Zac McGraw

Atlantic

5 hours ago, Nate3322 said:

Yeah I'd like to see McGraw start alongside Miller. Frankly we need a tall CB (outside of Vitoria) to compensate for the fact Miller is quite poor in the air. 

The problem with Miller is he is both poor in the air and slow. It’s not a good combination to be an elite center back especially in a 2.  I think the back 3 with him, Vitoria and Johnson mostly worked as Vitoria was in the center so could control the six yard box in the air, they were hard nose defenders and generally good with their feet and as there were 3 of them back there they generally covered for each other’s lack of pace. Although the Belgian march (among others) showed how that could easily be exposed.  And Johnson was frequently exposed in the air. But it was the best we could do with the parts we had. 

I'm really curious to not only see how ZMG, Miller and Crepeau partner defensively, but also in distribution out of the back as well.  Fact is, playing out of a press is not something Max or Zac are known for, and even Miller has had his moments back there under pressure.  I wonder if the Timbers will adjust to accommodate that (and by extension, CMNT as well).

12 hours ago, GasPed said:

I'm really curious to not only see how ZMG, Miller and Crepeau partner defensively, but also in distribution out of the back as well.  Fact is, playing out of a press is not something Max or Zac are known for, and even Miller has had his moments back there under pressure.  I wonder if the Timbers will adjust to accommodate that (and by extension, CMNT as well).

I know that Zac has a reputation for not being great on the ball, but what I saw with Canada was a guy who was (at times) willing to play short and pass through lines, so that's positive. I was expecting far worse when I heard his reputation, but for Canada I didn't find he was terrible with his distribution. Seemed to know his limits and tried to play if time and space allowed.

You watch some players (I will pick on Donavan pines, ex DCU center back) and they have no business even trying to play through lines. They have no technical ability and no composure and you even wonder how they made it as a pro. That's not Zac in my eyes. I don't see him as a "Tronco" as the Mexicans say, although the Mexicans would probably say that about him (and most North American players).

Point being is that I am hopeful he can improve on the ball. This will only his 3rd season as a pro. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Pulled after 45 yesterday. Highlights below. It's easy to say he could have done better defending the first one (at 30 seconds), but that was a random and wild cross. No excuse on the second goal (at 2:14):

Whitecaps attacked really well for a number of spells in that game and should have been out of sight if their finishing was better - so he and bunch of others looked poor. Vancouver created  problems with mostly speed not height and strength and he is the slowest, so probably a reasonable scapegoat.

Lots of really nice Canadian content on display, almost none of it defensive.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Miller diving in and getting skinned by Schopf allowing him an easy cut back and cross on the one off the bar in the 9th minute was disconcerting and reminded me of a Doneil Henry "hero" challenge.

McGraw got killed by Gauld on that play too. Pretended to slow down for a pull back pass then ran right by McGraw. My favourite was Miller throwing the ball at Raposo after the winning goal.

7 minutes ago, archer21 said:

McGraw got killed by Gauld on that play too. Pretended to slow down for a pull back pass then ran right by McGraw. My favourite was Miller throwing the ball at Raposo after the winning goal.

I only saw the highlights put it looks like all three Cancon in the defensive triad looked shaky.  

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Miller diving in and getting skinned by Schopf allowing him an easy cut back and cross on the one off the bar in the 9th minute was disconcerting and reminded me of a Doneil Henry "hero" challenge.

For sure. I noticed this as well and cringed. I still think Miller is one of our better defenders, but he looked terrible on that play. 

8 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I only saw the highlights put it looks like all three Cancon in the defensive triad looked shaky.  

A few of us called it early on. It’s great to have three Canadians playing together in such a critical setup week in and out. However Miller/McGraw is not a good mix. They don’t complement each other in any way. Neither is a leader, neither is quick. I don’t see how Portland finishes the year with this duo with successful results. Unfortunate. 

6 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

For sure. I noticed this as well and cringed. I still think Miller is one of our better defenders, but he looked terrible on that play. 

It's not the first time that he has gone to ground too early and got burned.  When he stays on his feet he is a tougher guy to elude.

McGraw definitely had a poor game.  Kamal wasn’t much better to be honest and I think Crepeau probably wishes he could have that 3rd one back.  I know Portland has pulled some results early this season but I think it could be a long season for this trio.

On 4/1/2024 at 2:40 AM, BearcatSA said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Max looks like he's pudged up a bit, in a Richard Brodeur kind of way?

Caps have been lively and hardworking so far this season, and they've got lots of good pieces to work with, but they've had moments where they let their opponents back into games, and they need to address this fast.  Might be that a high tempo team like this needs to bring on subs a bit sooner. Having said that, I like what I'm seeing. Happy to see Sam back on the pitch. I am loving watching Ahmed grow into a really good footballer. Raposo has also had some nice moments.

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Am I the only one who thinks that Max looks like he's pudged up a bit, in a Richard Brodeur kind of way?

I agree, in the Vancouver game he looked a bit heavy. 

When a player has a ligament or tendon injury, they'll often increase muscle mass around it (a knee for example), as a way of protecting it from future problems. I sort of thought this could be Akinola's problem. But in the case of Maxime, he broke a leg, but the heaviness is his torso, it seems.

Haven't watched enough to know if it affects his agility. The modern keeper is often as lean as a tall lithe winger.

Not in the squad today, so I assume he was injured when pulled last match.  Portland gave up another 3 today without him, so at least he can't be blamed for all their defensive issues.  Crepeau and Miller not hitting their highs yet either.