

Then you have a guy like AJ who can play there maybe even Tomori? (I know it’s not possible but just the thought makes me happy) and even our CB prospects like Campagana, Smith, Knight-Lebel and in my opinion the best of the bunch Stefanovic who has started every game in next pro as a 16 year old. With that group of guys one player on Davies, David, Buchanan, Kone, Eustaqio level at CB would really complete this team, it could’ve and maybe still could be Tomori but it seems very possible someone like Stefanovic or Smith will become that guy.

Revisiting this depth assessment.

Waterman's Transfermarkt value is 5x McGraw's, which is to be taken with a grain of salt of course - but he would be in the middle of this list for me, below Kennedy.

This guy is 6’4” and 200 lbs.  I won’t pretend I have watched him play but those are great physical attributes for a CB.  While our depth has increased a bit recently I would say that there is still an opportunity for someone to grab a starting spot.  
- Miller can be hot and cold

- Kennedy has injury issues (and didn’t dominate B2 in the way we hoped)

- Henry is probably done

- Vitoria has a limited number of years left and while he currently seems to be defying the age limit in Atiba-like fashion, 2026 is a whole other issue 

- Waterman isn’t showing that he will be ultra reliable

- Hiebert is still a bit of an unknown quantity

- Cornelius doesn’t seem to have earned Herdman’s trust yet.  

The depth is there, but aside from Vitoria (whose status in 2026 is questionable) no one has locked down a starting CB spot.  This is a huge opportunity.  

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

I haven't seen him play yet, current market value is $500k, his CB partner is at $1.5m so he has good support next to him. Got curious so started comparing on transfermarkt since i don't have much to go by and was a bit of a cold shower:

Miler 4m
Waterman 2.5m
McNaughton 1.5m
Hiebert 1.5m
Cornelius 800k
Kennedy 600k
McGraw 500k
Henry 500k
Vitoria 100k

I know transfermarkt isn't always the most reliable measuring stick, but it's useful in getting an idea.

I take those numbers with a pretty big grain of salt.  I am really skeptical of the idea that Waterman is worth $2.5M.  Same with McNaughton at $1.5M.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I take those numbers with a pretty big grain of salt.  I am really skeptical of the idea that Waterman is worth $2.5M.  Same with McNaughton at $1.5M.  

Agree but I certainly rate Waterman over McNaughton by a long shot.

What's the rationale of McGraw over Hiebert? McGraw has a lot more MLS experience, though Hiebert is having the better season. They're about a month apart in age, so roughly the same age, Hiebert plays on a much better team for now too. Wouldn't be too against the idea of McGraw over KH if the idea is just to take a look at another depth piece and see what he has to offer, but if we're building a roster at our best, I feel like Hiebert gets a look over McGraw.

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

If this is accurate, then:

(Aidan Morris still listed as US international)image.png.0911ba26aef404f6df56a5008d5174a0.png

Is this new or has it always been like that? Because no offense to McGraw or Morris but this would be the biggest of the 3

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Miler 4m
Waterman 2.5m
McNaughton 1.5m
Hiebert 1.5m
Cornelius 800k
Kennedy 600k
McGraw 500k
Henry 500k
Vitoria 100k

I think it's too early to comment on whether he is depth/starter for us. Looks like he's only played 15 MLS games. I watched him play in the first half of his last game.  Early takeaways:  a defense first CB, very physical, strong in the air and appears to be  solid on tackles. He's not slow for his size but again need to watch him more to say if he's fast or not.

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Exactly my point.  That being said, both of them have looked good if you look at select clips and games, yet equally not good in others.  So is that along the lines of what we're getting with McGraw or is he underestimated on Transfermarkt?

Another way of looking at it is Waterman has the bipolar and unstable Camacho next to him.  No one can or will look good next to Camacho cause he is literally all over the place.  McNaughton wasn't exactly surrounded by talent at TFC either, so perhaps they'd be much better if they were on different teams.  

2 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Is this new or has it always been like that? Because no offense to McGraw or Morris but this would be the biggest of the 3

No clue, but I wonder if transfermarkt defaults to the senior team that called the player up. Neither McGraw or Jebbison were called up by the US or England and both have been called for Canada, so technically by default they’re Canadian senior internationals and will be until they reject us or play senior for their other countries. Same with Koleosho who is listed as a Canadian international despite it just being announced that he’ll play with Italy’s U19s. Just speculation.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

No clue, but I wonder if transfermarkt defaults to the senior team that called the player up. Neither McGraw or Jebbison were called up by the US or England and both have been called for Canada, so technically by default they’re Canadian senior internationals and will be until they reject us or play senior for their other countries. Same with Koleosho who is listed as a Canadian international despite it just being announced that he’ll play with Italy’s U19s. Just speculation.

Yes, Aidan Morris also shows up on the CANMNT list, however listed as a US current national in his profile.  

3 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Have the Portland game on in the background and there was just a pretty big scrum where he kept his composure and was focused on keeping his teammates away from trouble. Good leadership from a relatively green pro.

Canadian peacekeeper you might say? 

7 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

Have the Portland game on in the background and there was just a pretty big scrum where he kept his composure and was focused on keeping his teammates away from trouble. Good leadership from a relatively green pro.

So you’re saying he’s our future captain?