Moise Bombito

phresh

When Kennedy started vs Suriname? and the 2 games vs Haiti in WCQ, his pace made a significant difference on the left side of defence. I don't think we ever got beat on route 1 passes down the left flank. I'm looking forward to seeing how Bombito's pace can change the overall play of our defence. Too bad Scott can't stay healthy as we would have  2 CBs with height & pace.  Massive test for Bombito and the rest of the D coming up.

Only watched this highlight package paying special attention to Bombito and I thought his defensive awareness was not totally convincing.

The give and go between Acosta and Baird on Cincinnati's first goal goes right around Bombito. It is a nice play, so I'm not sure how much blame he gets for this one.

At 3:38 in the video, after the Colorado turnover, the team is not perfectly positioned defensively, so Bombito should follow Kubo there when he makes that run. I'm not sure if he is trying to play offside there, or just ball watching too much.

On Cincy's second goal, Bombito is tracking Baird's run and then just stops and allows Baird to get in behind him. He shouldn't be stepping to the ball that high up the pitch, especially with his teammate recovering.

At 4:30, I'm not sure if the disallowed goal is eventually ruled off for hand ball or offside, but again he allows two men to float by.

Maybe I'm being overly harsh, and perhaps my years as a central midfielder don't give me the necessary knowledge to finely critique centre back play, but those are just my thoughts. I will continue to be keeping my eyes on him though.

5 hours ago, masster said:

Only watched this highlight package paying special attention to Bombito and I thought his defensive awareness was not totally convincing.

The give and go between Acosta and Baird on Cincinnati's first goal goes right around Bombito. It is a nice play, so I'm not sure how much blame he gets for this one.

At 3:38 in the video, after the Colorado turnover, the team is not perfectly positioned defensively, so Bombito should follow Kubo there when he makes that run. I'm not sure if he is trying to play offside there, or just ball watching too much.

On Cincy's second goal, Bombito is tracking Baird's run and then just stops and allows Baird to get in behind him. He shouldn't be stepping to the ball that high up the pitch, especially with his teammate recovering.

At 4:30, I'm not sure if the disallowed goal is eventually ruled off for hand ball or offside, but again he allows two men to float by.

Maybe I'm being overly harsh, and perhaps my years as a central midfielder don't give me the necessary knowledge to finely critique centre back play, but those are just my thoughts. I will continue to be keeping my eyes on him though.

It's totally a fair comment, positioning and anticipation is probably the most difficult part of being a CB.  Both come with experience, hence the reason most CB's develop later compared to the more athletic and creative roles.  Moise doesn't have that much pro experience, so I hope it'll come.  He's doing a lot of the other stuff very well compared to our more experienced players.

6 hours ago, masster said:

I saw similar in the one goal against in the game before. (see above)

The good news is a lot of that is taught by another defensive leader, coach or time.

Lots of good to build on as well-noted here. 

44 minutes ago, costarg said:

It's totally a fair comment, positioning and anticipation is probably the most difficult part of being a CB.  Both come with experience, hence the reason most CB's develop later compared to the more athletic and creative roles.  Moise doesn't have that much pro experience, so I hope it'll come.  He's doing a lot of the other stuff very well compared to our more experienced players.

He has a lot of tools in the tool kit, so that creates a strong foundation for him.  If he is durable and available, is a good learner, and handles the inevitable adversity/mistakes well, the other stuff falls into place.

He looks to be a very good prospect.

Let's just keep in mind that our other MLS CBs, although very experienced, all have weaknesses that can be exploited. Levi Garcia almost single handedly destroyed our defenders in the T&T game and we were very lucky not to concede or be down 0-1 early on. Fast forward to our next 5 games and....

From a Canada perspective, I think he has to be seen as a starter either immediately or very soon.  None of Miller, MacNaughton, McGraw or Waterman have really done anything in MLS to set themselves apart from the pack - and in that context, Bombito’s speed and offensive ability on set pieces have to give him an edge.  If any of the others were top MLS CBs it would be different, but they all seem to be settling into a fairly middling group of defenders. Throw in Bombito’s age and the complete lack of pace among a few of them (mainly Miller and McGraw) and it seems like he should be worked into a starting role sooner rather than later.   

13 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Clean sheet vs. NYFC away.

Anyone get to watch it more than I did, and say how he did?

Edit - I did find this:

I watched the whole game and thought he played quite well.  On that specific play, watching it live, I thought his awareness wasn't great as he lost track of the attacker on his shoulder when the guy cut inside for the pass.  Bombito initially made a step to try to cut off the pass and realized that his guy was behind him so he used his speed to catch up on the outside and made the block.  Better positional awareness wouldn't have called for a highlight defensive play but I don't think any other Canadian CB would've had the recovery speed to make that play. Bombito not only has exceptional straight line speed but his reaction speed is also top end. 

5 hours ago, An Observer said:

It would be great to see France play a ball over the top to a sprinting Mbappe and then see Bombito chase him down and make a tackle.  That would makes his mark internationally. The fact that he speaks French can’t be bad for landing a spot in Ligue 1 as well.

That or Belgium. I don't know what they speak at Genk, but that's a club that keep popping up in my mind as a possible destination. They bought Mark McKenzie from NYCFC several years ago and he's still there, and they did business with MLS during the Pozuelo deal, so maybe that's one avenue. Another possible destination could be Antwerp, as they recently employed his Rapids teammate Sam Vines. Maybe they dip their foot back into the MLS pool and come for Bombito 

With his Athleticism I get the sense he could go to Ligue 1 right away and skip Belgium, but going to a Belgian team with European football wouldn't be a bad move, imo.

54 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That or Belgium. I don't know what they speak at Genk, but that's a club that keep popping up in my mind as a possible destination. They bought Mark McKenzie from NYCFC several years ago and he's still there, and they did business with MLS during the Pozuelo deal, so maybe that's one avenue. Another possible destination could be Antwerp, as they recently employed his Rapids teammate Sam Vines. Maybe they dip their foot back into the MLS pool and come for Bombito 

With his Athleticism I get the sense he could go to Ligue 1 right away and skip Belgium, but going to a Belgian team with European football wouldn't be a bad move, imo.

Genk and Antwerp are in Flemish speaking Belgium but in football the language is not an issue. When you are in Flemish Belgium as a tourist, they prefer if you just speak English and do have some resistance to French, but no one is expected to learn Flemish to play for a club like Bruges, Antwerp.

Then the Belgian clubs do not sign players based on their native Belgian language, don't think. 

Anyways, it'd be amazing for him to make a move that quickly.

I think they’re a good and increasingly better argument that he might actually be our best CB not based on potential, but right this second. He’s in the conversation for best CB in MLS this year, and then I guess it becomes a question of what is more impressive- that or being one of the top CBs in Sweden with a league title and national cup under your belt. I think he should get every opportunity to start until he provides he can’t handle it.

re: next club, there’s not really that much to go off of wrt young, but not prospect-age centre backs going from MLS to Europe. It’s either guys like Chris Richards and Matt Miazga going to Bayern and Chelsea as teenagers, or guys making a lateral move in their prime. I think Auston Trusty’s path is the most similar- transferee to Arsenal at 23 (from Colorado too), immediately loaned back, then loaned to Birmingham, then signed with Sheffield this season- his numbers don’t look too good, though none of their players’ do, but he is a premier league starter, at least for the next few weeks.

I think Bombito now is better than Trusty was when he was bought, so it’ll probably be different, but if/when he does move, I think the championship is a reasonable next step. Maybe France if a team takes a big flyer. 

No idea where his next move could be, but a 24 yr old, 6'3" CB who is the fastest player in MLS with less than 1 yr pro exp playing 9  games at CB  (last season mostly at FB, 14 games & 940 mins) and being mentioned as one of the best CBs in MLS this yr,  is going to attract attention. He didn't come through a traditional pro academy set up, but via NCAA where the season is short, fewer games etc. So Euro teams could still view him as a prospect with a lot of upside. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

No idea where his next move could be, but a 24 yr old, 6'3" CB who is the fastest player in MLS with less than 1 yr pro exp playing 9  games at CB  (last season mostly at FB, 14 games & 940 mins) and being mentioned as one of the best CBs in MLS this yr,  is going to attract attention. He didn't come through a traditional pro academy set up, but via NCAA where the season is short, fewer games etc. So Euro teams could still view him as a prospect with a lot of upside. 

Even as a regular CB, he wouldn’t hit his peak for another what, 3-4 seasons? A lot of time to develop still. Question is how much Colorado would want for him. I think Alistair Johnston went for €8M? You’re probably looking at 10-12 for Bombito. Wonder who pays that. 

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Even as a regular CB, he wouldn’t hit his peak for another what, 3-4 seasons? A lot of time to develop still. Question is how much Colorado would want for him. I think Alistair Johnston went for €8M? You’re probably looking at 10-12 for Bombito. Wonder who pays that. 

Johnston was 3.5M