Moise Bombito

phresh

This dude was a big get for the program.   Kudos to Herdman and co for recognizing his potential early and making him a priority target.  I don’t care about his age - he is making a strong argument to be a starter for us right now.  If you are good enough you are old enough.  Big, strong, fast, and clearly skilled.   Pretty exciting player to basically emerge out of obscurity just over a year ago.   To put it in perspective, the first post in this thread was 15 months ago.   

4 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Hopefully he turns out as good as many on here think he will be. Really think we are jumping the gun on him. One goal does not a career make.

Not just about one goal.  In fact, that is a minor factor for me.  He has been highly rated over the 4 games he has played this season with Colorado.  He has the physical traits to be at least an excellent MLS-level player, and he has locked down a starting CB spot at the age of 24.   None of that means he will be a world beater but in the context of our MLS CBs, there is no one that seems to have better potential.   

3 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Hopefully he turns out as good as many on here think he will be. Really think we are jumping the gun on him. One goal does not a career make.

True, but sounds like he has been solid defensively in the games he's played this season as well. It's his raw ability and physical attributes of height & speed that is intoxicating. A  CB with great pace, height and ability on the ball?

23 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

The goal has nothing to do with it. Try to watch a Colorado game. I don't expect goals from our CB's. It is his defensive play that has us raving. In my mind, he has already jumped a bunch of Canadian CB's.

If he doesn't get hurt and continues to play like this.....i expect he is starting at Copa

Edited by blueseeka

25 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Couldn’t care less about his goal if i’m being honest. I want the guy cause he’s a 6’4” CB who is comfortable on the ball and positions himself well.

edit: forgot to mention, quick! 

Edited by costarg

12 hours ago, blueseeka said:

The goal has nothing to do with it. Try to watch a Colorado game. I don't expect goals from our CB's. It is his defensive play that has us raving. In my mind, he has already jumped a bunch of Canadian CB's.

If he doesn't get hurt and continues to play like this.....i expect he is starting at Copa

Yeah, that goal literally has zero implications for his prospects as a starting CB for Canada.  Showed fantastic pace on that chase down run.  

12 hours ago, costarg said:

Couldn’t care less about his goal if i’m being honest. I want the guy cause he’s a 6’4” CB who is comfortable on the ball and positions himself well.

edit: forgot to mention, quick! 

I would add an occasional beauty of a pass to the praise.

If continues as he started and it will be criminal to not see him in the friendl(ies).  

13 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

While I agree that many on here may be overly eager for Bombito to pan out (mainly due to our dearth of athletic CBs), there is a lot to like from what we’ve seen out of him so far.

A good half-season from Bombito may be enough to boost him into a starter role at Copa America, which says less about him and more about the state of our defenders.

1 hour ago, RS said:

While I agree that many on here may be overly eager for Bombito to pan out (mainly due to our dearth of athletic CBs), there is a lot to like from what we’ve seen out of him so far.

A good half-season from Bombito may be enough to boost him into a starter role at Copa America, which says less about him and more about the state of our defenders.

Well, he is making a break through and that is good to see.  I really like his athleticism but so much about defending (and central defending, in particular) is about reading-anticipating-and-reacting.  Watching Blackmon switch off on two goals against in consecutive games for the Caps is the sort of stuff I am talking about.  And, as with Gavran, as the player accumulates starts, you see the growth but sometimes (but hopefully not) the concerns.

Herdman had a good eye for young talent and he didn't wait to see how the player would do in the next season. If the individual  displayed a high level and/or a skill set that the team was missing, that was good enough. Kone, Bombito & Ahmed are 3 players that fell into that category. Despite his inexperience, Bombito doesn't have a high bar to surpass for CB. I'm not being disrespectful, just honest.

I get the upside but my point was mostly that the kid has 13 career starts and some of us get a little carried away when the new girl cones to the dance. His physical tools are amazing and if he becomes a MLS best 11 CB like Zimmerman or Robinson he will solidify our back line for potentially a decade. Make no Tomori much easier to take. But let the kid prove he can play at this level at the very least. Waterman and McNaughton already start week in and week out in this league and no one thinks they are the saviours to our back line.  Reminds me when we discovered Kennedy (who I still rate and would put over the MLS guys above) and even when healthy now he is an afterthought.

42 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

I get the upside but my point was mostly that the kid has 13 career starts and some of us get a little carried away when the new girl cones to the dance. His physical tools are amazing and if he becomes a MLS best 11 CB like Zimmerman or Robinson he will solidify our back line for potentially a decade. Make no Tomori much easier to take. But let the kid prove he can play at this level at the very least. Waterman and McNaughton already start week in and week out in this league and no one thinks they are the saviours to our back line.  Reminds me when we discovered Kennedy (who I still rate and would put over the MLS guys above) and even when healthy now he is an afterthought.

I mean, Waterman literally just started a must win game for us. I get your point, but I think Bombito is clearly already making a case to be in our starting XI. Probably speaks more to our lack of quality at the position, but that’s where we are right now. If people are expecting him to suddenly be jumping to a top 5 league or something, I’d get your point more, but I think the excitement is justified. 

No denying he has quickly lived up to the hype and gotten himself into the conversation.  He is having a breakout year so far, but that still just makes him into a pretty good MLS CB....like Miller, Waterman, Mcnaughton, McGraw.  Of all those guys he seems like the one that could go on to be a lot more, but lets have one good MLS season first... 

This reminds me of the Gavran thread.....yes yes very exciting and great for us fans to have new guys burst into the scene, LOVE IT... but lets give it a full season eh??  Even if he becomes TFC starter, that still only puts him on a level playing field with St Clair, Sirois, and still below Crepeau (experience).  

Bombito was injured at the start of last season but did play in MLS in 2023 although mostly at FB. He was called up to GC23 based on his performances last year, where he got decent mins. So it's not just his 5/6 games this year, albeit he is playing at CB only. How many MLS games did Kone play before he was called to the CMNT and played in WCQ? The other MLS CBs that we have are all around the same level +/- . Bombito has the attributes to push way past that level, just like Kone did. To me he should start in our next game.

23 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

I’ve been high on him since he debuted because you rarely see athletes his size move as well as he does. His footwork and quickness are impressive for his frame. The parts his game that need developing can, in theory, be coached or learned through experience. Who knows if he will put it all together but let’s face it, we have no world class centre backs at the moment. Bombito for me has the most upside.

I also believe a major priority for this team needs to be addressing set pieces. When you’re at a talent deficit, which we most often will be, you need to be set piece dominant. For this reason, I prefer Bombito to be involved, and to an extent, McGraw as well.

A few of you have said it already, but I think what has us optimistic about Bombito is that he's still relatively young for a CB and his upside seems far greater than that of McGraw, McNaughton, and Waterman.  A big part of this, let's all be honest, is his pace. 

Not get ahead of things here, but some nice prospects coming "out of nowhere" in MLS for us over the the past few years: Buchanan; Kone; Ahmed; Bombito. They all have plenty of growing and learning to do, but these are all exciting prospects. Maybe Shaff, Rowe and a few others emerge, including JMR. 

Now, give us some cash to settle the CSA's financial woes, and then a manager who can help this young program take the next step.

Im very excited for Bombito and I would probably be starting him in the back myself.  That’s how highly I rate him (or how poorly I rate our centre backs).  Not including Cornelius and our young prospects in Europe.  Just from our MLS Center backs, I already have him ahead of McGraw & Hiebert and similar level to MacNaughton.  I am okay with having Waterman and Kamal ahead of him right now because he’s so early into his professional career.  But I do think he could be our unanimous best MLS CB even by the end of the season.  My feelings are similar to Gavran.  Probably too soon into his professional career to be replacing some of our MLS goalies but I could see Gavran by the end of this year or next year as one of our top MLS goalies.  Sirios and Gavran could be a great duo for us for the next decade.  Maybe Goodman or McGill breaks through in Europe as well.

Edited by Corazon