Moise Bombito

phresh

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think they’re a good and increasingly better argument that he might actually be our best CB not based on potential, but right this second. He’s in the conversation for best CB in MLS this year, and then I guess it becomes a question of what is more impressive- that or being one of the top CBs in Sweden with a league title and national cup under your belt. I think he should get every opportunity to start until he provides he can’t handle it.

re: next club, there’s not really that much to go off of wrt young, but not prospect-age centre backs going from MLS to Europe. It’s either guys like Chris Richards and Matt Miazga going to Bayern and Chelsea as teenagers, or guys making a lateral move in their prime. I think Auston Trusty’s path is the most similar- transferee to Arsenal at 23 (from Colorado too), immediately loaned back, then loaned to Birmingham, then signed with Sheffield this season- his numbers don’t look too good, though none of their players’ do, but he is a premier league starter, at least for the next few weeks.

I think Bombito now is better than Trusty was when he was bought, so it’ll probably be different, but if/when he does move, I think the championship is a reasonable next step. Maybe France if a team takes a big flyer. 

I think the point has to be that against Netherlands, France and Argentina, our whole team should suffer like hell and even if our backline were solid journeymen playing in top leagues at Crystal Palace, Hofffenheim or Getafe, we should not be surprised to see our CBs embarrassed. 

The miracle on grass is that with Vitoria, Miller and Johnston in a back three we won Concacaf and went to a World Cup, how did we do that? 

For me, Cornelius is at a higher level and is more proven, but I am willing to take that step forward and try a new combination. As for the friendlies, for example, we can't play everyone twice in 72 hours, we might as well try a few things. 

12 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

He is doing what he needs to do at club level and shpuld get starting minutes in the friendlies againat tough opponents who bring sophisticated individual and tactical attacking skillsets that challenge off the ball marking.  I am very excited for him and how he does.

If he is in our Copa America squad he needs to be in our starting 11

23 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think the point has to be that against Netherlands, France and Argentina, our whole team should suffer like hell and even if our backline were solid journeymen playing in top leagues at Crystal Palace, Hofffenheim or Getafe, we should not be surprised to see our CBs embarrassed. 

The miracle on grass is that with Vitoria, Miller and Johnston in a back three we won Concacaf and went to a World Cup, how did we do that? 

For me, Cornelius is at a higher level and is more proven, but I am willing to take that step forward and try a new combination. As for the friendlies, for example, we can't play everyone twice in 72 hours, we might as well try a few things. 

I don’t think we will necessarily “suffer”- we pulled off respectable results against Belgium and Morocco who are just as good as any of those teams (though I don’t expect a single win obviously). I think Cornelius and Bombito are the future here. For quick turnaround between matches, I expect Miller to get his minutes, AJ to turn in his shift too, but I think both DC and Bombito need to start, whether a back 4 or 3.

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Bombito and Kamal Miller should be the center back partnership 

I've been watching Kamal quite a bit lately, he hasn't looked very convincing.  Not sure what is up, perhaps a part of it is a bad fit/partnership between he and MacGraw, but even on the one on ones without MacGraw in the picture he just doesn't look very solid or dominant.  He looks slower and frustrated.  Perhaps he's being asked to do too much with a leaky midfield?  Either way, I feel Cornelius is playing better and with more confidence.  Now it just comes down to who forms the best partnership at CANMNT.  My money today is on Bombito and Cornelius.

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don’t think we will necessarily “suffer”- we pulled off respectable results against Belgium and Morocco who are just as good as any of those teams (though I don’t expect a single win obviously). I think Cornelius and Bombito are the future here. For quick turnaround between matches, I expect Miller to get his minutes, AJ to turn in his shift too, but I think both DC and Bombito need to start, whether a back 4 or 3.

We were prepared for Belgium, and played way over our heads. We are not prepared for Netherlands and France, and we are most likely to get beaten handily. We don't even have a sure coach, and the roster is not fixed, and I seriously doubt our core group is prepping online and the like, the way we did before Qatar.

My point in any case, is that I don't agree that we are going to get a good test for Bombito, or even fair assessment of a pairing with Cornelius, in these two matches. They may be just fine for playing vs. the US and Mexico, but could be embarrassed vs. either of these two rivals. Other teams our level, say an Austria or Greece, could have a similar experience, losing by a couple goals to Netherlands or France with them at home.

Only if we do exceptionally well, with the CBs part of that, will be be able to say maybe this is a good combination going forward.

Don't have the Apple package but from game highlights Bombito keeps getting better and better as the season rolls along. Colorado is a surprise this season.  However, Minnesota is the real surprise and the young Cdn striker Oluwaseyi has been superb.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We were prepared for Belgium, and played way over our heads. We are not prepared for Netherlands and France, and we are most likely to get beaten handily. We don't even have a sure coach, and the roster is not fixed, and I seriously doubt our core group is prepping online and the like, the way we did before Qatar.

My point in any case, is that I don't agree that we are going to get a good test for Bombito, or even fair assessment of a pairing with Cornelius, in these two matches. They may be just fine for playing vs. the US and Mexico, but could be embarrassed vs. either of these two rivals. Other teams our level, say an Austria or Greece, could have a similar experience, losing by a couple goals to Netherlands or France with them at home.

Only if we do exceptionally well, with the CBs part of that, will be be able to say maybe this is a good combination going forward.

Depends what you mean by beaten soundly. I can see, and I would take 1-3 against France for example. It’s decisive, but we held our own. Same against Netherlands or Argentina. Saudi Arabia beat prime Argentina, perhaps we can get lucky and keep it close.

I agree re: idea of pairing, but for me, it’s more about individual plays for Bombito. If he can keep pace with Mbappe and make one good tackle that makes for a nice social media post and a boost in his stock, I’m more than happy. That said, I think if DC and Bombito can keep us from making stupid mistakes near our net, it’ll say a lot. Won’t give up on them if they play poorly, but I’ll certainly buy in if they play great. 

18 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If he can keep pace with Mbappe and make one good tackle that makes for a nice social media post and a boost in his stock, I’m more than happy.

I don't think Eustaquio sharing the social media posts of his nutmeg of De Bruyne is having much impact on the Porto coaching staff...