Zac McGraw

Atlantic

Montreal are winning against Portland and, and in one sense, that's made even better because Zac McGraw is not in squad due to a right knee contusion.

I haven't checked the stats but Portland seem to defend better when he is on the pitch.

Wishing him a swift recovery.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Montreal are winning against Portalnd and even better Zac McGraw is not in squad due to a right knee contusion.

I have checked the stats but Portland seem to defend better when he is on the pitch.

CFM helping his case by putting 3 past the keeper tonight.  Hope he isn't out too long.

Anyone know if the injury is the reason he wasn't called vs Japan?  

Edited by costarg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 8:59 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Zac McGraw is not in squad due to a right knee contusion.

Wishing him a swift recovery.

https://www.yardbarker.com/general_sports/articles/amp/timbers_simple_formula_beat_dynamo_make_playoffs/s1_17064_39418331

Looks like he has recovered and should be available to play today. 💪

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

I think McGraw is underrated and will be great for the program if he stays healthy. He is top 2% in the league in terms of defensive actions and top 10% for aerial duels.

image.png.8514df508e653d8123ed5fb47f559785.png  

I don't have his Gold Cup stats but he didn't feel as dangerous as those stats suggest.

That's the thing about a team with many new guys with little time to practice together before a major tournament. He might look very different if you stuck him in our ideal starting XI (let's assume a straight swap, Vitória for McGraw).

On 9/3/2023 at 3:59 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm more bothered by those taking digs at Kamal when he's performing at the level of guys beside him like Alba and Busquets.

In any case, do you know how fast that Seattle striker is? Very, relatively, not at all? I have no idea. But fact is once he was past with his head start he didn't pull away, in fact McGraw was near him and had to break to not foul him and get a red.

Chu is pretty damn quick.

McGrew improved in his final match at the Gold Cup compared to his opener, so to me he merits monitoring if he is consistently working alongside Miller at club level this season.

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, nolando said:

If he's going to partner Miller all season, in front of Crepeau no less, and with any degree of success, I would think that trio would be a lock to start for Canada for the foreseeable future. I mean, why wouldn’t they?

Salivating at the idea of having a trio familiar with each other at the back like that.  Carrying over that familiarity to CANMNT would be a yuge advantage and step forward.

35 minutes ago, costarg said:

Salivating at the idea of having a trio familiar with each other at the back like that.  Carrying over that familiarity to CANMNT would be a yuge advantage and step forward.

I love the idea of familiarity but that CB duo is overall too slow and and really not even big enough to play 2 at the back.

From what I have seen (and maybe Mcgraw can improve) but either can be destroyed in isolation by a centre forward with an even above average combination of height and pace. 

1 hour ago, nolando said:

If he's going to partner Miller all season, in front of Crepeau no less, and with any degree of success, I would think that trio would be a lock to start for Canada for the foreseeable future. I mean, why wouldn’t they?

Would be the obvious thing to do......so expect NOT to see it. 

14 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I love the idea of familiarity but that CB duo is overall too slow and and really not even big enough to play 2 at the back.

From what I have seen (and maybe Mcgraw can improve) but either can be destroyed in isolation by a centre forward with an even above average combination of height and pace. 

6' miller and 6' 4" ZMG. Idk if theres many guys who are better compliments to miller in terms of height/aerially ability. If this combination is too weak in the air, then we need to drop miller from any back 4. 

As for pace, you are way too accurate on this. Just pray the opposition doesnt play any long balls in behind. In a back 3, we can hide vitorias pace a bit (and hes alot better at recognizing danger earlier than ZMG) with AJ and miller running channels. Miller still got caught out quite a bit with long balls(belguim etc). Its a scary prospect having jamaicas attack running behind zmg and miller....

18 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Ya, it isn't my preferred duo either, but its still a good thing and better than anything we have going at the moment.

But I think you're underestimating McGraw's "air game".  He's powerful and dominant in the air.  

17 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Good point, but the counter argument would be that IF we see them compensating and making it work in MLS, there's no reason to think they couldn't do it internationally. But on the other hand, if that duo gets exposed in MLS, we know it won't be good enough for Canada. 

Also, I should add, I would plug a LDF in there for McGraw instead if he's breaking through at Fulham, but that seems like a season away at least. 

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

Ya, it isn't my preferred duo either, but its still a good thing and better than anything we have going at the moment.

But I think you're underestimating McGraw's "air game".  He's powerful and dominant in the air.  

I absolutely agree, so far he hasn't has the pace and/or nous to get into positions to use it enough (for us) - in my view.

We did him a great diservice playing him as the RCB in a three.  But he improved over the Gold Cup, he could be our best option in the centre of a 3 going forward.  If we go that way. Vitoria has about 10 years of experience on him (and a couple inches), for instance, so he can certainly get smarter. 

In a three, with ideal development, I could see Cornelius, McGraw, and one the English kids. (de Fougerolles - so far - is made to be a wide CB, not big enough for a 2 but great on the ball with decent pace.)

In a two, it would be Cornelius and Knight-Lebel - if both continue to develop.  

Either way we are dependent on somebody becoming the leader/organizer back there, while having better than glacial pace. 

I think ZMG is way too slow to be a significant piece with us against good teams- he would be a prime halftime sub candidate in every game he plays. That said, if him and Miller, especially in front of Crepeau, and especially if Neville adopted some of Herdman's tactics that Biello in return is also using with the CANMNT, I'm a lot more confident in calling up ZMG ahead of a lot of our borderline guys. The next time we have to call in a B-squad/MLS based roster, I would have him ahead of Waterman, Hiebert, so on, if he isn't there already. At this point though, Miller is a top MLS CB, Crepeau is one of the best keepers in the league, if ZMG can hold his own with those guys, that means he'll probably be one of the best CBs in MLS which is always good to have in our back pocket. Wouldn't be the worst set up for concacaf games on terrible pitches where it's less about speed and more about just frustrating the other team.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Good point, but the counter argument would be that IF we see them compensating and making it work in MLS, there's no reason to think they couldn't do it internationally. But on the other hand, if that duo gets exposed in MLS, we know it won't be good enough for Canada. 

Agreed, let's see how they do together in MLS to start off the season.