Zac McGraw

Atlantic

7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I agree although we have ZBG who is fantastic going forward too. Hasn't had the best of seasons though. Another one Herdman seems very hesitant on playing. 

Which is a shame he isnt more trusted. If Herdman thought he could contribute more, than we could have ahmed in midfield, laryea and ZBG outwide. ZBG looked pretty bad against guatamala though.  

2 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Which is a shame he isnt more trusted. If Herdman thought he could contribute more, than we could have ahmed in midfield, laryea and ZBG outwide. ZBG looked pretty bad against guatamala though.  

The thing to keep in mind with ZBG is that he isn't exactly more trusted at club level either. I get he's had these really good flashes, but he's been a bench player for multiple CF Montreal coaches already, Montreal had an opening at RB this season and instead of giving it to ZBG they actually went and acquired the guy who played RB for Guatemala in last week's game, funny enough. He's fine but I don't think him not playing is a Herdman thing, he's just not that guy.

12 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

The thing to keep in mind with ZBG is that he isn't exactly more trusted at club level either. I get he's had these really good flashes, but he's been a bench player for multiple CF Montreal coaches already, Montreal had an opening at RB this season and instead of giving it to ZBG they actually went and acquired the guy who played RB for Guatemala in last week's game, funny enough. He's fine but I don't think him not playing is a Herdman thing, he's just not that guy.

I've always liked him but I've also always felt that there were some gaps in his game that held him back somewhat.  I'd take him on the Caps.

Interestingly enough, the maligned Herrera was arguably Guatemala's best player vs us.

2 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

McGraw is growing on me. If you're a perfect CB you make millions and play on a top side; everyone else has warts and pace is probably the most common. 

We can carry one hulk defender without pace but not more than that. I think he is an important depth piece and with Vitoria sadly on his way out he is height and physical presence.

Time for Neville and Shaw to earn their money by improving our backline.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, narduch said:

Savarese is out as Portland manager.

Miles Joseph is the interim.

Well, they got destroyed 5-0 by Houston over the weekend.

https://www.timbers.com/news/timbers-lose-5-0-on-the-road-to-houston-dynamo-fc

McGraw actually missed that match as he is out with a non-COVID illness.

https://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/2023/08/portland-timbers-at-houston-dynamo-3-points-to-watch-bryan-acostas-debut-health-updates-climbing-the-standings.html

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

7 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Bad turnover by his teammate, but McGraw got absolutely torched on Seattle's second goal tonight:

This is the stuff I have nightmares about when he plays at the back for us. The lack of pace is a real concern, especially when playing a high line. 

I don’t see this as getting torched. His opponent was already going full speed after a brutal turnover by his teammate. 

15 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

I don’t see this as getting torched. His opponent was already going full speed after a brutal turnover by his teammate. 

Exactly my opinion. In fact, he has to hold the line and if anything it's the other CB who has to cover in behind.

I find there's an excess zeal to hammer away at our own players on this board. Often very unfairly.

13 minutes ago, cronaldo7 said:

Fair point about his man already going full speed. The reaction, though, was just too slow. Look at the time it takes him to turn and track back.

When you see the play developing and there being no possible way you can catch them offside since the play is in front of you and in the opposing half, it's OK to drop back a bit.

Watch what he does at the third second in the clip. If he was a bit deeper instead of pushing forward when the ball was played laterally, he would have had more time to react. 

5 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Exactly my opinion. In fact, he has to hold the line and if anything it's the other CB who has to cover in behind.

I find there's an excess zeal to hammer away at our own players on this board. Often very unfairly.

This is not my intention at all. I'm looking at his pace and expressing genuine concern. 

Just now, DeRo_Is_King said:

This is not my intention at all. I'm looking at his pace and expressing genuine concern. 

I'm more bothered by those taking digs at Kamal when he's performing at the level of guys beside him like Alba and Busquets.

In any case, do you know how fast that Seattle striker is? Very, relatively, not at all? I have no idea. But fact is once he was past with his head start he didn't pull away, in fact McGraw was near him and had to break to not foul him and get a red.

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm more bothered by those taking digs at Kamal when he's performing at the level of guys beside him like Alba and Busquets.

In any case, do you know how fast that Seattle striker is? Very, relatively, not at all? I have no idea. But fact is once he was past with his head start he didn't pull away, in fact McGraw was near him and had to break to not foul him and get a red.

Having the chance to play alongside Messi, Alba and Busquets is great experience for Kamal, and from what I've observed, he is holding a starting spot down. So, I find that impressive. Not sure what others are saying. 

Regarding Chu, of course he has wheels. But that's often the case with wingers. Defenders need to be ready to deal with that. McGraw is not agile or fast, and by running into the opposing half, he put himself in a worse position to defend. 

7 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

It looks like he’s just moving to create a passing lane, considering they were comfortably in possession 

And if the entire line has pushed up to the centre line, that's obviously the tactic. Force all the strikers back as well. As the junior CB for me 100% he's following the other CB, he's not running the line. 

I follow a team (FCB) that has rarely had fast CBs, we've even had slow ones like Koeman or Marquez, because we prize possession and positioning. It's obviously hard to play that way. Then we had keepers who were excellent one on one if exposed, like Victor Valdes. Any playing style needs the right pieces and to be trained, Canada with this or that player will be no different.

5 minutes ago, Aird25 said:
1 hour ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Watch what he does at the third second in the clip. If he was a bit deeper instead of pushing forward when the ball was played laterally, he would have had more time to react. 

It looks like he’s just moving to create a passing lane, considering they were comfortably in possession

They didn't look comfortable, imo. It was a poor decision to make that lateral pass into the middle, which is what started the goal. I am not faulting McGraw for that.

But he was drawn out of position to provide a passing option on a play that was already risky. 

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And if the entire line has pushed up to the centre line, that's obviously the tactic. Force all the strikers back as well. As the junior CB for me 100% he's following the other CB, he's not running the line. 

I follow a team (FCB) that has rarely had fast CBs, we've even had slow ones like Koeman or Marquez, because we prize possession and positioning. It's obviously hard to play that way. Then we had keepers who were excellent one on one if exposed, like Victor Valdes. Any playing style needs the right pieces and to be trained, Canada with this or that player will be no different.

Agree with you, except he moved past the centre line and the striker did not retreat. This is because the initial pass into the middle was a dangerous one and it did not look like Portland would retain possession. Also, there's no way the striker could have been offside, so there was no point for him to move.

Edited by DeRo_Is_King